Disney Ticket question - 20 years ago -

birdracing_5

Original Poster
I went to WDW 20 years ago and had a day we didn't use on our cards. I'm headed back there in April and this is the only ticket I was able to find. I e-mailed Disney and they said this was just my room card? (we stayed on property) - I'm trying to remember what we did to get into the park, but I thought we used this card also? Does anyone have any history on this?
IMG_0129.jpg

jaklgreen

That is exactly what Disney told you, your old room key card. If you used your key card to get into the parks, then it looks like you bought a length of stay package that included the tickets just for that stay. If you did not end up using that last day, it is gone.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I went to WDW 20 years ago and had a day we didn't use on our cards. I'm headed back there in April and this is the only ticket I was able to find. I e-mailed Disney and they said this was just my room card? (we stayed on property) - I'm trying to remember what we did to get into the park, but I thought we used this card also? Does anyone have any history on this?View attachment 442488

This is all before the Magic Your Way Tickets scheme was introduced. It's possible your ticket was a Length of Stay ticket?

Trackmaster

I went to WDW 20 years ago and had a day we didn't use on our cards. I'm headed back there in April and this is the only ticket I was able to find. I e-mailed Disney and they said this was just my room card? (we stayed on property) - I'm trying to remember what we did to get into the park, but I thought we used this card also? Does anyone have any history on this?View attachment 442488

Come on, you're not seriously trying to use a 20 year old ticket are you?

Goofyernmost

If you cannot remember how it was back then I would just take it to guest services and let them check it through their magic finger computers. Chances are you will get the same answer though.

MickeyLuv'r

Um, what?

Most of the above is incorrect, and I daresay, nonsense.

This ticket pre-dates Magic your Way. Back then, tickets did not expire. They were not tied to the length of your hotel stay. You COULD buy tickets that matched your length of stay, but you didn't have to buy that number of days.

The length of stay part is the length of your HOTEL stay only.

Even if you used all theme park days, you may well still have unused PLUS options on this ticket.

That said, you can no logner just walk into a park and use it at the tapstyle, even if it has days left. One way or another, you need to go to guest services. A hotel concierge might be able to look it up, but you need to have it converted to new ticket media. I think perhaps only a full GS can do that for you.

At one point, it was possible to email WDW the exact ticket info to find out the # of days left, but I'm not sure they still do that. If they were able to look it up via email, they would need the code on the back of the ticket - not the front side pictured.

Also, the ticket can't be modified. It is what it is. You can't add days to it. If you want to go in park more than the day left on this ticket, you'd have to buy a new ticket for those days.

On the plus, it is almost certainly a hopper if it has a regular park day (MK/HS/AK/Epcot) left. You might want to buy a non-hopper ticket for any other days, and use this just on the day you want to hop.

If only a plaus is left, it was suppsoed to be good- only at teh plus location that were open at the time you bought it- I think the water parks, mini-golf. (Disneyquest is now closed).

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

There is a clear time limit on the card. The park tickets that are non expiring have no date.
E-Bay it, some boi will buy it

Sorry, but the date on the card is the date of the HOTEL stay associated with this card, not the ticket.

Back in this era, we usually bought tickets separate from our hotel stays, but WDW used to BRAG that WDW tickets NEVER expire! Sad to see what has happened to them. Unused ticket days from that era don't have expiration dates.

In that era, we often bought more days then we needed, so we could use the remaining days for a return trip. We didn't worry if we were too tired one day.

OH- one more thing- WDW no longer sells no expire tickets. Since you need to look up this ticket, you can't book FP on the day you might want to use it, until AFTER WDW gives you a new ticket for it. OP, once WDW does update it, they may well give you a voucher that DOES expire, probably after just a few days.

jaklgreen

Back in this era, we usually bought tickets separate from our hotel stays, but WDW used to BRAG that WDW tickets NEVER expire! Sad to see what has happened to them. Unused ticket days from that era don't have expiration dates.

But then they were a separate ticket and not attached to your key card. The OP clearly stated that they used their resort key card to gain entry into the park and that would make it a length of stay ticket. They expired at midnight on the day that you checked out. The OP does not have an actual ticket, only their room key. So even if they did purchase a non-expiring ticket, they don't have their ticket so are out of luck.

Polydweller

Sorry, but the date on the card is the date of the HOTEL stay associated with this card, not the ticket.

In that era, we often bought more days then we needed, so we could use the remaining days for a return trip. We didn't worry if we were too tired one day.

OH- one more thing- WDW no longer sells no expire tickets. Since you need to look up this ticket, you can't book FP on the day you might want to use it, until AFTER WDW gives you a new ticket for it. OP, once WDW does update it, they may well give you a voucher that DOES expire, probably after just a few days.
Actually quite wrong. A length of stay ticket, in May 1999 renamed Unlimited Magic Pass, WAS for the length of stay and expired at the end of your stay. And those were purchased as part of your hotel stay. Other tickets didn’t expire but length of stay did. In the OP’s case, Disney has already told them that it was there room key so unless the OP can produce a separate ticket then the issue is done.

Kamikaze

But then they were a separate ticket and not attached to your key card. The OP clearly stated that they used their resort key card to gain entry into the park and that would make it a length of stay ticket. They expired at midnight on the day that you checked out. The OP does not have an actual ticket, only their room key. So even if they did purchase a non-expiring ticket, they don't have their ticket so are out of luck.

It could be done both ways - separate and as one card.

jaklgreen

It could be done both ways - separate and as one card.

You would have received a separate ticket media for any non-expiring ticket because if you did not use it all, you would need it to get in again. You would not be able to use an old room key to get into the park. If the OP just used a room key, then there is a very high chance that they got the length of stay ticket. He says that the room key was what the used to get into the parks. I would imagine if they were so keen to keep the ticket to use it at a later date, that they would have kept the actual ticket and not your room key.

Kamikaze

You would have received a separate ticket media for any non-expiring ticket because if you did not use it all, you would need it to get in again. You would not be able to use an old room key to get into the park. If the OP just used a room key, then there is a very high chance that they got the length of stay ticket. He says that the room key was what the used to get into the parks. I would imagine if they were so keen to keep the ticket to use it at a later date, that they would have kept the actual ticket and not your room key.

Yes, you could have. I have several from this time period that are non-exp tickets that also functioned as a room key. Thats whats meant by 'Your Key to the World' you could use the one card for everything - room, tickets, charging, etc. Heck, you can, even today, get cards like this instead of magic bands that still function as room keys and tickets in one card. Obviously the no expiration option is not available, but you can go to WDW right now and still do this exact thing.

birdracing_5

Original Poster
Yes, you could have. I have several from this time period that are non-exp tickets that also functioned as a room key. Thats whats meant by 'Your Key to the World' you could use the one card for everything - room, tickets, charging, etc. Heck, you can, even today, get cards like this instead of magic bands that still function as room keys and tickets in one card. Obviously the no expiration option is not available, but you can go to WDW right now and still do this exact thing.

I'm going to have to go through my box of stuff from the 20 years ago Disney trip and see if I had a separate ticket - I believe this is the only thing we ever had, because I put it in my lock box like it was something more important than it may or may not be. I think the only way to figure this out is to ask at guest services when we get there in March - but I hoped to use it to get into the parks on that trip.

erstwo

I have several of those cards from back then as well. The one I had was called Length of Stay. It didnt matter how many days you stayed, it expired on the last day. It worked as the ticket and room key.
Disagree - due to one thing that might be different from your experience.

I have 4 of these cards as well from an early 2000's trip with my in-laws. My in-laws graciously paid for our hotel room AND 10 day never expire tickets for all 4 of us. (Wowzers, right??)

The dates on the card were for our stay at the Polynesian over Easter. Easter was busy, our kids were tiny and more interested in the pool than a crowded park. We left that trip with 8 never expire days on those cards. We used 5 of them in early December later that year and 3 of them in February two years later.

I imagine you might have had 'length of stay' tickets because you didn't shell out the extra $300 or $400 per ticket (yes, I'm pretty sure it cost that much, even back then to make a 10 day ticket never expire) to upgrade your tickets to Never Expire.

If the OP paid for Never Expire back then, there's a chance they have a day left.

I'm going to have to go through my box of stuff from the 20 years ago Disney trip and see if I had a separate ticket - I believe this is the only thing we ever had, because I put it in my lock box like it was something more important than it may or may not be. I think the only way to figure this out is to ask at guest services when we get there in March - but I hoped to use it to get into the parks on that trip.
I hope you'll come back and tell us the end result after your trip!

Figments Friend

I can relate to this.

I have one 'Key To The World' card from 2003 or so that i swear has a one day Park Hopper admission left on it.
At the time, i stayed a week and had a five day Park Hopper admission attached to it.
Halfway though the visit, i realized i was going to have one day leftover.
So i specifically had asked a CM at the All Star Music Resorts' Guest Relations desk during my stay back then if the one leftover admission would still be usable in the future.
He said yes, just keep the card.

I have yet to use it...and i almost looked into it last year when a visited.
Time constraints were against me, so i didnt have the chance to ask about it even though i had brought the card with me.

My advice would be to just bring the card with you, explain your situation at your Resort hotels' Guest Services desk and they will take it from there.
They can check to see if any admission media is still attached to the account number.
It is the only real way to be sure, and get your answer.

Good luck !

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom