Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

EPCOT-O.G.

What's now clearly apparent is that Lightyear is a huge box office bomb, and no Lightyear re-themes will be greenlit for any Tomorrowland makeovers anytime soon.

EF12827B-5A15-4BF9-A81A-EB5126A0E255.jpeg

FIFTH! In its second week. This is a colossal dud. Disney tends to memory hole it’s box office failures. But, since so many right of center types are expressing glee at this movie’s failure, I think they’ll push forward with the refurb out of spite.

mickEblu

I think what gets lost in this whole Lightyear retheme rumor is just how ugly, industrial and dystopian the “Space Mountain structure” looks in the film. No way they would change Space Mountain to look like that. Granted they don’t have to change the exterior but if folks are using the reasoning of that structure being in the film as proof that this is happening than my logic is fair game.

26BF1F4A-E738-426F-A2FF-60C8B6DDA45A.jpeg

J4546

I'd rather it be called infinity mountain. Also I'd rather it not get a ratheme at all. But I would be down for an all new SM like tokyo

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think what gets lost in this whole Lightyear retheme rumor is just how ugly, industrial and dystopian the “Space Mountain structure” looks in the film. No way they would change Space Mountain to look like that. Granted they don’t have to change the exterior but if folks are using the reasoning of that structure being in the film as proof that this is happening than my logic is fair game.

View attachment 648637
Well we are heading into a dystopian future, so it would fit into a realistic Tomorrowland.

mickEblu

Have you seen what they changed the Hollywood Tower Hotel to look like? Don’t put anything past them if it ties into an IP.

Hahah yeah but this is Space Mountain we’re talking about here. One of the most iconic structures at the park. I’d like to think they re not that foolish but then again my view of imagineers has changed from the old days. As the parks have become more limited with real estate/ opportunity for expansion and overlays become “necessary” it feels like imagineers will suggest anything the suits will bite on to stay busy/ employed. Even when the Disneyland/ Disney parks fan in them knows it’s the wrong move.

Then you have cases like GOTG:MB where the mandate came from Chappy but the execution is puzzling. It’s not like he asked for an oil refinery. Or politically motivated changes and my best example of “the suits aren’t the only problem” - the new POTC auction script.

TwilightZone

View attachment 648637
Let's not forget barf Space Mountain now...
brownmountain_withhista2000ah.jpg

EPCOT-O.G.

If this holds, this is going to cost Disney a lot of money. The budget of the film is estimated to be approx $200M, with another $100M in marketing costs (so roughly $300M). Keep in mind, Disney only gets half of the box office (it splits with theaters), so this film is likely going to lose around $150M-$175M (this would be Pixar’s worst film loss, and puts it in JOHN CARTER/THE LONE RANGER) territory in terms of losses.
3073B6C3-9D92-4B8F-A165-9B92859653FC.jpeg

Phroobar

View attachment 648637
Sure they would. Case in point:

fgfg.png

TrainsOfDisney

I get that it could def look better on the outside, but I do like what they were able to create on the inside using ToT ride tech. Its a pretty good reimagining imo. I wish they would go bigger with the Kirby Krackle affect around the building and make it light up
They took a timeless story that had become as much of Disney as the haunted mansion and shoved music, actors, and an IP that may or may not stand the test of time.

Terrible “reimagining” if you ask me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom