Disney Stock Price

BrianLo

No one cares about “slow rise”…so it’s all made up

People care if you aren’t looking to make silly tech/crypto lottery speculative moves for a quick buck.

My overall point remains that Disney’s stock ride over the last few years makes zero sense. It’s completely detached from its value. It should have never gone over 200$ with its core businesses shut down in the first place.

It fell from a nonsense peak and Disney was caught with their pants down when the market suddenly cared about valuation again.

TP2000

Closing bell yesterday ended the year. It's been an ugly year for Burbank, but the trajectory doesn't seem to have turned around yet.

It lost 44% in 2022. If you invested $1,000 in DIS a year ago you'd have $560 today.

It's lost 22% in the past five years. If you invested $1,000 in DIS in 2018 you'd have $780 today. That's not a good look.

2023 can't be any worse than 2022, can it? Happy New Year! 🥳

HowLowCanYouGo.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People care if you aren’t looking to make silly tech/crypto lottery speculative moves for a quick buck.

My overall point remains that Disney’s stock ride over the last few years makes zero sense. It’s completely detached from its value. It should have never gone over 200$ with its core businesses shut down in the first place.

It fell from a nonsense peak and Disney was caught with their pants down when the market suddenly cared about valuation again.
I’m not disputing you in theory…but for 20 years it’s been nonsense “big scores” that defy logic and mathematics

Unsustainable

Never let anyone “tell you” what they’re worth…and that is corporate America now

EPCOT-O.G.

Closing bell yesterday ended the year. It's been an ugly year for Burbank, but the trajectory doesn't seem to have turned around yet.

It lost 44% in 2022. If you invested $1,000 in DIS a year ago you'd have $560 today.

It's lost 22% in the past five years. If you invested $1,000 in DIS in 2018 you'd have $780 today. That's not a good look.

2023 can't be any worse than 2022, can it? Happy New Year! 🥳

View attachment 689221
The streaming bubble’s close to popping and we’re heading into a recession, which typically stifles luxuries like travel and cruises.

Vegas Disney Fan

Which is why as an investor you should diversify across a wide variety of not just stocks but other investments while trying to keep costs low, ie index funds. I’m down for the year but my portfolio still beat the S&P 500 this year.

My IRA is still stocks and bonds but as I’ve gotten older I’ve moved a lot of my former investments into CDs, I also cashed out a healthy chunk about a year ago to pay off my mortgage, I can’t stomach the wild ups and downs of the market anymore. A guaranteed 4% a year is easier on my nerves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thats……..quite the take. So owners of a business shouldn’t be able to ever get any of the profits it generates. I don’t think I agree.
What’s the history of the dividend?

I’ll admit it’s an academic exercise…but still

And if a company is profitable…the stock would go up…and your shares increase. Hence you would “get” the profits, correct?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
What’s the history of the dividend?

I’ll admit it’s an academic exercise…but still

And if a company is profitable…the stock would go up…and your shares increase. Hence you would “get” the profits, correct?
A dividend is the mechanism by which a publicly traded company distributes some or all of its profits to its owners. Without any hope of a future dividend a company would be worthless, because the only way to make money on it would be to sell it to someone else (e.g. how the crypto market works), but who would buy a company whose profits are untouchable? Think of it more like as a law firm distributing cash to its partners, just on a larger scale.

Also, without a dividend, cash will just build and build on a company’s balance sheet. It’s good to reinvest in your business, but at a certain point you run out of reasonable and profitable ideas.

The market value of a company at any given time is in theory the net present value of all of its future dividends.

That’s not to say that companies don’t abuse dividends, some absolutely do, but to me that needs to be resolved with regulations, not eliminating dividends entirely.

JoeCamel

A dividend is the mechanism by which a publicly traded company distributes some or all of its profits to its owners. Without any hope of a future divided a company would be worthless, because the only way to make money on it would be to sell it to someone else (e.g. how the crypto market works), but who would buy a company whose profits are untouchable? Think of it more like as a law firm distributing cash to its partners, just on a larger scale.

Also, without a dividend, cash will just build and build on a company’s balance sheet. It’s good to reinvest in your business, but at a certain point you run out of reasonable and profitable ideas.

The market value of a company at any given time is in theory the net present value of all of its future dividends.

That’s not to say that companies don’t abuse dividends, some absolutely do, but to me that needs to be resolved with regulations, not eliminating dividends entirely.
I can accept all that with this caveat;
Any company paying dividends out of "profits" while it's workforce is scrambling from paycheck to paycheck and divisions are sucking capital from the bottom line (unprofitable) and others operate in a bare bones manner is being dishonest. The don't have profits to be distributed they have liabilities and obligations to be met and are not operating in the best interest of the business by manipulating the stock price.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A dividend is the mechanism by which a publicly traded company distributes some or all of its profits to its owners. Without any hope of a future dividend a company would be worthless, because the only way to make money on it would be to sell it to someone else (e.g. how the crypto market works), but who would buy a company whose profits are untouchable? Think of it more like as a law firm distributing cash to its partners, just on a larger scale.

The reason dividends exist was it was an investment partnership between the management and the stock owners. Owners would buy more stock for some
Type of capital investment - ie the money to increase manufacturing capacity or some type of product investment. And after that money raising…the company would pay out dividends to reward the stock owners supporting them and allowing for new profits with that new investment.

So that’s a lot different than simply paying out slices to everyone, isn’t it? Which encourages bad management to cut corners just to pay that dividend…

TP2000

My IRA is still stocks and bonds but as I’ve gotten older I’ve moved a lot of my former investments into CDs, I also cashed out a healthy chunk about a year ago to pay off my mortgage, I can’t stomach the wild ups and downs of the market anymore. A guaranteed 4% a year is easier on my nerves.

I'm much the same way; I divested myself of volatile stocks starting about two years ago, and moved stuff into bonds and CD's and some rental real estate. Slow and steady wins the race, and once you reach a certain age you can sit back and enjoy it. Isn't Capitalism great?!?

That said, 2021 was a lucky year for me personally. If I'd been as good at timing markets my whole life as I was for a brief, shining moment in '21 (mostly out of dumb luck), I'd be a Billionaire. 🥴

One item I lucked into about a year ago: I sold my big, old, paid-off house in OC at the tip-top of the market. I went up to OC last week for dinner with friends from the old neighborhood. My former home is still off the market. The investment firm of hotshots that bought it from me misjudged the turn in the market and it's still just sitting there. I think they're trying to figure out what to do with it, and many other properties they bought in the suddenly collapsing OC real estate market. Rent? Sell at a loss? Hold it until this spring and pray for a miracle?

At least they've still got a landscaping crew stopping by every Tuesday, and they're still watering the lawns. Suckers. 🤣

Last edited:

Trauma

I'm much the same way; I divested myself of volatile stocks starting about two years ago, and moved stuff into bonds and CD's and some rental real estate. Slow and steady wins the race, and once you reach a certain age you can sit back and enjoy it. Isn't Capitalism great?!?

That said, 2021 was a lucky year for me personally. If I'd been as good at timing markets my whole life as I was for a brief, shining moment in '21 (mostly out of dumb luck), I'd be a Billionaire. 🥴

One item I lucked into about a year ago: I sold my big, old, paid-off house in OC at the tip-top of the market. I went up to OC last week for dinner with friends from the old neighborhood. My former home is still off the market. The investment firm of hotshots that bought it from me misjudged the turn in the market and it's still just sitting there. I think they're trying to figure out what to do with it, and many other properties they bought in the suddenly collapsing OC real estate market. Rent? Sell at a loss? Hold it until this spring and pray for a miracle?

At least they've still got a landscaping crew stopping by every Tuesday, and they're still watering the lawns. Suckers. 🤣
For you to win someone else has to lose.

But man it sure feels good when you win!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom