News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

Not entitled or looking for a fight or an argument at all. You can throw out your "entitled" label defining me to justify shutting me down. You cant accept someone that is willing to debate you. Ignore what you dont agree with and continue to close off all discourse. Goodby to you as well.
100%

GaBoy

Same as others here. Next step is no outside masks. Indoors will gradually be enforced less then finally dropped officially. "Social distancing" will be gradually transitioned to "good manners" which is what I always thought it should be. When did people start thinking that is was okay to crawl all over others anyway?

bdearl41

Heat has nothing to do with it. It can still spread outside if you breathe on someone while carrying the virus. The difference is that outside it can disperse a lot easier because of the space outside and wind. However, I do think that the masks will not be required outside at Disney parks after the next couple of months. Especially if the numbers keep dropping. I expect they'll keep the mask requirement for indoor places through the summer.
I wasn’t saying heat had an effect. Just that in the heat without masks is nicer

Tom P.

I can't believe people are so dumb. If everyone had just followed the rules COVID would have been over already. Instead we have people insisting on living their life with complete and utter disregard for others. How many have died needlessly to allow some fool to walk around without a mask? Disney allowing guest to take their masks if at this point, so close to the end, is unbelievable foolish! If we all just masked up and stay home until June this could be over.
Show me any data at all -- any -- that shows a correlation between places following the rules or not vs. Covid spread and I will agree with you. So far, all the evidence I've seen suggests that our mitigation measures have done exactly bupkis to change the trajectory of this virus. Some places with stringent mitigation measures have still seen spikes and some places who have eliminated measures have not. I seriously cannot find any data -- not opinions, not predictions, but data -- that shows that the mitigation measures have worked in the real world. Even Dr. Fauci admitted in a recent interview that he can't explain why Texas has not seen a significant rise in cases after removing all the Covid restrictions.

And specific to Disney, show me any data that suggests that removing one's mask for a matter of minutes to take a photo while outdoors and not around any other stationary people from outside your household has any impact what-so-ever on potential spread. I don't think that such data exists. I think the risk of Disney's new policy is statistically zero. But, again, I would welcome any data that can prove the contrary, and I will happily adjust my stance if shown it.

At this point, though, it is all a moot point. Society is gradually, but steadily, going back to normal. A majority of the country has made the decision that it is time for that. I am, as I have said in other posts, extremely optimistic that within a month or two, we are going to see the cases drop like Israel's have from our sustained vaccination effort, and then we will truly be out of the woods. In the meantime, regardless of whether we think it is a good idea or not, our society is going to continue to press forward with re-opening. It is a fait accompli at this point. It's not going to change. And Disney may be more conservative about it, but they are going to ultimately follow what society at large is doing.

(ETA: I just got my second vaccination dose yesterday. I still wear my mask where I'm supposed to. And I've told others in these threads that I think people should follow and respect the rules. I'm not advocating people violate them. I'm just saying that I don't see the data to support maintaining them at this point.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Show me any data at all -- any -- that shows a correlation between places following the rules or not vs. Covid spread and I will agree with you. So far, all the evidence I've seen suggests that our mitigation measures have done exactly bupkis to change the trajectory of this virus. Some places with stringent mitigation measures have still seen spikes and some places who have eliminated measures have not. I seriously cannot find any data -- not opinions, not predictions, but data -- that shows that the mitigation measures have worked in the real world. Even Dr. Fauci admitted in a recent interview that he can't explain why Texas has not seen a significant rise in cases after removing all the Covid restrictions.

And specific to Disney, show me any data that suggests that removing one's mask for a matter of minutes to take a photo while outdoors and not around any other stationary people from outside your household has any impact what-so-ever on potential spread. I don't think that such data exists. I think the risk of Disney's new policy is statistically zero. But, again, I would welcome any data that can prove the contrary, and I will happily adjust my stance if shown it.

At this point, though, it is all a moot point. Society is gradually, but steadily, going back to normal. A majority of the country has made the decision that it is time for that. I am, as I have said in other posts, extremely optimistic that within a month or two, we are going to see the cases drop like Israel's have from our sustained vaccination effort, and then we will truly be out of the woods. In the meantime, regardless of whether we think it is a good idea or not, our society is going to continue to press forward with re-opening. It is a fait accompli at this point. It's not going to change. And Disney may be more conservative about it, but they are going to ultimately follow what society at large is doing.

(ETA: I just got my second vaccination dose yesterday. I still wear my mask where I'm supposed to. And I've told others in these threads that I think people should follow and respect the rules. I'm not advocating people violate them. I'm just saying that I don't see the data to support maintaining them at this point.)

legwand77

Am I reading this right, study published back in November, and the study only looked at data from March and April of 2020. Kinda weak if you ask me.

Archie123

Couldn't believe this when you posted it. Googled it. Sure enough - 4/10 on FLL beach, Las Olas blvd. Dumb, dumb and dumber! Hopefully it will be a flop.

Well there will be less of them if they ever do a second maskless march.

Giss Neric

Do people have things to focus more than going on a mask less march? What are they trying to achieve if we are presently progressing back to normal slowly but surely.

Tom P.

Do people have things to focus more than going on a mask less march? What are they trying to achieve if we are presently progressing back to normal slowly but surely.
This is a very good question. Whether you love masks or hate masks, there's no question that we are headed toward them going away in the not too distant future. What is the point of protesting something that is being eliminated anyway?

stevebwv

Masking is only as effective as the people adhering to the mandates. It is nearly impossible to use data to prove effectiveness because so many foolish people refuse to follow the rules. The following graph shows that mask mandates are only part of the solution. Here we see California, since February, reduce their deaths per million by over 70% while Florida only had a 28% reduction highlighting masks and lockdowns would work if the people simply complied.
1618051809095.png

GaBoy

Masking is only as effective as the people adhering to the mandates. It is nearly impossible to use data to prove effectiveness because so many foolish people refuse to follow the rules. The following graph shows that mask mandates are only part of the solution. Here we see California, since February, reduce their deaths per million by over 70% while Florida only had a 28% reduction highlighting masks and lockdowns would work if the people simply complied. View attachment 547125
I wouldn't give you two nickels to have lived in California through this mess.

legwand77

Masking is only as effective as the people adhering to the mandates. It is nearly impossible to use data to prove effectiveness because so many foolish people refuse to follow the rules. The following graph shows that mask mandates are only part of the solution. Here we see California, since February, reduce their deaths per million by over 70% while Florida only had a 28% reduction highlighting masks and lockdowns would work if the people simply complied. View attachment 547125
Whole lot of justification there, When mask don't work, it is because not everyone wore them, but then when CA is doing well it is because everyone wore a mask.

Whole lot of justification there, When mask don't work, it is because not everyone wore them, but then when CA is doing well it is because everyone wore a mask.
It’s always amazing when an American considers that any spot in the US can be used as an example of them “doing well.” A dumpster fire is a dumpster fire throughout, even if some parts of it aren’t as hot as others.

The entire country failed at dealing with covid. If you want to compare mask effectiveness, compare the US’s covid results with the Asian countries that quickly adopted mask use at a high rate.

Mindy55

Actually, it is indeed true that they could open themselves up to liability, there are various sites that have the information about it. But, the letter of the law does seem to read that any private company that requires a vaccine that only has emergency authorization can be held legally liable for the damages a person suffers from the vaccine. There is absolutely no doubt that this applies to employees, basically if a company requires you to get the COVID vaccine (or any treatment that only has emergency authorization and not full approval) to continue working there, they are liable for all damages. The slightly gray area is does this also apply if a company requires a customer to get the vaccine in order to continue being a customer, are they liable? This is why I said they could be opening themselves up to liability and didn't say the definitely would. It isn't something that a court case has been decided on with it yet, but there are some currently in the works.

This isn't something that has been explicitly written, as no one would ever have thought that companies would try to require their customers to show proof of vaccines, especially ones with emergency authorization. So, it will be interesting to see what side the courts come in on this in the end, but the point is valid that they could be in for a world of hurt if they try and I just don't see Disney opening themselves up to that mess.
Interesting overview! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom