Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

imagineer97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The site that must not be named is reporting (again, initially in 2019) that Disneyland's Tomorrowland will be completely redone and this will be announced at D23 this year. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

mickEblu

The site that must not be named is reporting (again, initially in 2019) that Disneyland's Tomorrowland will be completely redone and this will be announced at D23 this year. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

I believe something will be announced for Tomorrowland at DL at D23. As soon as Tokyos plans were announced the chances shot through the roof. Just reading the tea leaves but It’s just hard for me to imagine them talking about a new TL for Tokyo across the street from Disneylands rotting TL without also mentioning something for here. Now if it actually ends up happening in the near future is another story.

If they do move forward so they the invest the resources required to do it right? I would hope so as it hadn’t received any “love” since 98.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I’m worried they may do more harm than good. :-/

Here’s what I would do -

- bring back a version of the peoplemover
- put the spinner back up where it belongs
- turn carousel of progress into the “Tomorrowland historical society,” a museum of tomrrowland and Disneyland as a whole.
- put a a figment 3D movie into the theatre.
- replace buzz lightyear with a figment dark ride or completely redo the buzz lightyear ride to go with the new movie.

Phroobar

I’m worried they may do more harm than good. :-/

Here’s what I would do -

- bring back a version of the peoplemover
- put the spinner back up where it belongs
- turn carousel of progress into the “Tomorrowland historical society,” a museum of tomrrowland and Disneyland as a whole.
- put a a figment 3D movie into the theatre.
- replace buzz lightyear with a figment dark ride or completely redo the buzz lightyear ride to go with the new movie.
Those are awful ideas.

Let's dream bigger with a totally leveled floor plan. We start with Horizons 2.0 and underwater roller coaster with Seabase Delta complete with volcano. We add a nanotechnology dark ride and scary Alien Encounter dark ride. Space elevator restaurant. TRON-like racing coaster through the land. Upgraded Autopia with hover cars, full steering control and glowing roadways. Roaming droids and aliens. Upgraded Space Mountain. Alien circus carousel theater.

Phroobar

I hope so, but I've been burnt before.

Miceage said the same thing today. So, do they have the same sources? Or is one just copying the other? Or is this all just wishful thinking?
Copying the other. Miceage posts that same prediction every year. Eventually they will be right. Besides 600 million is nowhere near enough. That is one ride and some pixar overlay paint. They need at least a billion and a completely new floor plan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Copying the other. Miceage posts that same prediction every year. Eventually they will be right. Besides 600 million is nowhere near enough. That is one ride and some pixar overlay paint. They need at least a billion and a completely new floor plan.
Well it depends on their goals, us fans would of course like more the $600M. But if they are just going to use the same bones of the land to retheme Buzz and do something with Launch Bay while giving a new paint job then $600M might be more than enough.

mickEblu

Well it depends on their goals, us fans would of course like more the $600M. But if they are just going to use the same bones of the land to retheme Buzz and do something with Launch Bay while giving a new paint job then $600M might be more than enough.

It better be enough for a new ride and new people mover too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It better be enough for a new ride and new people mover too.
I think we need to give up on the People Mover coming back.

As for a new ride, if Tron was really splitting the cost with WDW then it still might be enough for that, plus a retheme to Buzz and a new paint job.

mickEblu

As for a new ride, if Tron was really splitting the cost with WDW then it still might be enough for that, plus a retheme to Buzz and a new paint job.

But why must we give up. How much could it possibly cost. Just give the people what they want Disney. Does history always repeat itself? Would the people mover eventually have no one riding it again like it apparently was in the late 90s. I think the parks are so packed now that it would do well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But why must we give up. How much could it possibly cost. Just give the people what they want Disney. Does history always repeat itself? Would the people mover eventually have no one riding it again like it apparently was in the late 90s. I think the parks are so packed now that it would do well.
I'm just being realistic. But if we're just spouting fantasy projects, then sure lets bring back People Mover and Adventures thru Inner Space while we're at it.

Joking aside I just don't see Disney wanting to go backwards here with bring back an older attraction. Plus not sure how you would update it for all the emergency exit and other requirements needed since it would be a complete rebuild.

mharrington

As much as I would love to see Tomorrowland overhauled in some capacity, I have a sneaking suspicion it won't amount to much, if they do anything at all. And although I will be going to D23, I'm not sure if I will be able to attend the presentation.

Sadly, I believe you're right. According to TVTropes.org on the YMMV page on Disney parks: "Due to safety, legal and architectural issues, a new ride cannot be put into place nor can the tracks be removed." So no matter what happens, the PeopleMover track is here to stay forever.

mickEblu

I'm just being realistic. But if we're just spouting fantasy projects, then sure lets bring back People Mover and Adventures thru Inner Space while we're at it.

Joking aside I just don't see Disney wanting to go backwards here with bring back an older attraction. Plus not sure how you would update it for all the emergency exit and other requirements needed since it would be a complete rebuild.

Yeah I don’t see them bringing it back either. I think it’s totally doable but they probably just don’t have the interest in doing it. It’s not that I want the People Mover back per say it’s that I want the Tomorrowland on the move back and the People Mover is a big part of that. You feel about the People Mover the way I feel about the Skyway. It ain’t ever coming back.

Centauri Space Station

Yeah I don’t see them bringing it back either. I think it’s totally doable but they probably just don’t have the interest in doing it. It’s not that I want the People Mover back per say it’s that I want the Tomorrowland on the move back and the People Mover is a big part of that. You feel about the People Mover the way I feel about the Skyway. It ain’t ever coming back.
Well WDW did bring a form of the skyway back so anything’s possible

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom