Disney to Sell Vista Way Apartments

Lilofan

From the comments I'm seeing here, shining a black light on the walls might tell... um, very interesting stories indeed.
I wouldn't even shine a black light in a Orlando hotel room. I also avoid using the room blanket and instead use the cleaned bed sheets as my blanket. I know that many who have used the room slept with their body oils with the same blanket that hardly gets cleaned.

peter11435

It makes sense, I also hate how much**land they’ve sold off, there’s land clearing going on right now on 192 and now you can see the top of DAK lodge from the road. Vista is just such a small piece of real estate already surrounded by hotels and time shares I can see them just wanting rid of it. I was hoping they’d keep one of the housing complexes at little lake Bryan available for cast housing (either commons, Chatham or Patterson) they’re nicer, newer, in a better location, and are next to Cast recreation area mickeys retreat.
It’s also interesting that they sell off land in some places, then buy more in others. I think over the last couple years they’ve bought close to 3,000 acres around celebration and to the west of magic kingdom. It seems they’re possibly trying to let go of pieces they know they’ll never use and create a buffer around their more important assets, like the recent land purchase near MK.
You’ve been able to see the top of AKL from parts of 192 since it was built. The worst is the signs on 192 you can see from some of the resort balconies

castlecake2.0

You’ve been able to see the top of AKL from parts of 192 since it was built. The worst is the signs on 192 you can see from some of the resort balconies
Yah I’m concerned with the most recent land clearing, it’s getting close to the property line. Wonder if they’ll add some vegetation. They cleared all the land where the red is probably to add more retail/food, and I’m assuming the property line is somewhere near the green line?
9D0A7E40-5D26-41C8-A6D6-0BC05BD89F5A.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
Yah I’m concerned with the most recent land clearing, it’s getting close to the property line. Wonder if they’ll add some vegetation. They cleared all the land where the red is probably to add more retail/food, and I’m assuming the property line is somewhere near the green line?

This is what is going in that spot - the yellow boxes are residential units.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 12.57.32 PM.png

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Yah I’m concerned with the most recent land clearing, it’s getting close to the property line. Wonder if they’ll add some vegetation. They cleared all the land where the red is probably to add more retail/food, and I’m assuming the property line is somewhere near the green line? View attachment 546868

Because of this clearing you can now very clearly see AKL, or the DVC part anyway.

JoeCamel

While the Reedy Creek Improvement District shields Disney from input on development it does not shield them from public criticism. Stories about Cast Members living in their cars is not something Disney wants and we’ve already seen them respond with pay increases and the addition of benefits.

The problem of tourism employees living in lousy conditions won’t go away because the Orlando area already has an abnormally high cost of housing. Universal has responded by offering land for the development of 1,000 affordable housing units. Disney now has surplus units that could be more cheaply be converted instead of later potentially having to donate for new construction.
Maybe they know about the hotubs and decided to wash their hands of the whole mess. Make it somebody else's problem

Tink76

Idiots. Rent them out as affordable housing and continue to control the property.
The amount of urban sprawl in the last 15 years is crazy. I-4 has become a parking lot product due to the theme parks which in turn saw an explosion of so many hotels, stores, and restaurants trying to cash in on the fatted calf, which in turn created a need for workers. One less hotel on property would not hurt Disney and that money filtered into the parks would make it a better experience.
just saw to my surprise today... another new hotel.. they truly don’t need another convention center by the Swan and Dolphin. Yet there it is higher and bigger than the original buildings. Ridiculous!

Lilofan

Good Job, Universal, for stepping up to the plate on affordable housing. Disney's answer? Sell Vista Waaaaaaay.
Disney may not have stepped up regarding Vista but Disney has stepped up in giving an opportunity to cast to go to take college courses and have their tuition paid for by Disney. Universal hasn't done this.

Disorbust

Disney is offering their Flamingo Crossings now to cast but its not that much cheaper then a regular apartment. You save on utilities basically. Rent is based on a dollar amount/sq ft and the prices wether Orlando or Milwaukee, WI are just nuts.

My Daughters lived at Citra in Windermere and there were a ton of apartments where multiple famlies were living together when maximum occupancy, according to the lease, was 2/bedroom. Not sure if occupancy is a law/fire code or just a suggestion but it is how they high rents are getting paid. The apartment companies will never enforce occupancy because then IMHO they would have to lower the rents.

There was a thread on Twitter about the new American Dream for Millennials is now gone from 2.5 kids, house with a picket fence to affording an apartment on your own and having 5 house plants.

We'll see how "affordable" Universals housing is but I'm not holding my breath. They may be recognizing that they will be facing a huge work force issue in the future and are trying to get ahead of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom