Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

Piebald

Since I've been fortunate enough to go to TDR and to an extent DL, WDW has always seemed like the low rent version of the aforementioned. But with all these cuts I feel justified when I tell people that a place like TDR is to WDW what Neiman Marcus is to Walmart. This is pretty bad. Joy frolicking in the grass for 10min in 90 degree heat? Better drop $5000 to see that /s

Disney Analyst

I’m researching my annual pass agreement to see if this a breach of contract...I will not renew.

what’s upsetting is that UO has found a way to make do, but the ***** can’t figure it out.

I just think it's important that we remember UO and WDW are very different beasts. I agree this sucks, but UO has always had WAY less entertainment then Disney, and is much easier to maintain what they have already.

I know it sucks, but it isn't a fair comparison IMO.

DisneyTransport

It does say a lot when the exec gives specifics like Joy being on some lawn. That was the type of thing you used to stumble upon (look kids, who is that there! wave hi!), not center your whole trip around it. I told my friends in New England hold off on their trip here, and do something else. Its simply not the same experience IMO, yet they are charging high prices still. I'm not sure how Disney can spin this to work in there favor. I feel like they could devolve from a theme park to an amusement park real quick unless some innovation happens with marketing.

techgeek

I know it sucks, but it isn't a fair comparison IMO.

And for decades, it wasn't a fair comparison because Disney entertainment was so far above the competition both in quality and quantity. They were, literally, the industry leader.

Today? Even pre-covid, Disney had been outclassed in many aspects not only by Universal, but but Herschend and Cedar Fair. What's next, it's not fair to compare WDW entertainment to Six Flags?

KBLovedDisney

Well, for a lot of people the shows, fireworks, parades, character performers, etc... are what make it WDW. Its not WDW just because the sign says so.
College Football Touchdown GIF by DICK'S Sporting Goods

This. 1,000x This!!!

DVCakaCarlF

They are doing what they can. I think anyone who loves WDW should just be happy it is open at all and is at least somewhat the same trip as we were able to have pre-pandemic. Yes the shows missing and fireworks, etc. are a big loss but again, at least it's open.

My trip a few weeks back was almost as magical as our regular trips. In some ways it was better, in some ways worse. But I'm just happy to be able to go at all knowing that at some point in the next year or two most of these missing elements will return in some form.

They really can't drop the ticket prices, it would cause a flood of issues and possibly make it not worth even having the parks open.
I agree to some extent...yes, it is business decision to both hire and fire staff. It’s just part of the realities in any job, business, etc.

That being said, they were cutting entertainment before COVID. Remember muppets moments in history?

Disney Analyst

And for decades, it wasn't a fair comparison because Disney entertainment was so far above the competition both in quality and quantity. They were, literally, the industry leader.

Today? Even pre-covid, Disney had been outclassed in many aspects not only by Universal, but but Herschend and Cedar Fair. What's next, it's not fair to compare WDW entertainment to Six Flags?

Quality is certainly subjective, but I'd argue even with cuts WDW has still had an enormous quantity of entertainment, until these layoffs.

I get it's easy to bash this as Disney being Disney, but I think it will only be fair of us to wait and see what the recovery brings in the future.

Figments Friend

Had a fun experience at work the other day.

Customer comes in and starts striking up a conversation about how they were thinking of visiting WDW.
Grandma and a grandchild.
They asked for my opinion since I was obviously a 'Disney Theme Park nerd' dressed as a certain purple dragon for Halloween.

After talking to me for 10 minutes, they felt they had gained some real insight into the current situation as well as some informative tips.
When I casually told them no entertainment offerings, Shows, Parades, or Nighttime spectacles / fireworks are operating and probably won't until maybe next year....they decided not to go.

So the entertainment , and lack of it, does indeed make a difference even to potential Guests that aren't geeks like us.

-

peoplemover

I’ve been several times since the pandemic started and have had a great time even with the reduced offerings. Sure, I’ve missed some of the special events, but it’s still a really great experience in my opinion even without the shows and fireworks.

It’s very hard to see these types of entertainment cuts and layoffs, but it’s certainly not exclusive to Disney. We had pay cuts and layoffs at my own company. We aren’t going to know what to expect until we can see the end of the road with covid, unfortunately.

NelleBelle

My one big fear is that with these cuts in entertainment, what, if any of it, will return? I’m extremely doubtful Citizens of Hollywood or Main St will return. They might fill the Nemo theatre with something lame, or not. Same with BatB. Monsters Laugh Factory will probably sit empty, like SGE. I just don’t ha e faith in corporate Disney to do the right thing and bring back entertainment to WDW because they seem to think all anyone cares about are the rides 😠

drew81

My one big fear is that with these cuts in entertainment, what, if any of it, will return? I’m extremely doubtful Citizens of Hollywood or Main St will return. They might fill the Nemo theatre with something lame, or not. Same with BatB. Monsters Laugh Factory will probably sit empty, like SGE. I just don’t ha e faith in corporate Disney to do the right thing and bring back entertainment to WDW because they seem to think all anyone cares about are the rides 😠
Much of it will never return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom