News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

drnilescrane

The Disney Store will allow the vaccinated to shop maskless (so, effectively no one needs a mask in practice).
Which makes this thread amusing, because in the non unionized stores it shows exactly where Disney’s intentions lie on the matter. My understanding is that the hold up has been getting a new union agreeement around safety measures going forward, both on and off stage. That should be resolved at WDW in the next week - CMs are very much over enforcing a rule that applies nowhere else for the average guest. They just want the right to be able to keep wearing theirs as long as they feel more comfortable doing so (and probably not to be forced to be vaccinated or disclose their status).

Last edited:

doctornick

The Disney Store will allow the vaccinated to shop maskless (so, effectively no one needs a mask in practice).

View attachment 562919

Hmmm. I read that as "all childen 2-11 require face coverings in addition to everyone over 12 who is not vaccinated". I don't see how that's "effectively no one" - in practicality, sure, few adults might end up wearing a mask since you wouldn't expect all who are unvaccinated to do so but if an establish really wanted to make due this rule is followed.... the only real way would be to require everyone to wear masks (since they cannot determine vaccination status, nor would it be practical anyway).

Now, I'm not saying that an establishment needs to require "all unvaccinated need to wear masks" but if they want to be following that - and it is the CDC guidelines at this time - the only effective way is just to continue to require masks for everyone. I don't know what Disney will do but given how conservative they have been on this issue, I'd personally be surprised if they stop indoor mask wear at least for a little while

ToTBellHop

Hmmm. I read that as "all childen 2-11 require face coverings in addition to everyone over 12 who is not vaccinated". I don't see how that's "effectively no one" - in practicality, sure, few adults might end up wearing a mask since you wouldn't expect all who are unvaccinated to do so but if an establish really wanted to make due this rule is followed.... the only real way would be to require everyone to wear masks (since they cannot determine vaccination status, nor would it be practical anyway).

Now, I'm not saying that an establishment needs to require "all unvaccinated need to wear masks" but if they want to be following that - and it is the CDC guidelines at this time - the only effective way is just to continue to require masks for everyone. I don't know what Disney will do but given how conservative they have been on this issue, I'd personally be surprised if they stop indoor mask wear at least for a little while
Everywhere that has said “no masks for the vaccinated” means “for anyone” and they are well aware of that. This is clear notice of the company’s intentions.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member

You're assuming that the establishment "really wants" the rule to be followed and that they feel responsible for enforcing it. That's not what I'm seeing where I live. Stores were definitely enforcing mask-wearing when it was required by law, but now that we're just talking about CDC guidelines, stores are just putting up signs. I can guarantee you they aren't looking to enforce masks on 2-year-olds when adults aren't wearing them.

ppete1975

No way there are enough of those to make a material difference. He's looking at all APs. I would be surprised to see APs return at WDW, and even if they do, I'd look for them to be replaced with some kind of membership system like whatever DLR ends up with.
at disneyland theres a huge percentage of youtubers bloggers and people that go almost daily... world is much more vacation oriented

correcaminos

No way there are enough of those to make a material difference. He's looking at all APs. I would be surprised to see APs return at WDW, and even if they do, I'd look for them to be replaced with some kind of membership system like whatever DLR ends up with.
DLR & WDW are totally different beasts when it comes to APs

Tom P.

Regarding children, I think it is well known at this point that the CDC is going to issue updated guidance for them in the near future that basically says they children younger than 12, who can't be vaccinated at this point, don't really need to be wearing masks in school. Walensky herself basically said as much on TV. The exact timing of that update is uncertain, but it's coming. Now, while the CDC may focus specifically on schools, that is essentially going to be the final shoe to drop. If children and adults can be congregated together in a school all day long without masks, it makes no sense what-so-ever to require them to wear them when making a trip to Walmart or going on a ride at Disney. And no one is going to enforce masks on young children at that point, if they are even enforcing them now.

ToTBellHop

Regarding children, I think it is well known at this point that the CDC is going to issue updated guidance for them in the near future that basically says they children younger than 12, who can't be vaccinated at this point, don't really need to be wearing masks in school. Walensky herself basically said as much on TV. The exact timing of that update is uncertain, but it's coming. Now, while the CDC may focus specifically on schools, that is essentially going to be the final shoe to drop. If children and adults can be congregated together in a school all day long without masks, it makes no sense what-so-ever to require them to wear them when making a trip to Walmart or going on a ride at Disney. And no one is going to enforce masks on young children at that point, if they are even enforcing them now.
Yes. It appears they just want to let this school year end first, which I understand since they get the positive publicity but also effectively push off the issue a couple months.

It‘s worth remembering that it was school guidance that reduced distancing from 6 ft to 3 ft and everyone ran with that. They never said “3 feet is good enough between restaurant tables” but we are seeing that anyway.

What is safe enough for kids is safe enough for everyone.

jaklgreen

Really looking forward to a maskless trip come August, although the tough part really was the outdoor masks in September last year, really brutal and I made great use of the relaxation stations :joyfull:
Same. I made 3 trips since reopening and the mask wearing as it got hotter, got harder. My last trip a few weeks ago, I spent less time in the parks because it just got to be too much. And I wear a mask all day at work so am used to masks. But add the heat and humidity and it starts to get to you. I am going again for the 50th and am so looking forward to a more normal WDW.

doctornick

Everywhere that has said “no masks for the vaccinated” means “for anyone” and they are well aware of that. This is clear notice of the company’s intentions.

Just to be clear about my point: I totally get that "no masks for vaccinated" essentially means that almost no one will wear a mask... in a store or restaurant or such. I'm not sure you can extrapolate that to WDW though. If a store doesn't bother to enforce a mask policy, no one care or will do anything about it. It's just a CYA posting that is meaningless.

But WDW is a whole different animal because of media and public attention, more than other theme parks as has been mentioned often. And the problem is kids. If Disney has an official policy of "unvaccinated need to be masked" and they have craploads of kids 2-11 years old running around in their parks, they either have to be bad guys and police them (don't see that happening) or get criticized for having policies and not following them (basically, lying about safety). I think it's a hard situation and any media attention will be on "Disney doesn't care about protecting kids" who can't be vaccinated. I just don't think they can ignore the obvious inconsistency by not enforcing masks when they obviously "should be" based on their rule. It's simpler and "more fair" to just keep on having masks indoors for everyone for the time being. That puts them in total compliance with CDC recommendations (albeit overkill by having vaccinated people wearing masks). Just IMHO

Now, if the CDC does indeed announce that children under 12 do not need to mask due to low transmission rates/infection risks/etc, then that's massive. Sure, once that happens, I could see Disney rapidly removing any mask mandates.

ToTBellHop

Just to be clear about my point: I totally get that "no masks for vaccinated" essentially means that almost no one will wear a mask... in a store or restaurant or such. I'm not sure you can extrapolate that to WDW though. If a store doesn't bother to enforce a mask policy, no one care or will do anything about it. It's just a CYA posting that is meaningless.

But WDW is a whole different animal because of media and public attention, more than other theme parks as has been mentioned often. And the problem is kids. If Disney has an official policy of "unvaccinated need to be masked" and they have craploads of kids 2-11 years old running around in their parks, they either have to be bad guys and police them (don't see that happening) or get criticized for having policies and not following them (basically, lying about safety). I think it's a hard situation and any media attention will be on "Disney doesn't care about protecting kids" who can't be vaccinated. I just don't think they can ignore the obvious inconsistency by not enforcing masks when they obviously "should be" based on their rule. It's simpler and "more fair" to just keep on having masks indoors for everyone for the time being. That puts them in total compliance with CDC recommendations (albeit overkill by having vaccinated people wearing masks). Just IMHO

Now, if the CDC does indeed announce that children under 12 do not need to mask due to low transmission rates/infection risks/etc, then that's massive. Sure, once that happens, I could see Disney rapidly removing any mask mandates.
They will absolutely remove mask mandates before children are vaccinated. The question is when.

doctornick

They will absolutely remove mask mandates before children are vaccinated. The question is when.
Okay, I don’t disagree. I’m suggesting that when/if the CDC comes out and says that children don’t need masks indoors (regardless of vaccination status) then it will provide the cover they need to just drop any remaining restrictions.

DisneyCane

Also, CA officially announced that masks will not be mandatory at large outdoor events (such as Disneyland) starting June 15. I’d expect this one to be a 2fer.
Is CA the only State left with a mask mandate or are there others?

Lots of people (depending on the area) still wear masks in stores. Whether or not they are the unvaccinated or the vaccinated is not clear.

The thing is that Disney really can't enforce an "unvaccinated have to wear masks policy" at WDW due to executive order and soon to be Florida law.

What could they do, have you show your CDC card for a no mask wristband? That certainly would be a lot of payroll and then it would be difficult to enforce in queues anyway.

They need to have a blanket policy one way or the other. Either keep it as now and make the vaccinated unnecessarily wear masks indoors or go with the honor system and don't make any attempt to enforce it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't see how it is "respectful" for somebody who is fully vaccinated to put on a mask when approaching a CM outdoors (the only place they aren't required at WDW). The CDC has concluded that outdoors is extremely low risk for the unvaccinated.

I really don't get how something that was science based before vaccines were available is morphing into a virtue signaling exercise.

I can understand somebody who still feels safer masking when they don't have to but to do it to show respect just doesn't compute but that's just my opinion.
CM or any person I'm interacting with doesn't know my vaccination status. So for me - its not hard to put it on to talk to them then take it off when I walk away. Its about making them feel more comfortable for me.

I'm not saying everyone has to do what I do - its MY personal choice.

GimpYancIent

Is CA the only State left with a mask mandate or are there others?

Lots of people (depending on the area) still wear masks in stores. Whether or not they are the unvaccinated or the vaccinated is not clear.

The thing is that Disney really can't enforce an "unvaccinated have to wear masks policy" at WDW due to executive order and soon to be Florida law.

What could they do, have you show your CDC card for a no mask wristband? That certainly would be a lot of payroll and then it would be difficult to enforce in queues anyway.

They need to have a blanket policy one way or the other. Either keep it as now and make the vaccinated unnecessarily wear masks indoors or go with the honor system and don't make any attempt to enforce it.
I believe the direction things are going is for guests to be requested (not directed) to wear masks in indoor areas if not vaccinated and / or if vaccinated and they feel more comfortable with one on they can choose to do so. An audio announcement utilizing a pleasant voice would do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom