Disney stopped paying author royalties

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Dear Mickey,

We have a lot in common, you and I. We share a birthday: November 18. My dad’s nickname was Mickey. There’s more.

When you purchased Lucasfilm you acquired the rights to some books I wrote. STAR WARS, the novelization of the very first film. SPLINTER OF THE MIND’S EYE, the first sequel novel. You owe me royalties on these books. You stopped paying them.

When you purchased 20th Century Fox, you eventually acquired the rights to other books I had written. The novelizations of ALIEN, ALIENS, and ALIEN 3. You’ve never paid royalties on any of these, or even issued royalty statements for them.

All these books are all still very much in print. They still earn money. For you. When one company buys another, they acquire its liabilities as well as its assets. You’re certainly reaping the benefits of the assets. I’d very much like my miniscule (though it’s not small to me) share.

Slpy3270

Ah, the classic Hollywood accounting trick.

Reminder: David Prowse has not gotten his pay for Return of the Jedi, 37 years after release.

Old Mouseketeer

This is ridiculous. I don't understand how this can make sense for Disney or how they could possibly believe that it's worth it! I predict this will prove to be a self-inflicted wound for Disney. The company should back down and try to do damage control, otherwise they will create tremendous ill will, and not just in creative communities. Boo Disney!

#DearMickey #DisneyMustPay

P.S. Thank you for posting this.

Slpy3270

This is ridiculous. I don't understand how this can make sense for Disney or how they could possibly believe that it's worth it! I predict this will prove to be a self-inflicted wound for Disney. The company should back down and try to do damage control, otherwise they will create tremendous ill will, and not just in creative communities. Boo Disney!

#DearMickey #DisneyMustPay
I hate to break this to you but this is almost certainly an industry-wide phenomenon. Musicians (most recently Taylor Swift) deal with this all the time and there's no sign of it stopping unless Congress steps in (LOL to that).

Old Mouseketeer

I hate to break this to you but this is almost certainly an industry-wide phenomenon. Musicians (most recently Taylor Swift) deal with this **** all the time and there's no sign of it stopping unless Congress steps in (LOL to that).
I haven't been following the details with Taylor Swift. I know her back catalog has been sold, but is she being denied her contractural royalties? Or was it just a bad contract?

Slpy3270

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom