News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve never been alive when Disney wasn’t doing the Candlelight Processional. It’s just a part of the Disney experience just like the American Flag Retreat ceremony.

Not being 100% about adding a “pride mural” to the parks does not equal hate. “Pride” is a modern day movement. Some think it’s political, some don’t. Wikipedia says “The rainbow flag is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride and LGBT social movements.” - it’s the social movements part that makes this tricky for me.

On the list of Disney World concerns for me it’s pretty low but it’s not something I think that has been fully thought through by management.

Brian

Yes, but we both know full well that the posts that were deleted today didn't stop at taking issue with the mural.
I wouldn't have gone so far as one member did vis-a-vis Christianity (I think that's the one you're referring to), but I also don't think it rose the level of hate or LGBT erasure. Perhaps I missed something.

That said, this is Steve's site, and he's welcome to moderate as he sees fit.

The Mom

Premium Member
I wouldn't have gone so far as one member did vis-a-vis Christianity (I think that's the one you're referring to), but I also don't think it rose the level of hate or LGBT erasure. Perhaps I missed something.

Saying that someone could be considered an abomination isn't hateful? Perhaps you missed it.

Brian

Saying that someone could be considered an abomination isn't hateful? Perhaps you missed it.
Of course. ETA: ...it's hateful.

I run in a pretty conservative circle (surprise, I know), and listen to quite a bit of conservative media. I don't know a single person who feels that way.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Are you really going to maintain that a moderated Disney fansite should allow comments condemning other posters to literal hell?! We've reached a pretty absurd point in the discussion if you're finding yourself defending such speech.

LittleBuford

Then again, perhaps a Disney forum is the right place for it . . .

3d88a246-ec13-47f2-86be-44a52d263776_text.gif

Brian

Are you really going to maintain that a moderated Disney fansite should allow messages condemning other posters to literal hell?!
No. I did not see that post, actually.

We've reached a pretty absurd place if you're finding yourself defending such speech.
I defend the right to speak one's mind freely, including speech which has attacked me personally for my demographics. However, I would condemn the example you gave as hateful.

Yet it was posted here, and was removed.
I only bring up the rarity of these views to highlight how it does not represent mainstream conservatism.

Was this comment in the context of strictly "This is what the Bible says..." or explicitly "You are going to hell for being LGBT?"

Both are bad, but the latter is far, far worse.

Last edited:

maemae74

She identifies as bi right now. I say right now because she has explained to me she has wanted to be in mutual non-sexual relationships with either before. But she hasn't had attraction towards anyone that she would want to kiss. So it's very much her being aware of what she feels and growing herself.
She's always been outspoken about supporting LQGBT including at school, and her friend with same sex parents when bullies bugged her friends, so it may partially be to blame. She wanted to start a support club after school, but there still alot of fear of targeting, mainly from parents sadly. She already lost 1 friend who isn't allowed to speak to her due to parents finding out she supported LGBTQ. Then there's TicTok she has, with supervision been allowed to start recently, much of it is sharing funny videos and resharing the local Pride Group info, etc. The other part is she's part of the "freak" crowd. i.e. she doesn't dress like the popular ones. Here it's still much of a if you wear X brand you're cool, if not you're poor and not worth talking to. So big mixed bag of "what the heck do you have a problem with now".
She is young so lots of time to figure that out. I feel teenagers are incredibly cruel these days not like back in the 80's. I mean we had mean girls and I regretfully say that I was one of them but nothing like today. My heart really does go out to this generation.

Jenny72

Even though I'm straight, I've always felt a sort of camaraderie with LGBTQ+ people or anyone who's been marginalized or made to question whether they're as good as everyone else. I grew up in a very problematic environment for other reasons, so I always feel like "yay!" when I see stuff like this at Disney or anywhere else. Gives me hope. I'd like to be an honorary member of the community, if you'll have me. :)

LittleBuford

Placement. Adding a mural that represents a modern day movement inside the parks is an interesting move. It’s like plopping modern marvel characters into the parks.
It's in Tomorrowland, right? I don't see the anachronism.

And more than theme, I think the determining factor was the presence of the already iconic Purple Wall. In that regard, the mural seems pretty well placed to me, and it looks damn good against that purple.

Patcheslee

She is young so lots of time to figure that out. I feel teenagers are incredibly cruel these days not like back in the 80's. I mean we had mean girls and I regretfully say that I was one of them but nothing like today. My heart really does go out to this generation.
It's definitely vicious, after talking with a few coworkers with older girls, middle school seems to be the roughest for general bullying for appearance or opinions. Worst thing I dealt with in middle school 92-94 was jealousy because I was a tomboy and hung out with mostly guys, played ball, and read alot.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think social media makes it easier to be cruel but people overall seem much more accepting now than a few decades ago, coming out in the 80s could mean complete and total isolation, now your likely to find some support at least.

maemae74

It's definitely vicious, after talking with a few coworkers with older girls, middle school seems to be the roughest for general bullying for appearance or opinions. Worst thing I dealt with in middle school 92-94 was jealousy because I was a tomboy and hung out with mostly guys, played ball, and read alot.
Both of my kids attend/attended private school so the drama was/is at a minimum. My daughter now in college and part of a Greek life system that has recently become very popular on social media has told of some drama but mostly all rooted in the opposite sex. My son who is in high school only cares about sports and is obviously a boy so they stay pretty drama free. Tell your daughter to keep her head up none of this will matter in college.

ImperfectPixie

I think social media makes it easier to be cruel but people overall seem much more accepting now than a few decades ago, coming out in the 80s could mean complete and total isolation, now your likely to find some support at least.
IMO, for kids, at least, a ton depends on the leadership at the school they attend. Some schools have an atmosphere that virtually fosters bullying. Others are so warm and welcoming that you can see it in the students and how they treat each other even in passing. (Speaking from experience. My son was bullied IN CLASS in one middle school...and felt like a celebrity after we transferred him.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom