Disney stock finally surges following launch of Disney+

Darkprime

Original Poster
Currently sitting at $148.72. They've been sitting at around $130 for the last year or so. Up nearly 8% following the launch of Disney+

thomas998

I have to wonder though how much they get from cable subscribers and whether this along with the other streaming services will start eliminating even more of the cable subscribers. Given Disney is generating money from more than just the Disney channel on cable packages, they may be hurting themselves a bit especially with the low price for the streaming. Of course it is Disney so I have to expect the price to start creeping up annually just like their park prices.

seascape

I have to wonder though how much they get from cable subscribers and whether this along with the other streaming services will start eliminating even more of the cable subscribers. Given Disney is generating money from more than just the Disney channel on cable packages, they may be hurting themselves a bit especially with the low price for the streaming. Of course it is Disney so I have to expect the price to start creeping up annually just like their park prices.
Hulu is already the number one over the top skinny bundle provider. In time, as more and more people cut the cord, they will become extremely large in providing live television, so they will actually make more money from their television channels than they do now. The rest of the skinny buddle providers will continue to pay Disney for their channels, and while they won't be as profitable, they will still make money. The most important thing to look for is with over the top service, ads can and will be directed directly to individual consumers and will cost the advertiser more money and thus the over the top providers will make more money than the current cable company model.

thomas998

Hulu is already the number one over the top skinny bundle provider. In time, as more and more people cut the cord, they will become extremely large in providing live television, so they will actually make more money from their television channels than they do now. The rest of the skinny buddle providers will continue to pay Disney for their channels, and while they won't be as profitable, they will still make money. The most important thing to look for is with over the top service, ads can and will be directed directly to individual consumers and will cost the advertiser more money and thus the over the top providers will make more money than the current cable company model.
Are you saying that Disney Plus is going to have advertising on it? If that's the case then you just helped me justify not getting it. I get disgusted with Amazon Prime when they stick a stupid trailer for some other show on before the video I'm streaming... if it wasn't a part of the regular prime service I would have dropped it by now for that very reason. Nothing more annoying that ads for something your streaming, not only do you have your time wasted by your also wasting data... and if you don't live in a big city where you can get unlimited data you don't want to lose data watching advertisements.

seascape

Are you saying that Disney Plus is going to have advertising on it? If that's the case then you just helped me justify not getting it. I get disgusted with Amazon Prime when they stick a stupid trailer for some other show on before the video I'm streaming... if it wasn't a part of the regular prime service I would have dropped it by now for that very reason. Nothing more annoying that ads for something your streaming, not only do you have your time wasted by your also wasting data... and if you don't live in a big city where you can get unlimited data you don't want to lose data watching advertisements.
No, there will be no ads on Disney Plus. However, Hulu is ad based for most customers and Disney will use their knowledge of the customer to determine which ads you would be more interested in.

thomas998

No, there will be no ads on Disney Plus. However, Hulu is ad based for most customers and Disney will use their knowledge of the customer to determine which ads you would be more interested in.
Got it... that's the reason I don't bother with Hulu. Probably the reason I don't think I can think of a single person I know that uses Hulu.

seascape

Got it... that's the reason I don't bother with Hulu. Probably the reason I don't think I can think of a single person I know that uses Hulu.
Hulu has several Marvel Series and it is now the home of The Orville. I don't like commercials but they aren't that bad and it keeps the price down. In fact, Disney makes more money from customers who pay less and take the ads. It is a case of paying more for no commercials or taking advantage of the advertising.

Darkprime

Original Poster
And stock is down again after the surprise CEO announcement yesterday. $128.19 oof. Basically where it was at prior to the Fox deal. Yikes. All that momentum and progress lost.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom