News Disney to offer discount on new MagicBand designs as an optional alternative to complimentary solid color MagicBands

Gonegrrl

Has anyone from Canada had success ordering bands to be delivered to your resort? I just can't seem to ever get to the point where Disney will take my money.

djlaosc

Can anyone remember the last time that they have seen BB8 available?

We have seen the other bands that we would choose this week, but not BB8...

djlaosc

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but, having never had experience with Magicband 2 (our previous trips were with the original Magicband which were sent to your hotel 11 days or so before arrival), how do you activate it for the first time?

If you order your Magicband 18 months before your trip, and a Magicband generally has a 2 year battery life, does that mean that your Magicband will already be 18 months into its 2 year battery life, or do you pull a tab or something out in order to make it last 2 years after you receive it? Same as if you buy one in store, if you buy it on one trip, don't use it and don't link it to your account until just before you go on your next trip 18 months later, will it already be 18 months into its 2 year battery life or does it just start once it is linked?

Ariel1986

Have successfully ordered 3 sets of bands (have a lot of split stays this trip!). The first two were about 6 weeks ago, then I ordered the last set a week ago. Today the card I used on the last set a week ago was refunded the amount the magicbands cost- no email or explanation yet. Does this mean that set hasn’t gone through after all? We’re from the UK so all sets expecting at the hotel.

DisneyDreamer08

They really need to fix it so you order 30 or 45 days out. I’ve seen so many posts from people so excited to get their special bands whose trips are more than 6 months away. No wonder the system can't handle all the orders.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Couple new ones this morning - I'm guessing the $29.99 might be a mistake like the previous Galaxy's Edge band.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 6.46.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 6.46.49 AM.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 91

cosmicgirl

Couple new ones this morning - I'm guessing the $29.99 might be a mistake like the previous Galaxy's Edge band.

View attachment 407187View attachment 407186
I noticed the F&W one, as well. What strikes me as odd is that I can't see the difference between this one and the $48 Dooney one listed on the Shop Parks part of MDE. Is it the same band or am I missing something? Not that I'm looking to get it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I noticed the F&W one, as well. What strikes me as odd is that I can't see the difference between this one and the $48 Dooney one listed on the Shop Parks part of MDE. Is it the same band or am I missing something? Not that I'm looking to get it.

Just went to go look and you are correct - they totally look the same to me!

Yankee Mouse

They really need to fix it so you order 30 or 45 days out. I’ve seen so many posts from people so excited to get their special bands whose trips are more than 6 months away. No wonder the system can't handle all the orders.

I agree but I think the larger problem is that these types of issues are pretty standard for Disney IT, which is ridiculous.

Saw two magic bands this morning that I wanted, and I really don't care about the third anymore, just wanted to get a couple that I knew my wife and daughter would like but keep getting an error message when trying to check out saying the band was no longer available, but when I go back to the selection screen it is still there. So frustrating.

Ariel82

I agree but I think the larger problem is that these types of issues are pretty standard for Disney IT, which is ridiculous.

Saw two magic bands this morning that I wanted, and I really don't care about the third anymore, just wanted to get a couple that I knew my wife and daughter would like but keep getting an error message when trying to check out saying the band was no longer available, but when I go back to the selection screen it is still there. So frustrating.
Yep. I gave up trying a few weeks ago after about a month and a half of stalking the site about a dozen times each day. Like you at any one time I could find one band that I liked, but gave up trying to get 2. Ended up going with two plain ones. Too much frustration.
I too agree that Disney's IT team needs works. I work in IT, and this whole deployment has been a trainwreck from the get go and I am absolutely appalled that a company like Disney would do such half baked deployments. Delay the deployment and do it right the first time. Or don't do it at all.

Yankee Mouse

So I finally managed to get two upgrades and a blue one. Unfortunately it somehow got messed up and I didn't notice till the confirmation screen. So now I have my wife's figment band assigned to me with her name on it and she has a plain blue one with my name. SMH.

ETA: I called and was told they were assigned correctly so it must have been a website Venellope. I guess we will see what happens when they arrive.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but, having never had experience with Magicband 2 (our previous trips were with the original Magicband which were sent to your hotel 11 days or so before arrival), how do you activate it for the first time?

If you order your Magicband 18 months before your trip, and a Magicband generally has a 2 year battery life, does that mean that your Magicband will already be 18 months into its 2 year battery life, or do you pull a tab or something out in order to make it last 2 years after you receive it? Same as if you buy one in store, if you buy it on one trip, don't use it and don't link it to your account until just before you go on your next trip 18 months later, will it already be 18 months into its 2 year battery life or does it just start once it is linked?

The battery in the band is ticking from the time they make it. There is no on/off switch. "Activating" a band is done by associating it with your account (not sure if these are associated out of the box or if you need to do it yourself). The passive portion of the band (turnstiles, FP+, hotel doors) will work for ever, it's the active portion of the band (long range stuff like ride photos & interactive ride elements) that will stop working at some point. The battery is rated for 2 years apparently, but some people have success with much older bands still working.

Keep in mind with the second generation Magicband you can swap out the puck. So if you are worried that some band design won't be around in 2 years you could order it, and then replace the puck with a generic one on your trip.

tissandtully

So I finally managed to get two upgrades and a blue one. Unfortunately it somehow got messed up and I didn't notice till the confirmation screen. So now I have my wife's figment band assigned to me with her name on it and she has a plain blue one with my name. SMH.

ETA: I called and was told they were assigned correctly so it must have been a website Venellope. I guess we will see what happens when they arrive.
You can just switch the pucks.

Hula Baloo

I have been trying to get one of the MagicBands with a design for over two weeks. Sometimes it will add it to my name but then says sold out when I try to complete my purchase. Other times it will say sold out when I try to add it to my name. I've tried this with multiple different designs. About to give up on it.

jklakeview

I have been trying to get one of the MagicBands with a design for over two weeks. Sometimes it will add it to my name but then says sold out when I try to complete my purchase. Other times it will say sold out when I try to add it to my name. I've tried this with multiple different designs. About to give up on it.
I spoke to Disney and they are VERY well aware of this issue. They said that they are working with vendors to increase their stock or figure out another way of letting people purchase the bands. I know that people will say "sure, why does Disney care?" but the truth is they care because its $10.00 a person that would normally pay nothing. There's a good amount of money to be had out there on this or we wouldn't all be discussing it. I think they will figure it out over the next month.

Yankee Mouse

You can just switch the pucks.

Yeah, I thought about that, but also thought it would look kind of funny if the colors don't match up, (a haunted mansion one with a pink puck? lol) But that would probably be easier than calling and trying to deal with customer service to get them switched.

I was mostly just about venting about the frustrations of finally getting the order to go through only to have it wrong in the confirmation screen.

djlaosc

It would seem that the easiest solution, which has probably been mentioned at some point in the past 600+ posts, is, why don't they offer all of the D-Tech on Demand options on the website?

Just use the basic designs (no adding the name for $8.00), and then you have instantly multiple designs (100+?), that can't go out of stock (because they are not in stock in advance), that are then made on demand either in a fourth printer bought specifically for this, or by using one of the three existing printers in-park, then they just add the name how they currently do so for onsite guests.

Supplement this with any bands not selling well to clear excess stock, and people should have no issues being able to get a designed Magicband.

Is there any reason this could not be done?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom