Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

smooch

They took a timeless story that had become as much of Disney as the haunted mansion and shoved music, actors, and an IP that may or may not stand the test of time.

Terrible “reimagining” if you ask me.
I get that music is a big part of GotG (at least that's what I've gathered, I haven't seen either movie all the way through I just can't enjoy them IP) but it feels incredibly tacky / cheap hearing music from real life on Disney rides. I get that for the general population who aren't Disney Park fans they just think "I love this song, and the ride is synced to it! Wow!" or something along those lines but that part bothers me so much when I rode GotG after it was rethemed. The entire ride is tacky to me. The jokes the plot the everything. Compare that to ToT which had impeccable theming and created a genuinely immersive atmosphere without relying on playing classic rock that you already know from real life and a bunch of screens.

CaptinEO

View attachment 648610
FIFTH! In its second week. This is a colossal dud. Disney tends to memory hole it’s box office failures. But, since so many right of center types are expressing glee at this movie’s failure, I think they’ll push forward with the refurb out of spite.
Best news is it means Disney stops throwing Toy Story all over their theme parks.

Phroobar

I get that music is a big part of GotG (at least that's what I've gathered, I haven't seen either movie all the way through I just can't enjoy them IP) but it feels incredibly tacky / cheap hearing music from real life on Disney rides. I get that for the general population who aren't Disney Park fans they just think "I love this song, and the ride is synced to it! Wow!" or something along those lines but that part bothers me so much when I rode GotG after it was rethemed. The entire ride is tacky to me. The jokes the plot the everything. Compare that to ToT which had impeccable theming and created a genuinely immersive atmosphere without relying on playing classic rock that you already know from real life and a bunch of screens.
It's not the first time they have added modern music to a Disney ride. See Rockin' Rollercoaster, Rockin' Space Mountain and Calfornia Screamin' overlay with the Red-hot Chili Peppers. When Space Mountain reopened in 2005, the sign could switch between Space Mountain and Rockit Mountain. The plan was to have modern music and rock concert lighting during the nighttime and regular Space Mountain in the day time.

dfsf.jpg

truecoat

It's not the first time they have added modern music to a Disney ride. See Rockin' Rollercoaster, Rockin' Space Mountain and Calfornia Screamin' overlay with the Red-hot Chili Peppers. When Space Mountain reopened in 2005, the sign could switch between Space Mountain and Rockit Mountain. The plan was to have modern music and rock concert lighting during the nighttime and regular Space Mountain in the day time.

View attachment 649092

An early concept of Space Mountain back in 1960-61 would have switched to Brubeck Mountain at night especially for date night at Disneyland. Shapes from the cover of Time Out would have been projected while listening to Take Five.

TwilightZone

As long as no IP is shoved in, I am fine with Rockin' Space Mountain. There was also a Rockin' California Screamin' around the time period as well.

My guess is that it was done "on the cheap" since they couldn't go through with the Rockin' Rollercoaster plans for DCA.

Phroobar

As long as no IP is shoved in, I am fine with Rockin' Space Mountain. There was also a Rockin' California Screamin' around the time period as well.

My guess is that it was done "on the cheap" since they couldn't go through with the Rockin' Rollercoaster plans for DCA.

I'd say it was shoved in. The Red Hot Chili Peppers IP is not cheap. It was part of their Rock the Bay promotion to get people to walk into DCA in 2007.

Here is Rockin' Space Mountain complete with Go Go dancers on the ceiling.

smooch

I remember riding Rockin' California Screamin' but don't remember the song of Rockin' Space Mountain, but I do remember riding it at some point. I think they got away with it because there's no other IP to go around, just rollercoasters with music. But with GotG:MB it's just so cheesily put into the ride and it's plot.

Phroobar

I remember riding Rockin' California Screamin' but don't remember the song of Rockin' Space Mountain, but I do remember riding it at some point. I think they got away with it because there's no other IP to go around, just rollercoasters with music. But with GotG:MB it's just so cheesily put into the ride and it's plot.
Rockin' Space Mountain played "Higher Ground".
Rockin' California Sceaming played "All Around the World". It should have played "Love Rollercoaster (Rollercoaster of Love)". It would have made more sense.

CaptinEO

To add more to Space Mountain's overlays.

During Gradnight 2006 they actually had Rockin Space Mountain with Hobostank for that season (back then gradnight was a separate event from day guests). This was a year before the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Also employees set up a halloween version in 2007 called Nightmare Nebula that would be open for cast some nights after closing.

I remember reading an old micechat thread from Disneyland's 50th. It talked about how basically Space Mountain was supposed to be officially reopened in September but last minute management told them (with very little time) it has to be open for Disneyland's June 50th Reopening.

Due to this the "Rockit" nighttime version was never fully finished.

CaptinEO

For those keeping track at home, Minions is about to make more in its first weekend than Lightyear’s pulled down in its entire run so far. This is bad. Very bad. Break even point for Lightyear was $600M. It’s going to limp out at $200M. View attachment 650284View attachment 650285
I think regarding the streaming thing, Disney's problem is they have little to no original content on Disney + so the feature films are the only interesting things being added.

Unless you want Marvel or Star Wars Spinoffs every 6 months it's very content poor.

EPCOT-O.G.

I think regarding the streaming thing, Disney's problem is they have little to no original content on Disney + so the feature films are the only interesting things being added.

Unless you want Marvel or Star Wars Spinoffs every 6 months it's very content poor.
Yes, but, they can’t completely walk away from box office. Good films that audiences want to see - not Lightyear- can still succeed. Why didn’t the “it’ll be on D+ soon anyway” thing hurt Dr. Strange? Some tried to rationalize this away by saying animated films haven’t done well in the pandemic. Well, Minions destroys that argument. Plus, films that cost $200M to produce make no sense from a business perspective. Much better to put that money towards a series, where you can grow and keep subscribers, than a film, which people may watch once or twice and be done in an afternoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom