Disney sued for $250 million by woman claiming Frozen is stolen from her life story

brisem

Original Poster
Disney sued for $250 million by woman claiming Frozen is stolen from her life story

9-FROZEN-Walt-Disney-Featur.jpg

Isabella Tanikumi has filed a lawsuit claiming to have spotted alleged similarities with her self-published 2010 autobiography

Thursday 25 September 2014

facebook.png

twitter.png

googleplus.png

reddit.png

linkedin.png

share.png

PRINT
A
A A
Disney's global hit Frozen might be about a queen with magical icy powers who accidentally freezes her kingdom, but one woman is convinced that the storyline is a rip-off of her own life.

Ads by Google

Latin American author Isabella Tanikumi is sueing Disney for plagiarism in a $250 million lawsuit, claiming that the plot is based on her 2010 autobiography and not Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale, The Snow Queen.

Tanikumi's self-published book, Yearnings of the Heart, details her experiences of growing up in the Peruvian Andes but surprisingly, no chattering snowmen, talking trolls or secret ice palaces feature.

Nevertheless, Tanikumi's three page complaint insists thatFrozen stole the story, characters and general feeling from her work and demands a jury trial. She lists 18 examples of what she claims to be plagiarism from characters' names to the animated film's central sisterly relationship.

p36-forzen.jpg
Disney is being sued for $250m by Isabella Tanikumi

Amazon's synopsis describes her autobiography as a “compelling, introspective account” which sees Tanikumi take readers on a journey “through various phases of her remarkable life from her family's survival during the devastating earthquake of 1970 in Huarez to the trials of overcoming heartbreaks of her youth”.

There is the 'sister element' of Frozen, apparently, as Tanikumi recalls “conquering personal insecurities and exploring the reaches of her intellect while facing the tragic, and untimely death of her beloved sister, Laura”.

Then there's her struggles getting used to American life and culture, her “many enduring friendships” and a dialogue with “long lost love Eduardo”.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yeah well I fell for a guy who was lazy and just wanted to sing and play his instruments all day long.

And somehow, I turned into a freaking frog and met this cool gator dude.

It all worked out In the end though, I got my restaurant... And my guy learned to work it.

Disney stole MY life story. Brb, calling lawyer.

bgraham34

This is a funny read. She is suing Disney and without a Lawyer.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/per...isney-s-frozen-plagiarized-her-book-1.1096488

A Peruvian author who now lives in New Jersey has filed a lawsuit claiming the Walt Disney Company plagiarized her autobiography to make the popular animated movie “Frozen.”

Isabella Tanikumi, also known as L. Amy Gonzalez alleged in the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Newark, that characters, plots and settings in the movie were taken from her book, “Yearnings of the Heart.” The lawsuit seeks $250 million. Released last year, “Frozen” has grossed over $1.2 billion.

Related: Read the lawsuit

“I recently purchased and viewed your movie “Frozen” with my daughter and was appalled at what I observed,” Tanikumi said in a letter she wrote to Disney in July, according to the filing.

“Your movie is a plagerism [sic] of my books and you must be made aware of this problem. First my pen name is Isabella Tanikumi and I have published ‘Living My Truth’ and ‘Yearnings of the Heart.’ Both of these books deal with the story of two sisters who have tragedies, romances, conflicts, isolation and loneliness and there are significant similarities with your movie.”

Tanikumi, who filed the suit without a lawyer, listed 18 examples of what she said were instances of plagiarism.

The movie is a fairy tail about two sisters, Elsa and Anna. Tanikumi claims in the lawsuit that the sisters bear striking similarities to herself and her older sister, Laura. She and her sister, for instance, are two years apart, much like Elsa and Anna, who are close in age. Both pairs of sisters have opposite hair colors and have horses, she said.

Tanikumi did not return a phone call or respond to an email Thursday seeking comment.

A Disney spokeswoman also did not return a phone call Thursday.

Tanikumi was born and raised in Peru’s Andean mountains, according to the web site of her publisher, FriesenPress. She is now a registered nurse, registered physical therapist, and licensed acupuncturist who lives in Northern New Jersey with her family, the site says.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/per...rized-her-book-1.1096488#sthash.DJ57ZbJI.dpuf

dumboflyer

Upon interviewing for my first job, a well-known senior partner at a law firm rhetorically asked me if I thought there was even such a thing as a "frivolous lawsuit", and then took the time to pontificate about how he can't fathom why the public thinks any litigation is ever unnecessary or frivolous.

I am sorely tempted to call him up and ask him about this...

TB4244

I once spent many weeks moving my house to south America by helium filled balloons and I had to look after a small child whilst dealing with talking dogs and at the same time.

I'm seeing similarities, why had I not noticed this before? I'm making that phone call....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom