Disney Springs tenant watch

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But taking that reasoning to an extreme, a Target or Super Wal-Mart would also make exciting additions to Disney Springs. That way, guests would not need to venture out to 'local shopping malls' to obtain things they need while on vacation (apparently, there are a decent number of people who do).

The question we should be asking is whether Art of Shaving contributes an innovative or unique element to Disney Springs. Art of Shaving could have a place, much like Earl of Sandwich which now has other locations, but chains should ordinarily be avoided (I could happily do without Starbucks; They can't make a decent cup of coffee anyway). Disney Springs is a generally well done development, and since Disney insists on using tenants rather than make the effort themselves, they absolutely must be quite selective in who they rent to.
Here's my 2 cents. Not everyone shares the opinion that Disney Springs needs to have only unique retail locations to be a success. If you set that as the bar to judge the project then yes, art of shaving is a poor choice as is Star Bucks.

My personal feeling is that it's OK to have a mix. If you mix in some retail locations that exist elsewhere but also have some unique elements it should be possible to please most people. With 150 locations there is more than enough room for both. So for locals who can go to Art of Shaving or an Apple Store just off property they can just skip those locations and visit the stores/restaurants only available at DS. For the tourist crowd they can pick and choose what locations to visit based on personal taste or time available.

I say most people because we all know there are some people who will find issues with the project no matter what.

Bolt

Here's my 2 cents. Not everyone shares the opinion that Disney Springs needs to have only unique retail locations to be a success. If you set that as the bar to judge the project then yes, art of shaving is a poor choice as is Star Bucks.

My personal feeling is that it's OK to have a mix. If you mix in some retail locations that exist elsewhere but also have some unique elements it should be possible to please most people. With 150 locations there is more than enough room for both. So for locals who can go to Art of Shaving or an Apple Store just off property they can just skip those locations and visit the stores/restaurants only available at DS. For the tourist crowd they can pick and choose what locations to visit based on personal taste or time available.

I say most people because we all know there are some people who will find issues with the project no matter what.
And for the people who don't like it - well, that's more parking for us :)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
As long as the restaurants and shops are fairly unique and provide a good quality level I don't see any problem with a few higher end stores being located in DS that may be in an above average mall. Sunglasses Hut is a good example, I have actually purchased items (scratched lens replacement and ear-socks for a pair of Oakley's) on two separate occasions because I needed them and was on vacation, wished they had an Apple store too as we needed to replace a cord or two over the years.

As for Art of Shaving...meh but I may look at what they offer. I never thought my family would care about Basin either because we have very similar offerings here but have purchased several items including a few gifts over the years.

For me personally, as long as there a a good variety of relatively unique offerings I would say it is a success. The one thing I would say is sorely missed by my family right now is the ESPN store and the formerly co-located Rawlings store. Both were frequented often with a lot of $$$ spent at both. I know I can go to the Boardwalk for the ESPN gear and off-site for the Rawlings but it was so convenient at DTD that we spent more often than we will now that we have to drive out. Maybe I am lazy but I prefer not to shop, especially if I have to drive there while I am on vacation. If the locations are at DS and we are there eating it is convenient and therefore more palatable for me to mill around as opposed to driving for 20 minutes to go somewhere.

Kman101

Not sure how anyone can say the end result won't be "anything special" without actually seeing it? Yes it's just a shopping district but I think expectations are waaaay too high for it. It's not going to please or excite everyone. I can't say shopping thrills me in the slightest, but let's wait for the final product and let's wait until these stores actually, you know, move in.

I'd say we're getting a decent slate of stores and restaurants, IMO. To each their own. How many of you will spend your days at malls anyway? It's clear they are going for experiences. Art of Shaving, sure you can knock it as an 'errand store' but for another guy that's the highlight of his day there as his wife and kids spend all of his money. To each their own.

Why does everything have to be 100% original and unique? Some of these stores some of you will probably never go into. It's interesting how two places are fixing up their shopping districts and one gets praise no matter what it does. And how many people are really going to know or care that AoS has other locations? Maybe one of them is moving from there to DTD or they're popular enough for another one. I admit I never heard of it until this thread.

And thanks to everyone in here who's keeping the updates going!

Adam N

I think for a lot of middle Americans who come to WDW, there are places that they don't have in their closest malls. There's a Harley store, but there's also two others within like 10 miles. There's a LEGO store, Planet, Rainforest, Ghirardelli, a big Disney store, HoB, a movie theater... I understand the point that it should be unique and a one of a kind experiene, but there's no possible way they could have just a bunch of start ups. Right? Like they have to choose companies they trust won't fail within like 2 months. So they go with choices that work in other places. Am I wrong in this thinking? Idk. I think, as someone who works for an operating participant, that there is an advantage to bringing in other businesses to help sell goods and merch and food. Disney is best when providing entertainment. They don't need to be master chocolatiers or have they best concert venue or have the best circus act or have the nicest running merch. Right? Like let someone else with expertise in that area do that work for you. If you're worng on on a group project and there's someone. Your group that's awesome at making PowerPoints while you're really good at giving the presentation... That's what you do. Because that's what works best for you and everyone shows watching. Right?

raymusiccity

I think for a lot of middle Americans who come to WDW, there are places that they don't have in their closest malls. There's a Harley store, but there's also two others within like 10 miles. There's a LEGO store, Planet, Rainforest, Ghirardelli, a big Disney store, HoB, a movie theater... I understand the point that it should be unique and a one of a kind experiene, but there's no possible way they could have just a bunch of start ups. Right? Like they have to choose companies they trust won't fail within like 2 months. So they go with choices that work in other places. Am I wrong in this thinking? Idk. I think, as someone who works for an operating participant, that there is an advantage to bringing in other businesses to help sell goods and merch and food. Disney is best when providing entertainment. They don't need to be master chocolatiers or have they best concert venue or have the best circus act or have the nicest running merch. Right? Like let someone else with expertise in that area do that work for you. If you're worng on on a group project and there's someone. Your group that's awesome at making PowerPoints while you're really good at giving the presentation... That's what you do. Because that's what works best for you and everyone shows watching. Right?
As long as Disney Springs is a pleasant place to stroll around, that should make the average visitor happy. It looks just as promising as some of the recent choices added down the road. 'Cow Fish', anyone ??

flyakite

Hello...Happy Saturday

Just looking around the Internet and did a search on Kinetescape, the company that owns The Edison. Found information on a former business development manager listed on a professional resume listing site. His bio while at Kinetescape lists that he designed a business plan and closed the deal for Walt Disney World to open Walt's restaurant on property. Who knows if this is still in the plans. He left Kinetescope March of this year. However, "Walt's" was one of tenants listed on the leaked idea board.

flyerjab

So on top of Morimoto Asia, The Boathouse and the Hangar, the list of other potential restaurants is The Edison, STK, an Art Smith location and maybe a Walt's Restaurant (uncertain of this last one or maybe the last two are the same thing).

The Disney Springs concept was more of a curiosity as I am primarily interested in the happenings at DAK. I have to say though, seeing @WDWtraveler's awesome weekly pictorials, and the effort being put into rethinking this entire experience, I have to say that I am becoming more and more interested in this project as it moves along. And the list of new and potentially new food locations has really piqued my interest. The Boathouse with the amphicars and water taxi tours around the Springs sounds like something that will help distinguish this as a more unique experience.

Disney Springs doesn't need to be garishly Disney, it just needs some very subtle touches here and there. And that is what I am starting to see…and hoping to see more soon.

Last edited:

SirLink

Looking back at the original DS announcement it says that it would double the current offering, up to 150 establishments. Did we really think they were going to be able to find 75 or more shops/eateries that would appeal to enough people to be worth it, and had 0 Florida or Orlando presence?

I would imagine when you take out the shops attached to restaurants selling the unique venues branded products it will take a chunk of that total.

flyerjab

Are all of the recently rumored restaurant additions - STK, The Edison (which looks amazing by the way), Rick Bayless, Art Smith, Walt's Restaurant - all going in The Landing?

Just wondering considering that The Town Center really hasn't even been started yet.

Jon81uk

Are all of the recently rumored restaurant additions - STK, The Edison (which looks amazing by the way), Rick Bayless, Art Smith, Walt's Restaurant - all going in The Landing?

Just wondering considering that The Town Center really hasn't even been started yet.

I think The Town Centre will mainly be shopping, not many restaurants. Whereas The Landing will mainly be restaurants with a little shopping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom