Disney ticket disaster

Gary Bramwell

Due to a serious accident we were unable to fly out on 17 Oct 16. We had purchased 7 adult and 3 child Disney/Universal switch tickets from Orlando Attraction Tickets in August which we have not been able to use and are not covered by our insurance. OAT can't/won't help as our tickets have been linked to our party. Disney are not interested in the slightest and just offered to sell us more tickets before wishing me "a magical day"!
Can tickets be un-linked or extended into 2017? We have offered to pay the additional sum for 2017 tickets. Has anyone else had a similar experience

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know if this is the case with the OP or not, but it's a good reminder that people should spend a minuscule amount to protect the much larger sum.

Hopefully you never need to use, but it's nice to have in case. We have insurance on our cell phones, yet people don't insure a vacation. So crazy to me.lol

Unless you spend that 15% everywhere and don't use it .. :) I never carry insurance on my cell phone.. nor most extended plans on things :)

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
We all have travel insurance nobody in there right mind would travel without they are saying because the tickets were booked separate from the holiday they aren't covered.
Any insurance company is going to try to wiggle out of a claim, especially on the first attempt to file.

Keep pressing them, as this was a major expense for your travel plans.

Sometimes persistence pays off.

So you now have two options:

Posting bad reviews of OrlandoAttractionTickets and posting bad reviews against your travel insurance company.

Neither of them like to see bad reviews posted all over the internet.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Unless you spend that 15% everywhere and don't use it .. :) I never carry insurance on my cell phone.. nor most extended plans on things :)
The math makes sense for me. I buy the new iPhone every year @ $800. I purchase apple care for @ $130. I'd much rather do that rather than be in a situation to suddenly spend another $800 or more if I lose my phone.
We all have travel insurance nobody in there right mind would travel without they are saying because the tickets were booked separate from the holiday they aren't covered.
Keep fighting it! It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't be viewed as part of the vacation. The company is wrong, keep pressing them.

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

Daveeeeed

Good luck with this. Can your wife go in a wheelchair? Last trip that's what I had to do. You can try social media and getting it to go viral. I guess just driving them crazy too. I wish you the best of luck, but if you end up going next year and have to buy new tickets go after Avatarland opens:(:). Good luck for the tickets and for fast healing! Hopefully next time you'll book from Disney or read the terms and conditions of whoever you buy them from.

Upvote 0

Jess G

If I were you I would try to go at the end of your wife's recovery... get a wheel chair and enjoy.... if not is a resale possible?? I'm sure somebody on the internet would jump for a discounted disney ticket... you might have to sacrifice a couple bucks but better then the whole enchilada.

Upvote 0

Baldy

No the tickets say they expire at the end of 2016.But you would have thought a multi billion company like Disney would sort it out we can provide medical proof.We have heard that universal will sort it(or they did last year for someone)and discovery cove have been brilliant and said we can either hold our reservation for 2 year's or obtain a full refund.why not Disney?
First of all, I'd just like to say I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I wish her a speedy recovery. I don't think the issue is with Disney, but the fact that it was bought through a third party. A few months back I had to cancel my Disney trip less than 48 hours before flying out because of a serious illness. Disney was very accommodating in rebooking the trip and refunding my son's tickets as he will not be able to travel with us on our new dates. The airline however fought us tooth & nail. I encourage you to continue contacting the company that sold you those tickets and put it in writing. We finally got our refund after I faxed the airline a letter and doctor's certificate explaining that it was an unforeseen medical emergency. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Jon81uk

The UK tickets are usually tied to a specific year, unlike the US tickets.
If you have linked them to MDE already I would guess you are completly unable to sell them on. Otherwise, although Disney will say you can't sell them on as they are non-transferable, you could try. But personally I wouldn't buy £150+ tickets from eBay, so I'm not sure how successful it would be.

Unfortuantly this might just be a lessen in checking out how good travel insurance is, I have also learnt that this year when we were detained by hurricane matthew and found we might not get that much money.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

If the tickets do in fact expire at the end of 2016, there is no refund available, no alteration of dates through OAT, then the decision is simple...take everyone but your wife. I know is stinks, but it is looking at throwing away $5,000 vs ~$500.

I am not sure why you would even buy tickets from a 3rd party because UK/Europe travelers have incredible deals already.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the tickets do in fact expire at the end of 2016, there is no refund available, no alteration of dates through OAT, then the decision is simple...take everyone but your wife. I know is stinks, but it is looking at throwing away $5,000 vs ~$500.

I am not sure why you would even buy tickets from a 3rd party because UK/Europe travelers have incredible deals already.

Because you should read the info in this thread. His plight is not tied to buying from a third party, it's about the uk special tickets and Disney.

And he's stated he does have travel insurance except for the tickets. He is looking at about $420 per person loss... Not thousands.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Because you should read the info in this thread. His plight is not tied to buying from a third party, it's about the uk special tickets and Disney.

And he's stated he does have travel insurance except for the tickets. He is looking at about $420 per person loss... Not thousands.

$420 per person = thousands.

It rubs me the wrong way when people can't have empathy for someone in a bind and feel the need to chastise them as if any "lesson" is worth thousands of dollars, and as if any company will lose anything by changing the dates of this gentleman's trip.

Rules need reasons, or we're just sheep. They also need exceptions or they're just rules for the sake of rules.

Upvote 0

21stamps

$420 per person = thousands.

It rubs me the wrong way when people can't have empathy for someone in a bind and feel the need to chastise them as if any "lesson" is worth thousands of dollars, and as if any company will lose anything by changing the dates of this gentleman's trip.

Rules need reasons, or we're just sheep. They also need exceptions or they're just rules for the sake of rules.

The main problem is with the travel insurance company. Theme park tickets are most definitely an insurable part of a trip. I don't understand why the company wouldn't include them, it just doesn't make sense. I would be calling/emailing/then calling them again.

The UK tickets are usually tied to a specific year, unlike the US tickets.
If you have linked them to MDE already I would guess you are completly unable to sell them on. Otherwise, although Disney will say you can't sell them on as they are non-transferable, you could try. But personally I wouldn't buy £150+ tickets from eBay, so I'm not sure how successful it would be.

Unfortuantly this might just be a lessen in checking out how good travel insurance is, I have also learnt that this year when we were detained by hurricane matthew and found we might not get that much money.

I have never heard of a travel insurance company not covering all non refundable parts of the trip. I include excursions, tickets, etc. This is a little frightening bc it does sound like a shady company.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have never heard of a travel insurance company not covering all non refundable parts of the trip. I include excursions, tickets, etc. This is a little frightening bc it does sound like a shady company.

Its not inconceivable to buy insurance for one purchase... and have other separate purchases excluded... especially if the insurance was bought along side a transaction. (vs buying an umbrella policy via 3rd party tied only to the trip itself). Its also common to exclude purchases that may be open ended... but this is a grey area where they are open ended, but expiring, etc.

Basically... do your homework. Insurance by definition don't want to pay :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom