News Disney to offer discount on new MagicBand designs as an optional alternative to complimentary solid color MagicBands

JusticeDisney

Update: The rest of my family received their magic band order. Three people had ordered the special bands, and only one of them received what they ordered. The most ridiculous part is, when my brother went online to shopdisney.com to use the promo code provided, he was able to order the exact same band that was NOT shipped to him because it was supposedly unavailable. Not really sure Disney could have handled this any worse.

dreamfinder

The most ridiculous part is, when my brother went online to shopdisney.com to use the promo code provided, he was able to order the exact same band that was NOT shipped to him because it was supposedly unavailable. Not really sure Disney could have handled this any worse.

Not surprising it was available online. They are going to be pulling from two separate supplies. If they are customizing the bands ordered via MDE (even if it's just the name) they would need to be stocked in the "customization warehouse" vs the ShopDisney warehouse. Much how bands were available at times in park and not on online, and vice versa. Two separate sets of stock.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Common misconception because on two separate days I saw bands available for order that were released on ShopDisney full price that same day: the Dole whip one, the pride one, and an alien one.
Were they available in the parks before being offered online?

cosmicgirl

Were they available in the parks before being offered online?
This is not from personal experience but I believe the Dole whip one was spotted in WDW a few days or maybe a week before it was available online. And the whole new pride line was just released a few weeks ago. So they probably were available in the parks before they were online, but that's the case with most merchandise. I don't think there was much of a delay.

AugieMorosco

My custom order (upgraded bands) came yesterday 100% correct.

My wife got the pink snacks band, DD got the rainbow mickey band and I got the dole whip. All 100% correct
Hooray! I am at under 20 days to get my order in, so hopeful that they restock by then.

Aimee280

We received one of the 2 correct. No email until I called and made a Stink about it. I got the shop Disney credit so was able to get the band I wanted, but was shocked that Disney handled this so poorly. There should be a limit to the 60 day window as it turned into a free for all!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was helping someone order plain MBs this evening, and we fought error messages for over 20 minutes before the order went through.
Buying the Go platform has to rank highly in the all-time worst Disney decisions.

What other platform is there to allow guests to upcharge their MB if not the Go (MDE) platform?

The MB upcharge is faltering because, presumably, it's being hammered by an unexpected demand and lack of stock. Because of lack of stock, people don't get what they want and they continue to hammer the server operating the MB sales.

In retrospect, they should have introduced the MB upcharge starting with the deluxe resorts and, if all went well, expand the circle of eligible resorts (like they did with the roll out of Minnie Vans).

Meanwhile the rest of MDE is in normal operating mode because these services are partitioned by different servers that take care of different things. My ability to make an ADR is not hampered by an interminable loading screen for the MB upcharge. Once they get the stock in and clear the backlog (and upgrade the MB upcharge server if needed), it should run smoothly.

This isn't IT's fault if the sales manager gave them a very wrong estimate of demand.

Hcalvert

I was never able to order the premium bands on MDE, so I went to the Disney Parks app and ordered two $30 limited edition bands for $15 each on May 27 before the app was discontinued. I didn't hear anything about it and couldn't check the status, so I emailed them. I got an email back that they were backordered. I emailed back and said why can't they just communicate with ShopDisney since they merged into one app and ship them since they are shown in stock on ShopDisney? I really stressed to them about how worried I was about not receiving them before our July trip. I got an email back saying to call ShopDisney and they would honor the $10 for upgraded bands except limited and signature bands. Weirdly, this email was addressed to an Aileen (not my name). Yesterday, I called anyways, referenced the email, was able to cancel the Parks app order, purchase the limited bands for $15, and get free shipping too. I got an email they shipped today. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

jbolen2

I don’t see why they wouldn’t move selections to a 60 day out window. Right now You’ll have people making a reservation to order the discount bands then cancel when they get them. I’m sure they could add a way in there that it took the discount part out of there deposit refund.

TeriofTerror

What other platform is there to allow guests to upcharge their MB if not the Go (MDE) platform?

The MB upcharge is faltering because, presumably, it's being hammered by an unexpected demand and lack of stock. Because of lack of stock, people don't get what they want and they continue to hammer the server operating the MB sales.

In retrospect, they should have introduced the MB upcharge starting with the deluxe resorts and, if all went well, expand the circle of eligible resorts (like they did with the roll out of Minnie Vans).

Meanwhile the rest of MDE is in normal operating mode because these services are partitioned by different servers that take care of different things. My ability to make an ADR is not hampered by an interminable loading screen for the MB upcharge. Once they get the stock in and clear the backlog (and upgrade the MB upcharge server if needed), it should run smoothly.

This isn't IT's fault if the sales manager gave them a very wrong estimate of demand.
Except I wasn't ordering upgraded MBs, just normal ones. 20 minutes of error messages for a routine transaction was, in my mind, yet another example of the notorious unreliability of the Disney website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom