News Disney to offer discount on new MagicBand designs as an optional alternative to complimentary solid color MagicBands

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It will not only be for new reservations. Everyone will be able to use this. That said, I’d be surprised if this launched today, it’s not impossible just not likely from my understanding.

Good to know - some reports said it would only be for new reservations once the system was launched. Other reports also said it was going live today.

cosmicgirl

From @WDWToday (note the lack of an N):

https://twitter.com/WDWToday/status/1128654352766447617

All within the past few hours... are you confused yet?

Edit for those who can't see the full tweets:
1. Lauren, we appreciate your patience. We would recommend checking back early this afternoon for the new options with MagicBands to appear on your My Disney Experience account.
2. Hey there, Jeff! This option for MagicBands will be coming in the next few weeks - be sure to keep an eye out on the App real soon!
3. Hi there! You'll be seeing the option in the upcoming weeks, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!
4. Amanda, even Guests with current reservations are able to take advantage of this new offer, if you have not yet customized your MagicBands and if you are currently 31+ days out from your stay. Please check your My Disney Experience account for this option later this afternoon.
5. Julie, this option will be available a little bit later today, unfortunately we do not have an exact time at this moment. We would recommend checking back early this afternoon. Your patience is truly appreciated.
6. You will be able to select an upgraded MagicBand, please check back on your My Disney Experience account a little bit later today for this option to be available.

aaronml

From @WDWToday (note the lack of an N):

All within the past few hours... are you confused yet?

If this launches today, it will have been seriously rushed together. There’s a reason why they didn’t originally announce a specific launch date. It will be interesting to see what happens at this point.

cosmicgirl

If this launches today, it will have been seriously rushed together. There’s a reason why they didn’t originally announce a specific launch date. It will be interesting to see what happens at this point.
But why didn't they simply hold back the announcement until they were ready? Now people are annoyed because it's not launched in time for their trip.

aaronml

But why didn't they simply hold back the announcement until they were ready? Now people are annoyed because it's not launched in time for their trip.
The same reason that Apple announced AirPower only to have to later cancel it. Marketing teams frequently are oh-too-disconnected from the actual state of things in engineering.

CaptainAmerica

I could be off here but, from an IT perspective, wouldn't it be a lot more complicated to exclude existing reservations than to implement it for everyone?
The exclusion, if there were to be one, would not be triggered by existing versus new reservations, it would be for people who have already customized their bands (i.e. selected colors and names).

But it looks like there isn't any exclusion anyway so it's a moot point.

Janir

Hey they're cute. lol, I do remember someone on etsy was selling some thing similar, I think she called them "skins" but when I went to find them last year she no longer had them. thinking papa disney gave a "cease and desist" letter.
I liked those skins. There was a electronics/Tron one that was really cool that I got two years ago. Really dresses up the plain bands to something unique. This year just getting some glow in the dark stickers for the band faces as we bought some magic bands. ( DVC for me and IASW for DW) I still think giving a discount for not getting the basic bands delivered towards the purchase of a more customized band is a good way to go. Disney Parks makes an extra $5-10 on the deal vs a giveaway of $15 for a basic band.

Patcheslee

My last day for customization was Monday, yesterday was still available to change same for 5am today, then switched to being customized around 9a., so I'm out of the upgrade option. 😣

ninjaprincesst

No launch yet, this was confirmed by Disney, the person on the other sight was obviously wrong, so I hope he is wrong about existing reservations as well.

aw14

The official Disney twitter account said it would launch “later this afternoon.”
has me checking far too often :). I dont even want a "fancier one". I already purchased one for each member of my party, as we do for each trip.

That said, I wouldn't mind a different solid color.

Tony the Tigger

When it’s ready, it’s ready.
3DEFDDE6-14AC-42F5-A297-0FEBE1986F89.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I decline the bands most trips and just get one new free one every other year so it has a fresh battery.

Then I spend $8 for a vinyl overlay at magicyourbands.com. I even design my own rather than use their stock overlays. I've had a Mary Poppins one for years and made an Iron Man one for friends. Take *that* Universal exclusivity contract!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom