News Disney to reveal more about the future of Epcot at D23 Expo 2019

ChrisFL

Premium Member
My unfounded theory is that the ideals that built Epcot were already doomed once the new regime took over around 1983-1984. Yes we did get a few things happen after, such as a late opening Living Seas and 2 new countries, but beyond that....the decline started in the early 90's and it never recovered since.

Some could argue that the replacement of Communicore with Innoventions was also a step backwards. I'm on the fence on that. At least initially there was a lot to do in Innoventions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My unfounded theory is that the ideals that built Epcot were already doomed once the new regime took over around 1983-1984. Yes we did get a few things happen after, such as a late opening Living Seas and 2 new countries, but beyond that....the decline started in the early 90's and it never recovered since.

Some could argue that the replacement of Communicore with Innoventions was also a step backwards. I'm on the fence on that. At least initially there was a lot to do in Innoventions.

It’s the sponsorship that killed it...can’t expect stock companies to pay your bills.

That and after the internet there is little draw to advertisers

My unfounded theory

Last edited:

Janir

Iger, Chapek, et al, couldn’t find their with two hands and a map. What makes anyone think they have the slightest clue what “timeless” means at one of their theme parks, let alone know what makes Epcot, Epcot?
Wether we like it or not, Iger's the CEO and Chapek is his subordinate in charge of the Parks, they get to define for Disney what is timeless for their theme parks.

lazyboy97o

Not really unfounded. Michael Eisner just not understanding EPCOT Center is rather well noted. The park was also the scapegoat that justified Roy Disney’s actions leading to his job.

junglecruise93

The difference between OG Future World and now is all of this information is available through YouTube on a smart phone.
This is true, however...I can also "ride" just about any ride in WDW on Youtube...there is something about seeing it live and in-person that makes a difference. A 25 foot tall replica of a cell tower in the middle of CCE or CCW surrounded by kiosks that allow for interaction and the ability to "see" light pathways representing signals fly through the air when I press a button takes on a whole different meaning from watching a youtube video.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is true, however...I can also "ride" just about any ride in WDW on Youtube...there is something about seeing it live and in-person that makes a difference. A 25 foot tall replica of a cell tower in the middle of CCE or CCW surrounded by kiosks that allow for interaction and the ability to "see" light pathways representing signals fly through the air when I press a button takes on a whole different meaning from watching a youtube video.
Not if you make excuses for every decision Disney makes...even the dumb ones. Defense first, thought (optional) later

jt04

This would be very cool at a Science and Technology museum. Not sure there's much demand for such at a Disney theme park. IMO.

Magenta Panther

None of this is...unexpected.

Walt's dream of Epcot never materialized and never will. Perhaps, even if it had, there would have been issues, as I've previously discussed in earlier posts. Technology changes so fast now that exhibits and rides based on such would likely be obsolete almost immediately after being built. Walt, for all that he was a visionary, could not conceive of the future power and efficacy of computers. So I hate to say this, but Epcot as Walt envisioned it was perhaps not meant to be. It could have bankrupted his company. What a bummer.

As for these changes...Future World and like have had identity issues for some time. I have to confess that I rarely venture into that part of Epcot - I much prefer World Showcase. I really don't know yet how I feel about upcoming changes to Future World etc. But I do understand that there has to be changes. I just wish that, at the very least, Dreamfinder and Figment would be restored to their roles as ambassadors to that part of Epcot. They're the only IP that has the right to be there IMO. But we'll see what happens...

Mac Tonight

None of this is...unexpected.

Walt's dream of Epcot never materialized and never will. Perhaps, even if it had, there would have been issues, as I've previously discussed in earlier posts. Technology changes so fast now that exhibits and rides based on such would likely be obsolete almost immediately after being built. Walt, for all that he was a visionary, could not conceive of the future power and efficacy of computers. So I hate to say this, but Epcot as Walt envisioned it was perhaps not meant to be. It could have bankrupted his company. What a bummer.

As for these changes...Future World and like have had identity issues for some time. I have to confess that I rarely venture into that part of Epcot - I much prefer World Showcase. I really don't know yet how I feel about upcoming changes to Future World etc. But I do understand that there has to be changes. I just wish that, at the very least, Dreamfinder and Figment would be restored to their roles as ambassadors to that part of Epcot. They're the only IP that has the right to be there IMO. But we'll see what happens...
I don't know that you'll find many people who thought the actual city of Walt's Epcot would have been a huge success. At least for more than 5 years. In a lot of ways, I'm glad we got the theme park instead.

Having said that, I am wary of management's current handling of it, while constantly spouting that they "understand" what makes Epcot, Epcot. They have yet to even remotely prove that. I am all for changes coming to FW, but they have to be smart, thought out, creative, and ultimately inspiring. Sadly, those are 4 adjectives that seem to get auto-corrected in Disney's brains as Disney IP, Disney IP, Disney IP, and Disney IP.

WDWFREAK53

So what would be?

I mean...just off the top of my head... LOL
1. Living Seas: Mariana Trench Exploration submarine simulator.
2. The Land: Good as is...update Living with the Land
3. Journey Into Imagination: Take the original attraction and add today's tech with new effects and better animatronics. Bring the playful Figment back. Remove the theater and create a new Table-Service restaurant where you can design your own meals and color your own little "booth/pod". If you want to eat under the sea, go ahead...if you'd rather eat on the desert...be our guest...how about space? (See what I did there?)
4. Spaceship Earth: Keep the theme...just update the scenes to make it thrilling (not thrilling in the sense that your ride vehicles fly down a coaster track or get launched). Have the scenes tell the same story but interact with the ride vehicles. Rather than driving by the scenes...make it seem as if you're a part of the scenes.
5. Guardians is a done deal.
6. Wonders of Life: Inside Out as your IP. Have a simulator attraction based around the "Train of Thought" and along the ride different scenes and effects evoke your feelings... Joy could try and combat all of the other feelings and at the end, come together and show that all the feelings need to work together to get through a day. Have a Sunshine Seasons type of Food Court in it. Each section devoted to the emotions. The Disgust area could be pretty daring. Fear could have "monster" themed items... Joy could be desserts...
7. Mission:Space: Revamp the ride itself. The restaurant is a step in the right direction and screams "opening day Epcot" to me.
8. Test Track: The ride system isn't going away... To me, I'd like to see them mix a little of the old with some new. Maybe split the attraction down the middle (one side of the track show how they tested and designed cars in the past...and the other side will show how they do it now or in the future). Same track...same ride...but it would showcase how far we've come and where we could go. I'd also close in the outdoor section with screen tech to make the cars appear to go faster.
9: Spine area behind Spaceship Earth: Make a two-story Carousel of Progress which has more scenes (center stage raises...and the seats rotate around). The inside of the walls will be circle-vision style screens and it will show the Future World spine area as it was during each time...and as the scenes change, the exterior would start to be built up to what we have today...and beyond)
10. Mexico: Coco themed. Really highlight Dia De Las Muertos.
11. Norway: This isn't changing...
12. China: Leave as is...
13. Germany: Add the Rhine River Cruise
14. New Country: Egypt
15. Italy: Leave as is.
16. American Adventure: Update show with new tech and ending
17. Japan: Mt. Fuji Coaster
18. Morocco: Leave as is
19. France: Leave as is (with Ratatouille)
20. United Kingdom: Mary Poppins dark ride...starting on a carousel horse, it then attaches to a track that brings you through the chalk-drawing countryside and finishes in a horse-race.
21. Canada: Leave as is

trainplane3

Since we expect more IP everywhere in Epcot, I thought this would be a interesting quote for this thread:

Personal take:
Some parks would rely on IP because that was the only way to be noticed while Disney stood out and did it's own thing while bringing in customers. If you can't beat them, join them. Or if you want to beat them into a pulp, then join them anyways.

Last edited:

Imagineer777

I mean...just off the top of my head... LOL
1. Living Seas: Mariana Trench Exploration submarine simulator.
2. The Land: Good as is...update Living with the Land
3. Journey Into Imagination: Take the original attraction and add today's tech with new effects and better animatronics. Bring the playful Figment back. Remove the theater and create a new Table-Service restaurant where you can design your own meals and color your own little "booth/pod". If you want to eat under the sea, go ahead...if you'd rather eat on the desert...be our guest...how about space? (See what I did there?)
4. Spaceship Earth: Keep the theme...just update the scenes to make it thrilling (not thrilling in the sense that your ride vehicles fly down a coaster track or get launched). Have the scenes tell the same story but interact with the ride vehicles. Rather than driving by the scenes...make it seem as if you're a part of the scenes.
5. Guardians is a done deal.
6. Wonders of Life: Inside Out as your IP. Have a simulator attraction based around the "Train of Thought" and along the ride different scenes and effects evoke your feelings... Joy could try and combat all of the other feelings and at the end, come together and show that all the feelings need to work together to get through a day. Have a Sunshine Seasons type of Food Court in it. Each section devoted to the emotions. The Disgust area could be pretty daring. Fear could have "monster" themed items... Joy could be desserts...
7. Mission:Space: Revamp the ride itself. The restaurant is a step in the right direction and screams "opening day Epcot" to me.
8. Test Track: The ride system isn't going away... To me, I'd like to see them mix a little of the old with some new. Maybe split the attraction down the middle (one side of the track show how they tested and designed cars in the past...and the other side will show how they do it now or in the future). Same track...same ride...but it would showcase how far we've come and where we could go. I'd also close in the outdoor section with screen tech to make the cars appear to go faster.
9: Spine area behind Spaceship Earth: Make a two-story Carousel of Progress which has more scenes (center stage raises...and the seats rotate around). The inside of the walls will be circle-vision style screens and it will show the Future World spine area as it was during each time...and as the scenes change, the exterior would start to be built up to what we have today...and beyond)
10. Mexico: Coco themed. Really highlight Dia De Las Muertos.
11. Norway: This isn't changing...
12. China: Leave as is...
13. Germany: Add the Rhine River Cruise
14. New Country: Egypt
15. Italy: Leave as is.
16. American Adventure: Update show with new tech and ending
17. Japan: Mt. Fuji Coaster
18. Morocco: Leave as is
19. France: Leave as is (with Ratatouille)
20. United Kingdom: Mary Poppins dark ride...starting on a carousel horse, it then attaches to a track that brings you through the chalk-drawing countryside and finishes in a horse-race.
21. Canada: Leave as is
That's a great list! Some of my fantasy picks would also be to put in either an Aladdin dark ride or Magic Carpet Ride (in the style of FOP) in Morroco, Pinnochio's Daring Journey in Italy, and ideally Captain Marvel in Mission: Space SHIELD to have a small Marvel Cosmic "sub-land"

Mac Tonight

Since we expect more IP everywhere in Epcot, I thought this would be a interesting quote for this thread:

Some parks would rely on IP because that was the only way to be noticed while Disney stood out and did it's own thing while bringing in customers. If you can't beat them, join them. Or if you want to beat them into a pulp, then join them anyways.

That man is an idiot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom