Disney To Charge For Receiving Packages Shipped By Guests?

DisneyJoe

This is standard practice at many hotels, especially those that have convention facilities.

You are basically paying for storage and the time and labor of storing and handling of your packages.

djpoore94

Original Poster
We do this A LOT where I work, for our own convention and for several other seminars that we put on through out the year, we have NEVER been charged for this service. There really is not much labor involved, it's been our experience that the package gets delivered (we usually time it for no more than the day before check in), the front desk takes it and puts it behind the desk, or in a storage room, then whoever it was shipped to asks for it at the desk.

KC82271

This is because sooo many people are shipping things down now rather than pay the extra baggage fees.

I have done this forever, long before the fees, as I shipped soda and water down, as well as snacks - just so I didn't have to lug them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am not surprised and is not totally unreasonable.

I agree. It's not like EVERYONE does this, so why should they offer this as a free service to those who do?

You'd probably end up paying more to fly it down yourself anyway. :shrug:

Evan's Servants

Not surprising.

We do this A LOT where I work, for our own convention and for several other seminars that we put on through out the year, we have NEVER been charged for this service. There really is not much labor involved, it's been our experience that the package gets delivered (we usually time it for no more than the day before check in), the front desk takes it and puts it behind the desk, or in a storage room, then whoever it was shipped to asks for it at the desk.

This makes me wonder what convention centers you attend... Yes, it is standard practice and while our center will allow storage 3 days in advance, anything beyond will cost you. For "not much labor" you have both labor and space: someone to be at the loading dock to receive the boxes from UPS/FedEx/etc, check them against the incomming show list (to ensure the package actually belongs there), store them in a secure location, and then be expected to pull them out and deliver them to the appropriate booth or room location in a timely fashion. Yes, it does take time, and yes, you should expect to pay for that service. I know of centers which will charge you a fee to receive the package, plus a square-foot per day charge to hold the package. With a typical 200 booth trade show, you can expect up to 8 pallets worth of miscellaneous boxes, etc to show up on your loading dock. Otherwise, the freight is directed to the decorator -- GES, Fern, etc who will always add a nice service fee for both receiving and delivering said boxes.

In these days of watching every penny, it's no surprise that Disney will start charging for services above and beyond the guest "norms." With the amount of guests per resort and the number of boxes I've seen in the storage room (POR especially), I could easily see package receipt and delivery accounting for one full-time staff member.

tfolk

We ship to hotels all the time and are rarely charged. Just this past weekend we had shipped two boxes to a Hyatt and ended up paying $5 per box for receiving. It's a bargain considering the alternatives.

bgraham34

We ship to hotels all the time and are rarely charged. Just this past weekend we had shipped two boxes to a Hyatt and ended up paying $5 per box for receiving. It's a bargain considering the alternatives.

off course you know the price will go up in no time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom