News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

Missing20K

Depends on the software and the phone. But even then you are assuming that there is not a bug or programming glitch. Further, your ISP already knows every website you visit, as does every wifi you connect to. So ¯\(ツ)
Got it.

I understand the ISP has all the info from what I browse. My point was that browsing the internet is not the same as having a device constantly listening. I use the internet for lots of things, but I don't need the internet to know when I'm in the shower. Or giving my kids the what-for. Or giving my wife the.......ok I think I've made my point. ;)

eliza61nyc

Haven't read all of the replies but could it be that Disney isn't really testing it for this current generational visitor, more and more folks are using voice activated devices and becoming more comfortable with them.

actioncookbook

me in my room: hey, uh, can we get fast passes for Mine Train today?

Disney: I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

220px-HAL9000_Case.svg.png

Janir

Nope. They roll this out resorts wide and I'll unplug the damned thing. While I'm on WDW property, I take it as a given that they are tracking my movements with Magic Bands etc. They do NOT need to listen to anything I might be saying in my room at night. Nope. Not a chance that will happen. If they make it some sort of fixed device, I'll take a leatherman to it to disable it, whatever I need to do to make sure its NOT operable under ANY circumstances and that I can put it back into operation on my way out.

bpadair32

I know how to hide from my ISP. It's not difficult.

How? VPN? Then your VPN provider has all the info. Tor? Thats been cracked before. There is no such thing as perfect privacy.

Nope. They roll this out resorts wide and I'll unplug the damned thing. While I'm on WDW property, I take it as a given that they are tracking my movements with Magic Bands etc. They do NOT need to listen to anything I might be saying in my room at night. Nope. Not a chance that will happen. If they make it some sort of fixed device, I'll take a leatherman to it to disable it, whatever I need to do to make sure its NOT operable under ANY circumstances and that I can put it back into operation on my way out.
This is a little, um, extreme methinks.

Minnesota disney fan

These types of speakers are going to be very common place in homes, and I think the expectation will be that they will be available in hotel rooms. I think Disney is wise to test this out - privacy will of course be a big issue however. It should be easy enough to offer a way to opt out - either power off or remove from the room.

To quote Yoda: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Or maybe it wasn't Yoda, but it's cool!

Minnesota disney fan

A test is certainly wise and needed to work out the kinks. However, people generally have an expectation of privacy in a hotel room. Besides, people who use smart speakers also have smart phones which can fill in as the digital assistant when not in the home.

Making these opt-out is a bad idea, and I think Disney will figure that out. Can you imagine checking in and being told, "By the way, all rooms here have a smart speaker, if you want total privacy, you'd better unplug it." Making smart speakers available for people who request them is a much better plan, and should be Disney's goal.

Wow! Common sense! thanks for that!

kevlightyear

Another site is reporting that these devices won't link to your MDE account. So they won't even be able to tell you anything about your trip. You won't be able to ask "When is my first fastpass tomorrow?" or "Where are our reservations for tonight?"

They'll only be able to answer generic questions like park hours, bus times, maybe show times. It's a talking times guide. How useful is that really? If they connect them eventually to curtains, lights, thermostats, then that might add some utility, but boy would it be expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom