Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

Touchdown

I have no idea how anyone isn’t miserable right now, at least if they are following safety guidelines. Human beings are social creatures and since March we’ve been told to not be, at least directly.

Lilofan

Get ready for sad news.
The Q4 company public earnings conference call was completed today with CEO Chapek and CFO Christine with Wall Street analysts. An analyst asked about the layoffs. Christine advised the company exceeded synergy over $2 Billion dollars and the parks and experiences will continue to have operational efficiences. Synergy is the code word for layoffs and operational efficiencies is a term for you know what.

drew81

A show that already has dated gear. A show that requires a production crew to do regular maintenance on that gear. A show that needed serious technical updates before covid. A show that has old moving lights and needs new lights. A show with water leakage issues. A show that will take many hours of production labor just to get it back to working shape. When effects sit (for months and longer) things don’t just fire up on their own.

That’s why I don’t hold out hope. And I don’t see the company putting the necessary funds into it.

Unbanshee

A show that already has dated gear. A show that requires a production crew to do regular maintenance on that gear. A show that needed serious technical updates before covid. A show that has old moving lights and needs new lights. A show with water leakage issues. A show that will take many hours of production labor just to get it back to working shape. When effects sit (for months and longer) things don’t just fire up on their own.

That’s why I don’t hold out hope. And I don’t see the company putting the necessary funds into it.

Are we still talking about mermaid?

doctornick

Yikes. At first I thought maybe this was talking about the Electric Water Pageant but Fantasmic! not returning sounds terrible

techgeek

Yikes. At first I thought maybe this was talking about the Electric Water Pageant but Fantasmic! not returning sounds terrible

I have not seen the slightest mention anywhere... from Disney, from insider sources, barely any casual speculation... about the long (or short) term status of the EWP. Certainly it's something that could be running now, if there was desire. It doesn't draw a large crowd, and these days plays mostly to paying resort guests who could use another amenity right now. It's conspicuous in its absence and lack of info. If I had to guess, with the current overall entertainment outlook it would be that we never see it run again. But, that's just a guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom