News Disney to offer discount on new MagicBand designs as an optional alternative to complimentary solid color MagicBands

cosmicgirl

My bands came in today and they are correct!!! See below for bands and luggage tags!

View attachment 387713View attachment 387714

I've been waiting to see if my bands came in correctly to give you guys some tips on how to order if you're still having trouble.

I spoke with someone at WDW and they said that they tend to update the site before they update the inventory, which leads to LOTS of errors and inability to order due to low stock. So, I tried out a method I came up with in the past week of furiously looking. Here is what I did:

I waited until I saw the bands updated on the site. Usually happened a few minutes before the hour or half-hour mark. Once it turned that hour or half-hour, I tried to add my bands to the order. Then hopefully check out and all will go well.

For example: when I ordered, the stock was updated at 10:50ish, and I placed my order at 11am on the dot.

Took me about a week of persistence but you should have no problem if you're vigilant :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, and may the odds be ever in your favor.
Sorry....didn't see your original reply which is weird.

We got the Haunted Mansion band, Citrus Twist, Thanos and plain yellow. These are the luggage tags we received....guessing they are random.

And after having the $30 charge removed from my card originally.....Disney did finally charge us for the bands. Figured Disney wouldn't let that slip through ;)

View attachment 388010
tle bands about a month ago for a trip I'm taking with my mom in August did not receive luggage tags with the order.

However just last week I managed to order 3 Epcot Spaceship Earth bands for a room-only booking I have in September, but this time I got 3 matching luggage tags with the bands.

Both reservations were room only, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you all for posting pics! I try to get all the different luggage tags with split stays but I guess it'll be a surprise this year.

I really want SE and HM but it's too soon to order with resort delivery. Knowing that they had already gotten rid of our bands the morning after checkin last time I don't trust them to hold on to our bands for months. We had gone straight to MVMCP and forgot to pick them up at 2am. They were gone by 8. :(

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Haunted Mansion and EPCOT bands are showing on the site - but in a regular browser and InPrivate browser, I get the errors. Oh well, saves me $20.

Does anyone else think the new design for the characters (as seen on the pics above for the luggage tags) looks like the Ren & Stimpy cartoons from the 90s?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some newer ones on the site this morning if you've been waiting for other options.

`

Last edited:

bigkbull

Some newer ones on the site this morning if you've been waiting for other options.

View attachment 390149View attachment 390150View attachment 390151View attachment 390156View attachment 390152`

Was *FINALLY* able to process an order with the LR ones. Got the Americana and it's a small world bands for my wife and I. Had absolutely no errors selecting any of these bands or proceeding to checkout with them. Tried a couple of the other $10 bands that were showing that I had tried to get in the past and had the same errors. Weird how the more expensive bands are having no issues what-so-ever.

kdavis

Since I posted a while back about my ordering experience, I thought I'd pop back on here to finish the story. My daughter and I got back home from our trip on 7/12. On 5/20, I purchased a Sorcerer Mickey Premium MagicBand for my daughter, but chose a basic band for myself. On 5/29, I received an email saying that "due to demand" my order had been delayed, but not to worry.

With our trip coming up on 7/4, I emailed customer support about the order on 6/22, since I had heard nothing more about the order.

On 6/28, I finally got a response saying that my question had been "escalated" to ShopDisney, since they were in charge of fulfillment of the premium bands. Of course, 6/28 was a Friday - and the email arrived in the evening - so I had to wait until Monday, 7/1 to reach anyone by phone.

When I called on 7/1, I spoke to a very helpful person who tried very hard to sort things out. By the end of the nearly half hour call, I had been told that the specialty band had been reordered and that it would be rush shipped to be at our resort on 7/4 when we arrived. On 7/2, I received a shipping confirmation that the bands had, in fact, been shipped.

Note: Our trip was spit between three resorts - 1 night at Saratoga, 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower, and 4 nights at the Poly.

We got in to Saratoga late in the afternoon on 7/4 and the desk staff had two default MagicBands waiting for us, but hadn't received any package with the premium band. I checked the tracking and, sure enough, it hadn't been delivered yet, but WAS in Orlando with UPS. "no biggie" I thought, excusing the delay on the holiday. The cast member at the desk put a note on my account saying that we were moving to Bay Lake Tower on Friday and to forward the package there.

On 7/5 we went into MK bright and early, only to find that neither of our MagicBands worked.

A 15 minute detour to Guest Services rectified that issue, and we enjoyed our day.

Returning to Bay Lake Tower at the end of the day, I checked at the desk and - no package. I checked tracking and the premium band was still with UPS in Orlando, but hadn't moved for two days.

By our third day in the parks, with no premium band having arrived, I called ShopDisney (the division I got the shipping confirmation from) to ask for a refund. Even at a reduced cost, I wasn't going to pay for a MagicBand that we'd only have for half the trip. The cast member I spoke with on the phone was less than helpful and was eager to blame "My Disney Experience" for the problem and that I had to talk to them about it. We went back and forth for a bit (since My Disney Experience had told me - and the shipping confirmation showed - that Shop Disney was in charge of fulfillment). After being lectured on the many different divisions of the company by this operator, my generally polite phone manner dropped and I simply told her that, as a customer, all I need to know is that I am doing business with Disney and whatever needed to be done between departments was their business - not mine - I just needed the refund.

That did the trick and I was assured that a refund would be on my account within a couple of days. It was.

Meanwhile, I checked the status of the premium band which had been sent. UPS shows that it was delivered to Saratoga Springs - to my attention - on Monday, 7/8 - a full week after it was "rush shipped" to me. The delivery delay is not Disney's issue - it was clearly the fault of UPS. HOWEVER, I was on property through 7/12 and, despite my linked reservations and supposed notes on my account about the package being expected, the MagicBand never found its way to me, and that is clearly Disney's issue.

Now, while we were enjoying our time in the parks, where in nearly every shop that had displays of the grossly overpriced MagicBands for sale (seriously, can the cost of manufacturing these be more than $2, max?) my 13 year old daughter proposed the following: Why don't they simply provide a coupon code to you when you book your vacation which you could then use - on your own - to pick out a band of your choice at any of the shops, and be done with it? Disney then doesn't have to deal with shipping, coordinating between departments (which, they seemingly can't do effectively) and processing online payments. You book a reservation, you get a $15 off coupon (with whatever stipulations they want to put on it) for each member of the party, and from there the burden is on the customer to fulfill the order... by walking into a shop on property and choosing something they like. Much less effort needed from Disney, and customer satisfaction MUCH higher!

MiddKid

Now, while we were enjoying our time in the parks, where in nearly every shop that had displays of the grossly overpriced MagicBands for sale (seriously, can the cost of manufacturing these be more than $2, max?) my 13 year old daughter proposed the following: Why don't they simply provide a coupon code to you when you book your vacation which you could then use - on your own - to pick out a band of your choice at any of the shops, and be done with it? Disney then doesn't have to deal with shipping, coordinating between departments (which, they seemingly can't do effectively) and processing online payments. You book a reservation, you get a $15 off coupon (with whatever stipulations they want to put on it) for each member of the party, and from there the burden is on the customer to fulfill the order... by walking into a shop on property and choosing something they like. Much less effort needed from Disney, and customer satisfaction MUCH higher!

Simple...higher conversion to do it the way they are doing it.

People are excited for their trip and get into that pre-trip haze where they are happy to spend another $15 to make it even MORE magical. Sale after sale for Disney (just see this thread for proof).

With the coupon approach, they loose a ton of sales.
  • People lose the coupon or forget it in their room
  • By mid-day on Day 1 the haze wears off and people realize that these plain bands are totally serviceable
  • After paying for their first meal and souvenir the reality of the cost of the trip hits and suddenly that’s $15 they can skip spending

cosmicgirl

Since I posted a while back about my ordering experience, I thought I'd pop back on here to finish the story. My daughter and I got back home from our trip on 7/12. On 5/20, I purchased a Sorcerer Mickey Premium MagicBand for my daughter, but chose a basic band for myself. On 5/29, I received an email saying that "due to demand" my order had been delayed, but not to worry.

With our trip coming up on 7/4, I emailed customer support about the order on 6/22, since I had heard nothing more about the order.

On 6/28, I finally got a response saying that my question had been "escalated" to ShopDisney, since they were in charge of fulfillment of the premium bands. Of course, 6/28 was a Friday - and the email arrived in the evening - so I had to wait until Monday, 7/1 to reach anyone by phone.

When I called on 7/1, I spoke to a very helpful person who tried very hard to sort things out. By the end of the nearly half hour call, I had been told that the specialty band had been reordered and that it would be rush shipped to be at our resort on 7/4 when we arrived. On 7/2, I received a shipping confirmation that the bands had, in fact, been shipped.

Note: Our trip was spit between three resorts - 1 night at Saratoga, 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower, and 4 nights at the Poly.

We got in to Saratoga late in the afternoon on 7/4 and the desk staff had two default MagicBands waiting for us, but hadn't received any package with the premium band. I checked the tracking and, sure enough, it hadn't been delivered yet, but WAS in Orlando with UPS. "no biggie" I thought, excusing the delay on the holiday. The cast member at the desk put a note on my account saying that we were moving to Bay Lake Tower on Friday and to forward the package there.

On 7/5 we went into MK bright and early, only to find that neither of our MagicBands worked.

A 15 minute detour to Guest Services rectified that issue, and we enjoyed our day.

Returning to Bay Lake Tower at the end of the day, I checked at the desk and - no package. I checked tracking and the premium band was still with UPS in Orlando, but hadn't moved for two days.

By our third day in the parks, with no premium band having arrived, I called ShopDisney (the division I got the shipping confirmation from) to ask for a refund. Even at a reduced cost, I wasn't going to pay for a MagicBand that we'd only have for half the trip. The cast member I spoke with on the phone was less than helpful and was eager to blame "My Disney Experience" for the problem and that I had to talk to them about it. We went back and forth for a bit (since My Disney Experience had told me - and the shipping confirmation showed - that Shop Disney was in charge of fulfillment). After being lectured on the many different divisions of the company by this operator, my generally polite phone manner dropped and I simply told her that, as a customer, all I need to know is that I am doing business with Disney and whatever needed to be done between departments was their business - not mine - I just needed the refund.

That did the trick and I was assured that a refund would be on my account within a couple of days. It was.

Meanwhile, I checked the status of the premium band which had been sent. UPS shows that it was delivered to Saratoga Springs - to my attention - on Monday, 7/8 - a full week after it was "rush shipped" to me. The delivery delay is not Disney's issue - it was clearly the fault of UPS. HOWEVER, I was on property through 7/12 and, despite my linked reservations and supposed notes on my account about the package being expected, the MagicBand never found its way to me, and that is clearly Disney's issue.

Your suggested approach would complicate things at the airport if every party's reservation had to be checked before joining the DME queue. Even offering guests to pick out their MB at airport store would complicate things because, while this could smooth out the DME issue, it would create an even longer line at the store because the bands would have to be linked to each person's account.
As an international visitor I've experienced how 3-4 parties are directed to the buses in the same time it takes them to look up just my reservation. So now I bring an old MB with me to tap in for the ME.

And even if they restricted the voucher to property-wide stores (so no airport) then everyone would arrive not being able to get into their room or into a park before getting to the store that carries the band you want. If the band you want is only available inside a park then you're sol. In most cases you'd be stuck with the selection your resort's store carries, unless you want to put in the time to head to Disney Springs first.

Taking that into account, my guess is the less time you spend trying to get the bands while there the more time they see you spending money on other things.

It would also mean that you can no longer get your bands personalized, which I would hate to lose.

cosmicgirl

Disney solved the supply demand for the magic band upgrade by raising the price from $10.00 to $15.00 today. Really...wow do I feel special.
No, they did not.

They added limited release bands which normally cost $29.95 instead of the $24.95 lower-tiered bands. You still get a $14.95 discount so a low-tiered band will still cost you $10, but now you can also get certain limited release ones for a $15 surcharge.

You're still getting the same discount they promised from the start except with tiered upgrade uptions.

Last edited:

Bronson55

No, they did not.

They added limited release bands which normally cost $29.95 instead of the $24.95 lower-tiered bands. You still get a $14.95 discount so a low-tiered band will still cost you $10, but now you can also get certain limited release ones for a $15 surcharge.

You're still getting the same discount they' promised from the start except with tiered upgrade uptions.
Didn't catch that. Thanks for the info. Frankly I don't know why they just added more band teases instead of fixing the stocking and system problems.

Mikey73181

No, they did not.

You're still getting the same discount they' promised from the start except with tiered upgrade uptions.

There are a few on there that were $10 and are now $15. The Americana and Walt and Train ones are at least two of them I noticed.

Domboy

The ones I wanted to get come in and out at different times lol - so not ordered mine yet.

However, I fly out to Flordia in 81 days but the system is saying I need to order my Magic Bands within 49 days - anyone have any idea why such a huge time difference? Thats a month before we head out? I know that it used to be 11 days. Is this because of all the pressure on the system or just because we are in the UK?

jrogue

The ones I wanted to get come in and out at different times lol - so not ordered mine yet.

However, I fly out to Flordia in 81 days but the system is saying I need to order my Magic Bands within 49 days - anyone have any idea why such a huge time difference? Thats a month before we head out? I know that it used to be 11 days. Is this because of all the pressure on the system or just because we are in the UK?
I have 81 days left too! And I think that's just so they can have enough time to ship thr bands where they need to go

cosmicgirl

If you have your UK address listed on your MDE account, i.e. you're not having your bands shipped to a villa, a personal shopper etc, you can ignore the 30-day deadline. You can order them up to 5 days before arrival if you're picking them up at the resort.

Domboy

If you have your UK address listed on your MDE account, i.e. you're not having your bands shipped to a villa, a personal shopper etc, you can ignore the 30-day deadline. You can order them up to 5 days before arrival if you're picking them up at the resort.
Thank you.
That makes sense - I was a little confused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom