Disney transport doodle

kap91

Original Poster
IMG_0004.JPG
Not sure if it warrants a thread but I was talking to one of my friends that works in monorails and it inspired me to doodle up what I'd love to see for WDW's transport system. I might try making it into a more stylized transit style map but for now here it is even though I'm pretty sure it's been done before.

Basically the idea is to expand the monorail but only as the main line throughout the resort (not that that has a chance in hell of happening). The TTC area would be reconfigured so that the express and Epcot lines became the same line. The TTC itself would largely be dismantled in favor of a new TTC and central transit hub with a massive parking structure intending to be the main parking area for all guests visiting the resort. The parking structure would probably need tomorrowland scale people movers running through it to the transit hub and possibly also to the front gate of DHS. The other parking lots would likely remain for overflow, special events etc.

The other main line is light rail that would run along buena vista drive, possibly grade separated at points.

Each park would get it's own bus rapid transit loop (with the exception of the magic kingdom since the resort monorail line remains). There's some of these systems in use in South America and I think they're brilliant. It's like light rail just on tires. Dedicated lanes, level entrances, indoor stations, etc.

I'm also bringing back the steam train to Ft. Wilderness. A few buses might still need to run there, but I'd love at least for the main route from the front entrance to Pioneer hall to be on the rails. (Ft. Wilderness is one of my favorite areas at the world).

Boat transportation would remain pretty much the same, perhaps with a few more boats. I like the idea of extending the disney springs waterway to ft. Wilderness but that seems like it wouldn't have much benefit and this plan is supposed to be semi-realistic.

Finally a couple regular shuttles round out the few odd ends. The stations aren't in their exact locations but close..ideally you'd never need a car anywhere at the resort and it'd take less than 15 minutes to get anywhere.

Oh and the new TTC/hub would be built to allow room for Orlando's train down I4 if they ever actually end up building it.

Love to hear your thoughts.

ThemeParkPriest

My background is in public transportation. I got interested in it, in part, after trips to Disneyland and WDW.
It would be neat to think around how your idea might be updated now with the inclusion of the Skyliner. I hear they are going to expand it to Disney Springs in Phase 2 (and maybe Animal Kingdom in Phase 3).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom