News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A year ago people who were uncomfortable wearing masks were ridiculed, called babies and told to get over themselves. Now the vaccinated people who can’t stop wearing masks despite the CDC’s position that they’re not necessary are demanding that their comfort level be given consideration. Okay.

what’s great is that we don’t live on a planet where you reap what you sow👍🏻

ppete1975

We are DVC owners and Platinum Plus Annual holders. We visit 4 times a year and spend tons in the stores and restaurants. If we couldn't have an annual pass we would probably stop going. I certainly hope Disney appreciates us snd understands that it is mutually beneficial.
they are looking at people that try to go daily, youtubers, vloggers, people who drop their kids off. I assume disneyland had alot more of that than the world.

Disney Glimpses

Non-resort Guests are not the "lower priority/low spend guests". I'd call them middle priority. They spend a lot on their daily ticket and almost certainly a lot on food and souvenirs.

From his statement at last month's J.P. Morgan conference, it's clear who Chapek thinks (knows) who are low priority Guests:

We took the opportunity to revisit sort of our legacy operations to improve the yield because it is the ultimate in a capacity-constrained environment but also to improve our guest experience where we've had an opportunity to look at things like pricing and ticketing outside the constraint of an ongoing concern and ongoing business when we shut down for a year. So that really gave us the opportunity to say, when we emerge, how do we want to emerge and how does that fit our yielding strategy and our guest experience strategy? Things like annual pass. There's probably no better example here than annual pass, where it's a legacy system, and people keep signing up year after year after year, which may or may not play into your yield management strategy in an ideal way. So we had a chance to thoughtfully and thoroughly reconsider that.​
Annual Pass Holders who do not stay onsite are in Chapek's crosshairs. Chapek is looking at these with a microscope.

With no blockout dates, a "high tier AP" just makes the parks more crowded on what should be Disney's most profitable days. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Chapek values an offsite Platinum APH anywhere near as much as he values an onsite Resort Guest who between hotel, ticket, and food, is spending hundreds of dollars per person each day.
Very good points. I do wonder if they will tier even non-resort guests. For example, is somone with a 1 or 2 day ticket less likely to spend money than someone with a 7 day? But fair points all around.

Alternatively, despite those guests spending money, they still could use exemption from the park pass system as a perk for staying on site.

danv3

they are looking at people that try to go daily, youtubers, vloggers, people who drop their kids off. I assume disneyland had alot more of that than the world.
No way there are enough of those to make a material difference. He's looking at all APs. I would be surprised to see APs return at WDW, and even if they do, I'd look for them to be replaced with some kind of membership system like whatever DLR ends up with.

DisneyCane

No way there are enough of those to make a material difference. He's looking at all APs. I would be surprised to see APs return at WDW, and even if they do, I'd look for them to be replaced with some kind of membership system like whatever DLR ends up with.
I don't think it is vloggers and the like. It is more the locals who just pop in frequently because the passes are unlimited (except for blackouts) and it's something to do. They don't spend nearly as much because they can have meals at home and don't need to buy souvenirs constantly.

I'm a Gold Passholder and I live 3 1/2 hours south of WDW. Even if I do a once-in-a-while crazy drive up for opening, spend 6 hours at a park and drive home, I always end up buying something to eat or drink. Plus, the distance limits my usage. The pass comes out cheaper than buying the same number of days that I end up visiting in a year, especially with the free parking.

I end up with 7-10 days per year that I actually go to a park. For somebody like me, if it was more like a discounted flex ticket where for the same price I was limited to 21 days or something like that, it wouldn't be a big deal since the distance and the fact that every visit is a short road trip limits me anyway.

If I lived 20 minutes from WDW, there'd be a lot of days that I'd just pop into a park for 2-3 hours to hit a few rides for something to do that I've already paid for. In that scenario, Disney isn't going to get much additional revenue from me.

legwand77

I think it’s very dependent on where you are living. Where I am everyone still generally masks up inside stores. And kids are still wearing masks in schools. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to think Disney has the same protocols at this time.

Furthermore some people would probably feel less at ease without safety protocols at a crowded place with people from all over like WDW than they do at their local grocery store.

Note: personally I don’t care if WDW got rid of masks ASAP. Wouldn’t worry or bother me if I were there. But I think some here are overselling how commonplace it is that mask mandates have stopped. There still a lot of places that have them in place and a lot of people who would feel uncomfortable without them indoors.
Considering most all other parks are not requiring masks indoors leads to most guests not expecting masks to be required indoors

doctornick

Considering most all other parks are not requiring masks indoors leads to most guests not expecting masks to be required indoors
Most people going to WDW aren't paying any attention to what other parks are doing. It's not like some couple from Chicago is going to look at Sea World's mask policy when they are planning their WDW trip.

What people are looking at is what is happening around them. A lot of places in this country still require - or at least strongly encourage - mask use indoors. My children are all still wearing masks all day at school; it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect WDW to have similar policies.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The Disney Store will allow the vaccinated to shop maskless (so, effectively no one needs a mask in practice).

85760F1D-1DF4-4A0F-BD19-C1D303F52E03.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom