News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickp1983

Wow. Disney figured out what to do about the kids and how to tell inside from outside. Amazing.
Right? I'm kind of laughing at people who think this relaxing of a rule is some huge burden. Businesses have been doing this since well, April last year.
Someone at the door reminding people to put their masks on.
I've seen 16 year olds at Publix do this, so I have no doubt doubt the wonderful CMs at Disney can adapt and remember "that 2 year old in her stroller outside drinking her juice box, is 100% fine"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If a family has an immuno compromised person in their group or a person who hasn't been able to get vaccinated and they still CHOOSE to visit WDW, that choice is their willingness to take a risk.

The same family can't be upset if Disney CHOOSES to ease their make rules during their trip. That family already decided to take a risk be even going. Dozens of things can (and do) happen during a Disney trip that cause frustration.

How many people have cried out that Disney is a business and has the legal right to CHOOSE whichever they rules want? They are correct in saying so and the same applies to this new easing of mask rules. Disney has the legal right to do what they want.

You can't praise Disney for being a more safe vacation place that you can enjoy because of their rules when they suit your needs and then turn around and condemn them for slightly (just slightly) easing the rules that will make another families vacation more enjoyable. Nobody is forcing you to not wear a mask or forcing you to even visit in the first place.

FigmentFan82

We are a family of five going in two weeks. Can all five now wait together in line or must they still be separated to parties of no more than four?
My gut says you’d be fine. Previous to the mask relaxing, they shortened the 6ft distance to 3ft

ParentsOf4

In line for Dinosaur. Everyone wearing masks.

B38C1078-9F49-4F37-9935-53E6FDFC380E.jpeg
070082EE-EF48-4D27-B23B-98AB61125B31.jpeg

rnese

Here's the thing, though - the keyword in the term "public health" is public. One citizen's decisions absolutely *do* affect others, particularly in the potential formation of new variants.

I think Disney and the CDC made the right call, but this laissez-faire look at public health is ultimately self-serving, unhelpful, and potentially hurts others.
My issue is the continued use of the term "potentially". That term is dangerous. It allows for entirely too much subjectivity.

I'd prefer a focus upon personal health as opposed to "public" health. Again, this can be manipulated into subjectivity. There are MANY things out there that can be manipulated into "public" health issues. I prefer to be provided with information and precautions I can take. Ultimately, the choice should be mine. The choice should be mine.

There are masks. Wear them if I want to. There are vaccines. Get them if I choose. I can go to Disney. I can stay home. I prefer to make my decisions, not have others mandate what I can and can't do.

correcaminos

I appreciate the kind conversation from all! I started to quote but realized it would be like all posts!

The ones I feel for today are the ones who planned a vacation thinking masks would be everywhere and then suddenly not. As I said we all generally need time to adjust. As an overly anxious person I can sympathize with that. Of course if your health is really bad, then maybe big public gatherings aren't for you. Those with just increased risk and uncomfortable, well this is tough.

A public health crisis shouldn't be about personal responsibility only though. It really is about thinking about the community as a whole. We severely lacked that this whole pandemic from some. Even now the vocal "I don't need to vaccinate because I am not at risk" actually bugs me as this is how vaccines should never be viewed. We should be wanting to help more than just ourselves.

Again I'm totally comfortable with the changes. If I were a parent who had planned and my kid couldn't have one shot, well, I see why they aren't thrilled. But at the same time I totally follow science. Outdoors is not a risk, or teeny tiny. If you are worried, try to work through it, mask the whole time and make sure your mask is well filtered. I respect a whole range od mentalities right now.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Here's the thing, though - the keyword in the term "public health" is public. One citizen's decisions absolutely *do* affect others, particularly in the potential formation of new variants.

I think Disney and the CDC made the right call, but this laissez-faire look at public health is ultimately self-serving, unhelpful, and potentially hurts others.
There has and always will be new variants with viruses and also there are variants to any decision a person can make. There is no way to be completely safe all the time. Their is risk with every decision.

If you choose to live in a bubble of concern for what COULD "potentially hurt others", that's your choice. Nobodies gonna stop you.

Nickp1983

We'll be there in less than two weeks.

We bought the photo session thing at Animal Kingdom. I'm totally going to request the photographer to take one photo when we are wearing masks outside. To me, that image will be something to remind us years down the road about the time we lived in. Then of course, we'll do the same pose without.

themarchhare

There has and always will be new variants with viruses and also there are variants to any decision a person can make. There is no way to be completely safe all the time. Their is risk with every decision.

If you choose to live in a bubble of concern for what COULD "potentially hurt others", that's your choice. Nobodies gonna stop you.
I'm not referring to COVID, though (variants being public-health-driven is just an example).

I'm referring to public health in general and how @rnese essentially stated that, as a member of society, one doesn't have any responsibility of their own actions and how they contribute to public health.

The "you do your thing and I'll do mine" isn't *always* acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom