Disney themed Nintendo Switch - sign of Nintendo partnership?

Darkprime

Original Poster
Wasn't sure where else to put this but thought it was interesting.

This isn't the first time Nintendo and Disney have partnered.

We've talked about how maybe Disney could acquire a gaming company in the future. Could Disney maybe acquire Nintendo? Or is this just a great partnership that's continues to grow?

Quinnmac000

Wasn't sure where else to put this but thought it was interesting.

This isn't the first time Nintendo and Disney have partnered.

We've talked about how maybe Disney could acquire a gaming company in the future. Could Disney maybe acquire Nintendo? Or is this just a great partnership that's continues to grow?

Its too late for Disney unfortunately as they didn't make enough investments earlier...Japan tightened laws restricting foreign ownership of Japan owned companies in communication and information sector making it much harder for them. Additionally, Disney has been lax when it has come to ownership with most Asian assets which puts them at a huge disadvantaged compared to Warner Bros and Universal who both own large scale respected japanese music/entertainment companies. (NUEJ for Universal which is one of the historic anime companies previous Geneon in addition to full ownership of USJ and Warner Music Japan which is huge in the music scene and producing Japan based live action adaptations of manga and anime). Disney has partnered with Japan before but their Japanese focused interactions/activities are limited. In fact they don't even have a major operations building in Japan.

http://www.mondaq.com/x/816208/Terr...ormation+And+Communications+Technology+Sector

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney will never buy Nintendo. Never ever.
Don't say never. No one ever saw Disney buying Lucas, Marvel, or Fox either. Also Nintendo has been on the target list of many companies for a long while, Apple being the main rumored company right now.

So if Disney wants to make a big splash into the gaming market I could see them buying Nintendo.

Brer Oswald

Don't say never. No one ever saw Disney buying Lucas, Marvel, or Fox either. Also Nintendo has been on the target list of many companies for a long while, Apple being the main rumored company right now.

So if Disney wants to make a big splash into the gaming market I could see them buying Nintendo.
Outside of the price range (Nintendo is worth less than FOX, but billions more than Lucasfilm or Marvel were), Nintendo as a company are way too stubborn and independent to go for a merger. They like to do their own thing. Nobody will buy them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Outside of the price range (Nintendo is worth less than FOX, but billions more than Lucasfilm or Marvel were), Nintendo as a company are way too stubborn and independent to go for a merger. They like to do their own thing. Nobody will buy them.
I'm not saying specifically Disney will buy them, just that I could see it. But someone will buy them in the next couple of years. Again Apple is the biggest name the comes up. Also over the last couple of years Nintendo has publicly stated they are open to being acquired or merging with another company. So no they aren't too stubborn.

Brer Oswald

I'm not saying specifically Disney will buy them, just that I could see it. But someone will buy them in the next couple of years. Again Apple is the biggest name the comes up. Also over the last couple of years Nintendo has publicly stated they are open to being acquired or merging with another company. So no they aren't too stubborn.
They won’t be bought by anyone. They are open to partnering with other companies, not giving away their own. Nintendo does their own thing.

In the 90s, Microsoft tried to buy them and they refused. Apple won’t buy them. It was a mere suggestion by investors. With the success of the Switch, they are just increasing in value. They aren’t struggling and they don’t need to be bought.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They won’t be bought by anyone. They are open to partnering with other companies, not giving away their own. Nintendo does their own thing.

In the 90s, Microsoft tried to buy them and they refused. Apple won’t buy them. It was a mere suggestion by investors. With the success of the Switch, they are just increasing in value. They aren’t struggling and they don’t need to be bought.
The same was said about a lot of companies over the last 100 years that no one thought would be bought. But yet they were. So don't count out them being bought just because you don't think anyone will plop down the money.

We live in a world of conglomerates, it'll happen.

Brer Oswald

The same was said about a lot of companies over the last 100 years that no one thought would be bought. But yet they were. So don't count out them being bought just because you don't think anyone will plop down the money.

We live in a world of conglomerates, it'll happen.
So who’s Disney being bought by?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So who’s Disney being bought by?
They aren't an independent company anymore. They are one of the conglomerates, in fact one of the largest on the planet now.

However with that said there were many times over the 80s and 90s where the company was almost bought. In fact Comcast tried to buy Disney in the early 00s before Iger said no.

Quinnmac000

They are legally not allowed as post above per Japanese law so yes it will never happen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They are legally not allowed as post above per Japanese law so yes it will never happen.
Actually your post is incorrect. The article you posted doesn't mention any of that.

The amendments to the existing law applies to Information Technology and Communication Technology companies, basically adds them to the existing list of restricted businesses. Nintendo is neither, its a Consumer Electronics company, which is not on the restricted business list.

Also the law itself is about direct investment into a Japanese company, not acquisition or merger of a Japanese company. The "acquisition" listed in the article you posted is about acquisition of shares within a company for investment purposes. Not for buying out a company.

The whole point of the law and these amendments is similar to US laws, its to prevent foreign investment into specific industries for National Security. And again this doesn't apply to Nintendo.

So no there is nothing to prevent Disney (or any other US company) from buying Nintendo if they wished, other than normal Japanese rules for transfer of assets to a foreign company. I personally don't think it'll happen anyways, but I never say never when it comes to M&A activities.

Last edited:

matt78

This is no different then any of the other limited edition consoles Nintendo likes to sell. Isn't Disney really popular in Japan? I imagine this will sell out pretty quickly and then Nintendo will move on to their next limited edition themed console.

I also doubt that Nintendo will get bought out anytime soon.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Disney isnt buying Nintendo.

thenerdbaker

In all honesty Disney would be smart to have interest in Nintendo since they are known for family entertainment. The issue is Disney has a horrible track record when it comes to videogames and the companies they acquire. Just look into the rumors of the frozen level of kingdom hearts 3 being edited down so bad it ended up being a weird level with very little going on. (rumor has it Elsa was the original bad guy of the level and Disney said no). As much as I love Disney they at times can stifle creativity and this is not good for videogames.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
However, wouldn't it be great for Disney to buy anotherset of IP that Universal was dependent on and would give Disney even more confidential data on Universal's themeparks.

That data is also very specific to just Disney and I believe vetted by a third party to provide only the info Disney needs in regards to merchandise and dollars spent on their attractions per the contract.

Disney is not privy to anything other than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom