News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

bpadair32

Just turn on your resort TV. Its the default channel, and the weather is right there, with visualization!

I don't want visualization or to watch 15mins of the morning news to get the weather forecast. I just want a device to tell me. If it can also do that while I am drying off from the shower that's even better.

Janir

I have worked in IT for 20+ years, and have been in cybersecurity and worked with information security for almost a decade. I don't like these things. At all. And I'm far from the only one. I'm careful with my cell phone, and what apps I install, and what I allow apps to do or know about me. I'm definitely careful about what I do when on a public WiFi network, and we're teaching our kids the same things. It's not being "afraid of technology", I assure you. So to paint with as broad of a brush as you did discredits you and whatever your position is completely.

Google doesn't give one whit about you or your privacy. YOU are the product with anything Google does. This will be no different. As mentioned by @wdwmagic I sincerely hope that Disney does the smart thing (no pun intended) and gives an easy way to opt out of using or even having these powered on in your room.

It's funny - The more "smart" things that get foisted onto the public as being great for them, the dumber the populace tends to become, particularly around privacy.
Ditto. I'll let one of these things in my home or resort room when they are smart enough to operate on their own and not have to require backend processing. Then I'll put up a home rolled device where I can have confidence that I've seen the code and I know that its not collecting data and phoning home with it.
Until that date, nope.

Janir

How? VPN? Then your VPN provider has all the info. Tor? Thats been cracked before. There is no such thing as perfect privacy.

This is a little, um, extreme methinks.
If you had any idea how bad the state of security is for IoT in general and how bad an actors Google, Amazon and Apple are with the voice data, you'd run screaming. My company has been working on security devices for some time now and we've had to do plenty of research and at least our system uses a multiple key management system to encrypt device to app data. But its the data your outright giving Google, Amazon an Apple that's the real problem. Go into your Google or Amazon device history and see all the things you told it via voice. Then look for the things that it thinks you said. Now that's just was was prefaced by "Hey Alexia, ...." what else is it picking up on and being collected that they HAVN'T told you about?

bpadair32

If you had any idea how bad the state of security is for IoT in general and how bad an actors Google, Amazon and Apple are with the voice data, you'd run screaming. My company has been working on security devices for some time now and we've had to do plenty of research and at least our system uses a multiple key management system to encrypt device to app data. But its the data your outright giving Google, Amazon an Apple that's the real problem. Go into your Google or Amazon device history and see all the things you told it via voice. Then look for the things that it thinks you said. Now that's just was was prefaced by "Hey Alexia, ...." what else is it picking up on and being collected that they HAVN'T told you about?

I know exactly what they have. I have looked at the data. I don't care. I am not uninformed. I am quite well informed. I just make a different value judgment than you do.

So, what you're asking for is TVs in the shower...

No, I love my Echo.

BlindChow

It would be interesting if they developed the awake word to be "Mickey" rather than Alexa or something like that.
That would be a terrible idea at a Disney resort.

It should be a word that isn't likely to be used in normal conversation between occupants.

bigrigross

How? VPN? Then your VPN provider has all the info. Tor? Thats been cracked before. There is no such thing as perfect privacy.

It depends what VPN you use. A good VPN does not keep logs and thus does not matter if they get cracked or subpoenaed as there is nothing to hand over. Also the good ones (Not Free) tend to use the highest available encryption for their tunnels. Tor is a POS and was never secure in the first place.

bpadair32

It depends what VPN you use. A good VPN does not keep logs and thus does not matter if they get cracked or subpoenaed as there is nothing to hand over. Also the good ones (Not Free) tend to use the highest available encryption for their tunnels. Tor is a POS and was never secure in the first place.

Just because they say they don't keep logs doesn't mean its true. It also doesn't mean that someone can't watch traffic in real time. I am not saying that it is likely, but the point is it comes down to trust. At some point, you have to trust someone.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Just because they say they don't keep logs doesn't mean its true. It also doesn't mean that someone can't watch traffic in real time. I am not saying that it is likely, but the point is it comes down to trust. At some point, you have to trust someone.
images(22).jpg

tomast

This wouldn't be new. I'm sure with the whole MDE thing Disney knows everything they possibly want to know about everyone that enters the resort.
*Average family arriving to the room after a long day at WDW parks.

[Junior] -"Hey dad what are we going to do tomorrow??"
[Dad]-"Mmm... I was thinking maybe we can go to visit Harry on hogwarts..."
[Room AI] -"(tun-tun sound) [Star wars theme song playing] Build your own star wars lightsaber at Tatooin traders and Adventure yourself to The Black Spire Outpost on the misterious planet of Batuu. ¿Are you able to flight the famous Millennium falcon? come and explore this incredible land only at Disney Hollywood Studios "
[Junior] -"Mmm... I think dad´s idea is fun, I want to buy a Magic wand at olivanders"
[Room AI] -"(tun-tun sound) Adopt a fantastic Banshee from the Rookery only at Pandora World of Avatar at Disney´s Animal Kingdom"
[Dad]-.Mayb.."
[Room AI] -"(tun-tun sound) Dont´t miss tomorrow's special Frozen skyliner desert party get access to limited edition magic bands buying you tickets now"
[Junior] -":oops:"

[Dad]-"Ok, how do we turn this off?"
[Room AI] -"You can edit your "Magic your way" passport and add one more day to your existing tickets for the price of a uber to Univer..."
[Mom] -"
Done, I found the unplug it from behind the bed"

bigrigross

Trust is easy to figure out. Especially if you go off the best VPN list on torrentfreak. The good ones list every subpoena they have received. And how much information they gave (which for the top list would be who paid and email). Yeah some are worthless, even paid, but the first indictment of a VPN user caused by a VPN giving logs would be a serious loss of trust and income. I get what you are saying though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom