News Disney Vacation Club billboard wrapped in scaffolding for refurbishment

nickys

Premium Member
I assume this is just updating it with some kind of promotion of current resorts. Maybe they’ll put something up about the Poly tower..

ppete1975

I assumed they were removing it... eventually its going to be a boring drive with just grass and trees until bam the entrance then a boring drive around the parking lot of cement then eventually oh theres the park. Disney used to build that excitement as soon as you were close.

Heck even the magical express had tvs that got you pumped.

Smiley/OCD

And they changed the overhead signs…but we won’t get into that…they took the ToT sign down, but the I Drive “Art installation” is the greatest thing ever…

crxbrett

Seems odd they tore down the other 3 3D billboards in the last 4 or 5 years, but decided to leave this one up. The others had features, so maybe that's why? This one isn't animated or doesn't have any moving features special effects like the others had, right?

Anybody remember when this one was erected? It's at an intersection I have probably only been through a few times in the past 25 years. It's already up on the oldest googlemap pics from '07, so it's at least that old.

Figment82

Seems odd they tore down the other 3 3D billboards in the last 4 or 5 years, but decided to leave this one up. The others had features, so maybe that's why? This one isn't animated or doesn't have any moving features special effects like the others had, right?

Anybody remember when this one was erected? It's at an intersection I have probably only been through a few times in the past 25 years. It's already up on the oldest googlemap pics from '07, so it's at least that old.

This one is positioned at the intersection in such a way that you would directly face it as you were leaving the Bonnet Creek resorts. The idea, as I always understood it, was that after you sat through a timeshare presentation at one of those non-Disney resorts, and you’re waiting at the light to turn onto BVD, you’d see this giant “magical” DVC billboard, rethink all of your timeshare buying decisions, and go with Disney instead. The location may seem relatively obscure to you, but it’s intentional, along with the wording (“Vacation ownership with true character” or something along those lines).

castlecake2.0

This one is positioned at the intersection in such a way that you would directly face it as you were leaving the Bonnet Creek resorts. The idea, as I always understood it, was that after you sat through a timeshare presentation at one of those non-Disney resorts, and you’re waiting at the light to turn onto BVD, you’d see this giant “magical” DVC billboard, rethink all of your timeshare buying decisions, and go with Disney instead. The location may seem relatively obscure to you, but it’s intentional, along with the wording (“Vacation ownership with true character” or something along those lines).
Someone can correct me but I believe this billboard predates the construction of the bonnet creek area

Figment82

Someone can correct me but I believe this billboard predates the construction of the bonnet creek area
My memory is fuzzy, so I’m more than welcome for someone to tell me I’m wrong, but I seem to recall it being built in secret around fall/winter 2005. It was wrapped up like a present with a teased unveiling (typical huge fanfare for little payoff) and I think that happened around early/spring 2006?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

This one is likely funded by DVC, which means it maybe isn't under the same budgetary restrictions as the other signs.

castlecake2.0

My memory is fuzzy, so I’m more than welcome for someone to tell me I’m wrong, but I seem to recall it being built in secret around fall/winter 2005. It was wrapped up like a present with a teased unveiling (typical huge fanfare for little payoff) and I think that happened around early/spring 2006?
That makes sense, I’m just so used to seeing it on the way to work I just feel like it’s been there forever, but would make sense they added it when the new resort area opened

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom