Disney to reinvent the theme park shopping experience with new mobile app - Shop Disney Parks

jprieur

Since they are going to link AP and DVC member discounts to this app, why can't they do the same for magic bands used for purchase in the park?

Would be nice to just tap the band at shops that take the discount and get it applied rather than having to show them the card. Not a huge deal, but should be an easy application. With my tables in wonderland card, I often have to show my picture ID with that one as well at certain restaurants onsite - so would be nice to dump that one as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since they are going to link AP and DVC member discounts to this app, why can't they do the same for magic bands used for purchase in the park?

Would be nice to just tap the band at shops that take the discount and get it applied rather than having to show them the card. Not a huge deal, but should be an easy application. With my tables in wonderland card, I often have to show my picture ID with that one as well at certain restaurants onsite - so would be nice to dump that one as well.
I still don't understand why this has yet to be implemented with MagicBands.

hopemax

About time. One of the ephemera things my Dad has is a list of merchandise you could order from home from 1980, the cover letter was printed on Disneyland 25th anniversary stationary. Someone had sent a letter wanting to know the info, and then received about a 15 page list, with instructions on how to complete an order. And we have some simple catalogs from the 80s. If you knew how, you could pretty much get what you wanted.

The internet really changed things. Exclusivity, went out the window about the time of the first Disney Ebay auction. This should hopefully cut out the middleman for many transactions. There are quite a few people that are financing their households via high markup secondary market prices. That's money, I don't have a problem with Disney trying to claim for themselves. But yeah, it won't get rid of the resellers entirely because of special event merchandise, LE pin releases, food & beverage items that Disney won't ship.

I know the store operations have had an app for awhile with merchandise details. I saw a manager using the app to show a guest some other pieces in a specific line that they were out of stock of. So I suppose it was a matter of converting that app to public use.

djlaosc

This is really cool. Here's an example use: I'm looking for hoodies at MK (you know, the ones they have everywhere) but they don't have my size. I load up the app, find my size at DAK and have it shipped to my hotel without having to go to DAK. Plus I automatically get my AP discount without having to show ID. Wonderful.

This would have been really useful for me back in December.

I was busy collecting the different park music CDs, and we have a few that were difficult to find
- Holiday Wishes - eventually found in the DHS Christimas Shop
- Finding Nemo - eventually found in a DAK Discovery Island Shop
- Animal Kingdom - was out of stock everywhere for most of my holiday - kept speaking to concierge at POFQ, but eventually found in the shop you come through after exiting Dinosaur (not the Dinosaur shop) a couple of days before we left.

If I had just been able to go on this app, and get them shipped to POFQ, then that would have saved a lot of searching shops!

dreamfinder

This would have been really useful for me back in December.

I was busy collecting the different park music CDs, and we have a few that were difficult to find
- Holiday Wishes - eventually found in the DHS Christimas Shop
- Finding Nemo - eventually found in a DAK Discovery Island Shop
- Animal Kingdom - was out of stock everywhere for most of my holiday - kept speaking to concierge at POFQ, but eventually found in the shop you come through after exiting Dinosaur (not the Dinosaur shop) a couple of days before we left.

If I had just been able to go on this app, and get them shipped to POFQ, then that would have saved a lot of searching shops!

I believe the merchandise hotline can tell you if a product is in stock and where it would be located already. Not sure if they would do resort delivery over the phone or just direct you to the proper location.

Scar

Really stupid question, but does this mean I can finally get Mickey Pretzels sent to my home? Those things are addictive and extremely hard to find online, unless I want to spend $14 a bag via a third party reseller.

djlaosc

I believe the merchandise hotline can tell you if a product is in stock and where it would be located already. Not sure if they would do resort delivery over the phone or just direct you to the proper location.

Yeah, I had been email the merchandise team every so often before I went to check on stock, but then by the time I went, some of them must have gone out of stock.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Will it be available to non-US residents that are either in the parks or staying at the hotels, or is it US-residents only for wherever you are?
As far as I know, the US only restriction is for the shipping component only.

Cosmic Commando

While I'm theoretically a big fan of theme park exclusive merchandise, I think that concept is mostly outdated in the eBay age. There will still be limited edition and special event merchandise to keep some things special. I know this will definitely extract some more money from me on our fall trip. If their shipping is reasonable, I could be using this quite a lot at home, as well.

This is going to make Disney a ton of money.

Innkeeper's Club

As far as I know, the US only restriction is for the shipping component only.
Since the Disney Store website can ship items outside the USA although at higher shipping costs, why couldn't the app have that feature from the start?

In my opinion this is almost like with the MagicBands because as we all know WDW won't ship them to international guests prior to their vacations, does WDW have some issues when sending items outside the United States?

Phineas

This is very nice. My hope is that they'll also start charging more reasonable rates for shipping. It should NOT cost $8 to ship two blind box vinylmations. So many times I've emptied my cart because of shipping cost, and not wanting to foolishly spend $75 just to get free shipping. And when orders show up to your house, it's often one tiny box inside a monolithic package with room enough for 30 of its closest friends.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
While I'm theoretically a big fan of theme park exclusive merchandise, I think that concept is mostly outdated in the eBay age. There will still be limited edition and special event merchandise to keep some things special. I know this will definitely extract some more money from me on our fall trip. If their shipping is reasonable, I could be using this quite a lot at home, as well.

This is going to make Disney a ton of money.
Not all of us use or will ever use eBay. Sorry, don't trust it at all.

polynesiangirl

You know this might actually help us spend LESS, at least on stuff we don't actually want. I can think of a few times where I've caved and bought something I was on the fence about because it was my "last chance" to do so, and now that I'll be able to make a decision later, I might end up deciding I don't need whatever it was I was considering.

Buried20KLeague

A couple points...

1. This should make it EASY to justify park and attraction specific merch to an extreme we've never seen before. I'm taking from the Country Bears to the Tiki Room to the Jungle Cruise. By selling to EVERYONE rather than just the people in the parks, it makes it MUCH easier to hit minimum quantities of items that they need to sell in order to make a profit. They're no longer reliant only on people as they happen to pass by a product to reach those minimums. If they do this right, we might see them take risks on merch like never before. You'd think no matter what they create, they'd be able to turn a profit on it with the app sales added.

2. To that point... I better be able to buy full size HM tapestries soon, dangit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom