Disney Stock Price

Frank the Tank

To me, this is what anyone with any basic business sense saw coming. People weren’t going to keep subscribing to every new streaming service.
I believe that’s true… but also believe that every company that has been dependent on linear/cable TV revenue (of which Disney is actually the #1 example as ESPN revenue bolstered the entire company for much of the 21st century) has HAD to try to create a streaming service. To not do so would have been equivalent of a brick and mortar retail store refusing to invest in an Internet retail platform for the past 20 years. Linear/cable TV revenue is going to eventually go away and the only option for these companies to fill that void is to have a viable streaming platform in place when that finally happens (just like the pandemic exposed which retail stores had strong online retail platforms and ones that didn’t).

Not every streaming service will survive, but the point is that any entertainment company that is not putting a bet on a streaming service is *guaranteed* to not survive in the long run.

Now, whether these entertainment companies are running their streaming services *well* is certainly an open question.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well in my opinion I can't help but think that Disneys complete lack of respect for the parks and its guests, have impacted the entertainment side. I would bet that there are more people like myself that aren't as gung-ho on Disney just because of how the parks have gone over the last 5 or so years especially. I know it's not the majority, but it's part of the equation in my opinion. I don't make it a priority to run out and see the latest offering, or buy the blu-rays, soundtracks... We used to go to the parks every year. From 94 through 2016 we went every year except the 2 years my kids were each 5 months old. We haven't been back to the parks since, and interest has significantly dropped off on all things Disney in our household. Maybe it's just me.
It’s not just you…

Disney’s customers are an interconnected “spider web”…and always has been. You mess with strings and the web starts to break down.

People can shout “the parks have never been more packed!” Each and every day until the decline reaches a tipping point…and then we can put it to bed and play dumb

erasure fan1

People can shout “the parks have never been more packed!” Each and every day until the decline reaches a tipping point…
Are the parks more crowded than ever? Or does it seem that way because of how they are being managed? Rides not being run at full capacity... Things not being open... Staffing issues... Maybe they are more crowded, I really don't know. I know they are making more money because they are charging so much more. But I do wonder about how crowded it is v.s. how crowded it feels.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Are the parks more crowded than ever? Or does it seem that way because of how they are being managed? Rides not being run at full capacity... Things not being open... Staffing issues... Maybe they are more crowded, I really don't know. I now they are making more money because they are changing so much more. But I do wonder about how crowded it is v.s. how crowded it feels.
I do wonder if a lot of it feeling crowded has to do with Genie+ as well. More guests waiting around for their next LL instead of waiting in line.

JoeCamel

Am I missing something about how a 10 month old tender offer from a company that does encrypted email??? is relevant?
If they want mine for $143 they are welcome to them

DCBaker

Premium Member
Am I missing something about how a 10 month old tender offer from a company that does encrypted email??? is relevant?
If they want mine for $143 they are welcome to them

Here is the press release from tonight - maybe the poster meant this one?

VJ

Here is the press release from tonight - maybe the poster meant this one?

oh, that's weird... i did mean that one. i followed the link in a recent blogmickey article (posted today) and missed the date of the posting (they linked to an outdated article) - my apologies

JoeCamel

EPCOT-O.G.

Are the parks more crowded than ever? Or does it seem that way because of how they are being managed? Rides not being run at full capacity... Things not being open... Staffing issues... Maybe they are more crowded, I really don't know. I now they are making more money because they are changing so much more. But I do wonder about how crowded it is v.s. how crowded it feels.
They’ve incentivized having the parks and lines feel more crowded than ever, and stand to benefit financially if guests perceive the lines to be longer than they are. It’s a lot more fiscally prudent to run minimal staff in such situations. Create the poison, sell the cure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s actually answer “c”

Travel has risen on a steady trajectory for the last 70 years…a consistent/steady uptick. Everywhere…including Disney parks.

Disney had successful built to stay just ahead of that curve until the early 2000s

Robert Iger showed up. Period…full stop. That’s the deal, kids

TrainsOfDisney

It’s actually answer “c”

Travel has risen on a steady trajectory for the last 70 years…a consistent/steady uptick. Everywhere…including Disney parks.

Disney had successful built to stay just ahead of that curve until the early 2000s

That’s actually a good point. While Eisner under-built parks (DAK and DCA) he continued to expand the infrastructure.

To be fair…. 2001 had something to do with things as well :-(

EPCOT-O.G.

It’s actually answer “c”

I also think we’re shifting from more of a goods economy to a services economy. My wife and I are Gen X’ers, and she’s decidedly been caught up in the “minimalist” movement, more “gifts of experiences” than things. And if you believe the studies and polls, younger generations are even more in line with this (eschewing homes and cars).

Ayla

I also think we’re shifting from more of a goods economy to a services economy. My wife and I are Gen X’ers, and she’s decidedly been caught up in the “minimalist” movement, more “gifts of experiences” than things. And if you believe the studies and polls, younger generations are even more in line with this (eschewing homes and cars).
Gen X'er here, too, who has recently embraced the minimalist movement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Gen X'er here, too, who has recently embraced the minimalist movement.
…i hate you Gen Xers…all cynical and stuff 🙄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom