Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

CaptinEO

I was also a big fan of this show, which is why I am particularly harsh on the movie. There was already a perfect prequel.

Now of course, not sure how true it is, but Pixar hated this show cause they didn't make it (only contribution being the theme song, which they were forced to do). Thus why it is not on Disney+. Lot of corporate politic stuff that is believable.

Whether the rumors are true or not, if Pixar wanted this to be the definitive Buzz prequel over Disney's TV series, they really needed to hit it out of the gate and top what that series did...and they didn't.

It's similar to how Web Slingers is not the definitive Spiderman ride nor will it ever be.
I could see old Pixar, in the time this show was made being very against this show. I'd certainly believe that. The company was always about quality and innovation and not churning sequels or TV shows.

Current Pixar though? Post Disney acquisition Pixar? Probably not even the same people or mindset as old Pixar. They've already made tons of ABC TV Toy Story specials as it is.

Just like Lucasfilm and Marvel, when Disney acquired them they claimed the companies would still have independent leadership, but we know who calls the shots.

Phroobar

I could see old Pixar, in the time this show was made being very against this show. I'd certainly believe that. The company was always about quality and innovation and not churning sequels or TV shows.

Current Pixar though? Post Disney acquisition Pixar? Probably not even the same people or mindset as old Pixar. They've already made tons of ABC TV Toy Story specials as it is.

Just like Lucasfilm and Marvel, when Disney acquired them they claimed the companies would still have independent leadership, but we know who calls the shots.

While Disney plays with Marvel in the pool, it's other adopted acquisitions are barley keeping their head above water (Pixar, Lucasfilm) while others have sank to the bottom long ago (Muppets and even Disney's own movies before 1989).

EPCOT-O.G.

While Disney plays with Marvel in the pool, it's other adopted acquisitions are barley keeping their head above water (Pixar, Lucasfilm) while others have sank to the bottom long ago (Muppets and even Disney's own movies before 1989).
Let alone the biggest acquisition of them all- 20th Century Fox.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let alone the biggest acquisition of them all- 20th Century Fox.

They just threw that one in the pool without even water wings.
Dunno, given that Avatar came from 20th Century and is releasing the first of several more films this December indicates to me that they are doing something with the IP that came from that Studio. Not to mention Aliens and several other franchises from 20th Century that have shows and movies in the works.

Phroobar

Dunno, given that Avatar came from 20th Century and is releasing the first of several more films this December indicates to me that they are doing something with the IP that came from that Studio. Not to mention Aliens and several other franchises from 20th Century that have shows and movies in the works.
FOX usually just floats on it's back the entire time.

EPCOT-O.G.

20CF acquisition was $70 billion. It just has to have a few dozen Avatar-like successes to even out. Alien movies have averaged about $200M per release which is LIGHTYEAR numbers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
20CF acquisition was $70 billion. It just has to have a few dozen Avatar-like successes to even out. Alien movies have averaged about $200M per release which is LIGHTYEAR numbers.
Point is they are doing something with it.

They literally have 386 projects listed that have already been released or have been announced between 2021-2024.

That doesn't seem like them just sitting on it.

Brer Panther

I'm beginning to think that Disney won't talk about ANY upcoming projects for the parks aside from the Splash Mountain retheme.

Do they have ANY other projects for the parks in development? At all? We haven't heard anything. Maybe we'll get an update on the PLAY pavilion for EPCOT and that's it?

TwilightZone

I'm beginning to think that Disney won't talk about ANY upcoming projects for the parks aside from the Splash Mountain retheme.

Do they have ANY other projects for the parks in development? At all? We haven't heard anything. Maybe we'll get an update on the PLAY pavilion for EPCOT and that's it?
They probably do, but I am not expecting too much. I do expect some news on EPCOT, WDW's Tomorrowland, and Disneyland's Toontown at the very least.
Also Shanghai's Zootopialand seems to have started construction. So possible update there?

denyuntilcaught

Now modern Disney took the idea of a sci-fi character and somehow could only talk about lesbian kissing and why this buzz needs to have a voice no one wants. Great marketing. What family wants to see this?
Except the irony here is that the "lesbian kiss" conversation is only being sustained by those who cite a 3-second blip as the reason why Lightyear sank. The rest of the world has moved on.

The movie didn't flop because of "political agendas" / "woke messaging" / "social messaging" or whatever Fox News said it was, it sank because of literally every other citable reason mentioned here: franchise fatigue, a movie no one asked for, replacement of it's lead character's voice actor, a bizarre meta plot, and again, franchise fatigue.

Minions, on the other hand, has a cult of a fandom keeping the lights on over there. Not to mention, the movie's success should certainly become a case study on the power of TikTok trends in advertising circles...

EPCOT-O.G.

Except the irony here is that the "lesbian kiss" conversation is only being sustained by those who cite a 3-second blip as the reason why Lightyear sank. The rest of the world has moved on.

The movie didn't flop because of "political agendas" / "woke messaging" / "social messaging" or whatever Fox News said it was, it sank because of literally every other citable reason mentioned here: franchise fatigue, a movie no one asked for, replacement of it's lead character's voice actor, a bizarre meta plot, and again, franchise fatigue.
Show your work, please. A lot of conclusions that aren't supported one way or the other.

Consumer

Minions, on the other hand, has a cult of a fandom keeping the lights on over there. Not to mention, the movie's success should certainly become a case study on the power of TikTok trends in advertising circles...
The reality is they just couldn't do better than Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

1657047911901.png

CaptinEO

I have no kids but know of 3 coworkers who have kids obsessed with Toy Story that arent comfortable taking their toddlers to see it for this reason. They feel their children aren't old enough to have this conversation.

2 are liberal, one is conservative. So it isn't even a "party" issue so to speak.

Do I agree with them? Not really. But I think it's odd Disney has chosen a political hill to die on at the cost of box office for a kids movie.

I agree the movie didn't look good regardless and recasting the voice actor was idiotic. That being said this had a built in market ready to see it. Clearly families are taking their kids to animated films and Buzz missed out.

I think it's completely wrong to say the "inclusion" didn't hurt the box office when 14 countries banned the film because of it.

TwilightZone

Lightyear's failures have been dissected to bits on this forum now, the most important thing I think is for Disney and Pixar to look at what to do moving forward. There deffo needs to be a shakeup.

But hey, good news is space mountain is most likely safe. 🎉
🎉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom