News Disney to heavily reduce Capital Expenditures in the parks throughout 2020 during COVID-19 crisis

Obobru

I just don’t think it represents Walt’s optimistic vision of Tomorrowland.

Walt's been dead 60 years and if by some miracle he was still alive today it's very doubtful Tomorrowland would even exist as he would have most likely flattened the place and built something else. It's a dated concept as we don't view the future as having as much change like the did in the 50's and 60's. Tron is 80's futurism so it fits in the land of the future people dreamed about but which never happened.

disney4life2008

It is indeed difficult to imagine Disney planning a major new addition for WDW by the time EU opens (especially considering the present losses). And of course, unless the addition were a clone, its development would already have to be well underway.

That being said, counterintuitively, I think the park most in need of development will be MK. This is because, when EU makes UO even more of a real "alternative" to WDW, people will inevitably will compare EU/UO with WDW's perceived (rightly or not) "flagship" park. More than ever, it will reflect on WDW as a whole that MK's attraction roster lacks an "E+ ticket." (This would be the time for, say, something that uses the Shanghai Pirates tech/scale, or even just a version of Mystic Manor, but alas...)

There is not much magic Kingdom can develop. I actually think even without Tron it competes strong against all 3 universal parks combined. But, depending on demographic group, Universal wins.

Bob Harlem

I was not aware Epic Universe construction was now paused.

It's not completely (some types of work have), but, site work and general improvements are still happening, it has slowed due to county issues, but even recent bioreconstruct photos still show active site work going on, particularly in the back half by Sand Lake Road, general grading, and parts involving the road extension for Kirkman.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Disney has recently opened lands themed to Star Wars and Toy Story, and has upcoming rides to Guardians, Troy, and Rat. Universal is countering with How to Train a Dragon *land*, an underwhelming Fantastic Beasts land, classic monsters land, and a Nintendo land. (All rumored).

Universal's available IP isn't necessarily bad. Disney's advantage will always be more compelling IP. For better or worse that's why we see so much on Disney's side. Universal can drop the same ride as, say, Slinky Dog and brand it to How to Train Your Dragon and Slinky Dog would likely still draw more people. Universal will certainly take a short term bump, but I'd still question sustainability on IPs alone. Their likely best shot is to take the potter lands and scale lessons to an entire park to make people not care about attached IPs. But that's going to take buckets of money and is currently a huge financial risk.

WDW Pro

Do you hurt yourself trying to pat yourself on the back?

I took some heat over the past two months for the things I've said. You'd better believe I'm going to make note that I knew what I was talking about.

I mean a blind person could have seen this coming.

Go check out the responses on March 24th. Plenty of people thought I was nuts and Disney had plenty of money to get all this stuff done regardless of a short term virus. Why the parks would be open by May no problem.

Lilofan

I took some heat over the past two months for the things I've said. You'd better believe I'm going to make note that I knew what I was talking about.

Go check out the responses on March 24th. Plenty of people thought I was nuts and Disney had plenty of money to get all this stuff done regardless of a short term virus. Why the parks would be open by May no problem.
Phil Holmes the VP of DHS is retiring at the end of August. Any word of any more execs "retiring"?

WDW Pro

Phil Holmes the VP of DHS is retiring at the end of August. Any word of any more execs "retiring"?

No. And if I did hear rumors on that I probably wouldn't disclose them. People should be able to make those decisions without online gossip. Talking about a purposeful leak and deleting hundreds of social media posts is one thing... outing a normal person pondering retirement is another.

Touchdown

Disney's advantage will always be more compelling IP.

I think that you are vastly under valuing the Nintendo IP, which is not 1 IP like Toy Story but is a brand with multiple IPs like Marvel or even Disney itself. Of these family of IPs you have a trio of surefire groups that will almost certainly be massive hits:

Mario-the one everyone thinks about and the one poised to be the first land as he should, but he is not all that Nintendo owns

Zelda-the top selling adventure game of all time, this brand awareness is at an all time high due to the recent release of Breath of the Wild (and a sequel is on the way) as Disney well knows, high fantasy in theme parks is a major crowd pleaser. Universal will likely be looking into this franchise next after Mario gets off the ground.

Pokemon: This is the ace in the hole, this is the top selling brand of all time. It’s translation into theme parks is not as cut and dry as Mario and Zelda but even if it’s just meet and greets and merch it will still sell like hot cakes

Outside of those three IPs who could support lands themselves Nintendo has other IPs that are popular enough to support a ride:

-Donkey Kong
-Splatoon
-Metroid
-Kirby

Nintendo is the most beloved video game company of all time, and has the potential to be bigger then Harry Potter or Star Wars.

Last edited:

doctornick

It is a hard marketing sell to say look at these incremental improvements over time when the competition is saying they have an entirely new complex. Building a new park to match is unrealistic, but a single massive attraction based on a popular IP would be a great idea (like Hagrids going up against Galaxy's Edge). For example, a massive x-wing/tie-fighter dueling roller coaster in Galaxy's Edge would surely steal the show... not that it will happen of course.

Yeah, I think there is only so much WDW can do with "look at all these things we build a few years ago" when Universal is opening up a whole big park. I don't think that WDW would need a whole new park, but at least one new big ride coming out the same year that Epic Universe opens would I think be sufficient to prevent any cannibalizing of WDW's attendance towards Uni.

At the very least though, I would think Disney would consider big new entertainment offerings - like a light parade, new fireworks show at MK, a parade at DHS, etc - as counter programming. They could be developed quicker than a new ride(s) and would help with drawing in locals who are debating what APs to get.

My gut feeling is that if they want to do something to compete with Uni that an Indiana Jones ride might be a good option - whether a clone of DL's ride or something using the Shanghai Pirates tech.

celluloid

No. And if I did hear rumors on that I probably wouldn't disclose them. People should be able to make those decisions without online gossip. Talking about a purposeful leak and deleting hundreds of social media posts is one thing... outing a normal person pondering retirement is another.

We won't tell you what trying to get glory from "I told ya so" means.

peter11435

Well, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist or even a Disney insider to know that with construction projects shut down and on hold around the world, CAPEX spending would be down for the fiscal year. If there’s no construction activity on the sites for 3 months that’s 3 months you largely aren’t spending money on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom