Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

DisneyTransport

A show that already has dated gear. A show that requires a production crew to do regular maintenance on that gear. A show that needed serious technical updates before covid. A show that has old moving lights and needs new lights. A show with water leakage issues. A show that will take many hours of production labor just to get it back to working shape. When effects sit (for months and longer) things don’t just fire up on their own.

That’s why I don’t hold out hope. And I don’t see the company putting the necessary funds into it.
Brutal, but these are straight FACTS. I avoided Fantasmic like it was the plague. Not my job! While I really do love the show... I fear for the worst.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Here's what I don't get: I went to Universal last week for the 1st time in 5+ years. THEY have entertainment - a lot of it - why can't Disney? Also, it was nice to see the TMs without the face shields - those have to be absolutely miserable for Disney CMs

TrainsOfDisney

Someone tell Pete Werner he better start preparing to lead the Bring Back Entertainment parade (as he says he will if Equity doesn’t return like before).

From what I’m hearing it doesn’t sound good.
I know people in entertainment who are still furloughed at Disney. There is a reason all the equity actors and union musicians went from furloughed to laid off.

doctornick

I tried to find the best thread to ask this rather than start a new one....

Do any of the insiders know what future plans are post-Covid regarding entertainment? Specifically, are shows like Hoop De Doo or Sprit of Aloha gone forever or is there plans/anticipation that they will return when we return to "normal"? I'm not asking about a timeframe but more like "have they taken the opportunity to cut these forever?" or is there an intention to bring them back when guest numbers warrant?

Thelazer

I hate to say, but I suspect the only numbers that make sense is if said entertainment was "profitable", not how much guest demand there was. Thinking along those lines, could we see a return of Hoop De Do? Yes, but it will be a shell of it's former self while they make it more "Profitable"

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I hate to say, but I suspect the only numbers that make sense is if said entertainment was "profitable", not how much guest demand there was. Thinking along those lines, could we see a return of Hoop De Do? Yes, but it will be a shell of it's former self while they make it more "Profitable"
Guest demand = profit so I don't know what you're saying. Sometimes a show/entertainment is the soul reason someone may visit a specific park. That's a whole theme park ticket day right there.

Jrb1979

Guest demand = profit so I don't know what you're saying. Sometimes a show/entertainment is the soul reason someone may visit a specific park. That's a whole theme park ticket day right there.
They could bring back to shows buy without the equity actors and use regular CM's. It saves in cost of the show.

UNCgolf

That's hard to quantify, though. There's no way to know a person is only going to Hollywood Studios for the Indiana Jones stunt show unless they answer a survey question about it.

The only real way they'd notice is if a park suffered a sudden drop in attendance right after closing a specific show. Demand seems high enough that that isn't going to happen -- they'll just replace those guests with others who don't care about the show.

Vegas Disney Fan

I tried to find the best thread to ask this rather than start a new one....

Do any of the insiders know what future plans are post-Covid regarding entertainment? Specifically, are shows like Hoop De Doo or Sprit of Aloha gone forever or is there plans/anticipation that they will return when we return to "normal"? I'm not asking about a timeframe but more like "have they taken the opportunity to cut these forever?" or is there an intention to bring them back when guest numbers warrant?

I’m not an insider but my guess is the big name attractions (Lion King, Indiana Jones, Finding Nemo, etc) and shows that are direct revenue generators (Hoop de doo, Spirit of Aloha, etc) will be back, I worry about the less visible acts though (Epcot performers, HS streetmosphere, etc), the average guest will notice a huge empty building but only those in the know will miss a street show. That makes them easy targets for cost cutting.

doctornick

I’m not an insider but my guess is the big name attractions (Lion King, Indiana Jones, Finding Nemo, etc) and shows that are direct revenue generators (Hoop de doo, Spirit of Aloha, etc) will be back, I worry about the less visible acts though (Epcot performers, HS streetmosphere, etc), the average guest will notice a huge empty building but only those in the know will miss a street show. That makes them easy targets for cost cutting.

Oh I definitely agree that streetmosphere stuff is going to be cut - though I think we'll have some return when the parks are at more normal guest capacity - I'm just hoping we don't see the end of larger scale productions that really have help make WDW a complete destination.

I do fear for DHS is the shows don't return. Way too much of that park's capacity if concentration on shows and it won't be able to handle any sort of crowds without them (it kinda couldn't handle crowds already with what it has had).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That's hard to quantify, though. There's no way to know a person is only going to Hollywood Studios for the Indiana Jones stunt show unless they answer a survey question about it.

The only real way they'd notice is if a park suffered a sudden drop in attendance right after closing a specific show. Demand seems high enough that that isn't going to happen -- they'll just replace those guests with others who don't care about the show.
I doubt Indiana Jones was raking in people to go to that specific park, too. But I'd be willing to bet Lion King & Nemo (both together) at AK were.

NelleBelle

Hopefully disney recognizes that they need a couple shows at HS to pull people out of those lines. Without Indy and BatB (eesh, that poor show), there's not a whole lot of options to sit for a while and get off your feet. I can't imagine that park once park restrictions are lifted and "regular" crowd attendance is back to "normal"--it may be one of the parks we opt to avoid just due to the crowds if something isn't done.

Thelazer

Indy was outdated, rumors of a re-do have been going on for years.
Cost a ton of money to run also.

I would not expect that show to return.

techgeek

Indy was outdated, rumors of a re-do have been going on for years.
Cost a ton of money to run also.

I would not expect that show to return.

The rumors around Indy go back almost the whole way back to its opening.... and it’s the only opening day Studios attraction left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom