Disney springs not doing so well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

But when on vacation do you want to go to a mall that has everything you can buy in your local mall? I mean aside from the fact that you might have forgotten something... as an entertainment option on your vacation, do you want to go to Old Navy or The Gap? I say No... I want unique experiences and things that I can't find anywhere else... If I forgot something, there are plenty of shopping options and department stores a quick Uber away...but the last thing I want my vacation to be is a trip to the Mall.

21stamps

But when on vacation do you want to go to a mall that has everything you can buy in your local mall? I mean aside from the fact that you might have forgotten something... as an entertainment option on your vacation, do you want to go to Old Navy or The Gap? I say No... I want unique experiences and things that I can't find anywhere else... If I forgot something, there are plenty of shopping options and department stores a quick Uber away...but the last thing I want my vacation to be is a trip to the Mall.
I wouldn't Uber or taxi to the Mall at Millenia if I was on vacation, but if I was someone from a city or town that didn't have the stores that Disney Springs has..and I was already there having dinner, then yeah, I would probably want to shop there.

After seeing the photos that wdwmagic posted of Anthropologie- I wish I could visit that store..even though I'm at the location by me pretty often lol.

I think a lot depends where you're from. I don't eat at Shula's or Rainforest Cafe while at Disney..because I want something different than what is already available to me. Both of those restaurants are still popular with WDW vacationers, bc not everyone has a location near them.

Look at City Place in WPB..it's always crowded with tourists, but really those stores can be found in most big cities.

Bocabear

I wouldn't Uber or taxi to the Mall at Millenia if I was on vacation, but if I was someone from a city or town that didn't have the stores that Disney Springs has..and I was already there having dinner, then yeah, I would probably want to shop there.

After seeing the photos that wdwmagic posted of Anthropologie- I wish I could visit that store..even though I'm at the location by me pretty often lol.

I think a lot depends where you're from. I don't eat at Shula's or Rainforest Cafe while at Disney..because I want something different than what is already available to me. Both of those restaurants are still popular with WDW vacationers, bc not everyone has a location near them.

Look at City Place at WPB..it's always crowded with tourists, but really those stores can be found in most big cities.
Yes...but Old Navy? The Gap? as people are suggesting? No thank you!

Malrora73

Personally I think now that they have revamped Disney Springs and we already have a lot of new restaurants I would like to see them replace Bongos and Wolfgang Puck with an entertainment media store similar to what Virgin was. That is one type of merchandise store they don't have anymore and I would like to see again. I feel like West Side is the entertainment side of the complex at least when it comes to entertainment you pay for, with AMC, Cirque, HOB, and Splitsville. If they are going to replace DisneyQuest with something I hope it is either a Broadway theatre or a Disney Imagineering Museum. I also think they could do the Tomorrowland Speedway in Disney Springs as a go cart attraction that yes they would charge for. Then they could use that area in MK for a Wonderland attraction siince it is right next to the Mad Tea Party. That's just me though. I just know go carts and dinner theatre shows are still popular in the Pigeon Forge area in TN so I think it could bring in some revenue.

21stamps

Yes...but Old Navy? The Gap? as people are suggesting? No thank you!

Oh I agree! The suggestions of Old Navy and Gap are crazy and I don't think it would ever happen. The list of stores that I have read are good..not too expensive. Main stream but not overly available to all-There's very few cities that have multiple locations of those stores. I don't think people should engrave their tombstones just yet.

The Empress Lilly

I dunno, I bet sales are pretty solid. Times Square as an abundance of those types of Brand stores, and they are always packed. I'd think it's the same sort of deal.
Actually, that's true. Maybe I am projecting. I don't have any need for anything Coca-Cola branded and it is beyond me why anybody would.

Somewhat comparable, at Piccadilly Circus there is a three-story M&M store. The place is always packed, there is a lengthy queue with tourists standing in line to buy M&M shirts and mugs and plush. I would say it is mental and that these people need psychological treatment, or at least a smidgen of good taste, but invariably someone will point out I regularly stand in line to buy Disney shirts and mugs and plush. :lookarou

raven

As a local I have to disagree. The unique stuff is great and I wish there was more of it (provided it's affordable). That said, some staples like an Old Navy, Apple store and even a book store would do well.

But since the rent is extremely high, more than likely they would raise their prices to offset that cost, as the others have done. It also seems that Disney wants unique, high-end stores that attract guests in a higher income bracket. I think this may be the #1 reason it might not be doing so well. Most guests visiting want to stroll around and shop in gift stores that sell special gifts they can get to remember their vacation, not clothing offered at most malls across the globe.

I feel like West Side is the entertainment side of the complex at least when it comes to entertainment you pay for, with AMC, Cirque, HOB, and Splitsville. If they are going to replace DisneyQuest with something I hope it is either a Broadway theatre or a Disney Imagineering Museum. I also think they could do the Tomorrowland Speedway in Disney Springs as a go cart attraction that yes they would charge for.

Wouldn't be a "Broadway" unless it's in the theatre district of NYC. ;) But I see your point.

As for go carts, no. That would cheapen the entire area. There's enough of that elsewhere all over Orlando as it is.

lentesta

Premium Member
Personally I think now that they have revamped Disney Springs and we already have a lot of new restaurants I would like to see them replace Bongos ...

I'm told that Bongos and Portobello have been given an "update in 2017 or leave" ultimatum. I think their respective contracts are up in May(?). From Disney's perspective, those places are sitting on some valuable real estate. And neither of them has the guest satisfaction ratings of the newer places.

aprincessatlasst

It's hard for retail shops to compete with the rise of Internet shopping. The last new shopping mall built in america was in 2007.

Where did you get that information? There was one built by us that opened last year. I will admit I was perplexed when they were building the mall by us but it was one of those newer styles with the open air/indoor mall mix. It is doing ok but I think like Disney Springs, the restaurants and entertainment vibe keeps it going.

21stamps

But since the rent is extremely high, more than likely they would raise their prices to offset that cost, as the others have done. It also seems that Disney wants unique, high-end stores that attract guests in a higher income bracket. I think this may be the #1 reason it might not be doing so well. Most guests visiting want to stroll around and shop in gift stores that sell special gifts they can get to remember their vacation, not clothing offered at most malls across the globe.

Wouldn't be a "Broadway" unless it's in the theatre district of NYC. ;) But I see your point.

As for go carts, no. That would cheapen the entire area. There's enough of that elsewhere all over Orlando as it is.

I haven't done a lengthy study, but I don't know of any retail chain stores who vary their pricing by location. The difference is the merchandise they offer- Macy's for example, there's different levels of their stores..which I didn't realize until I moved 3 years ago and happened to unfortunately go into a "level 3". Learned something new.lol.

If Disney Springs was trying to duplicate Worth Avenue, Bal Harbour, Rodeo Drive, or anything similar, then I would definitely think they would fail. That's not what they've done. They added stores who are already in most good malls.
Maybe they offer more or different merchandise at this location, I don't know first hand... But Under Armour came out with a Star Wars line last year, yet you don't see it in stores often, maybe DS has it. These companies aren't stupid.. They know the market they are in and they'll stock and adjust accordingly.

RyMickey

I'm told that Bongos and Portobello have been given an "update in 2017 or leave" ultimatum. I think their respective contracts are up in May(?). From Disney's perspective, those places are sitting on some valuable real estate. And neither of them has the guest satisfaction ratings of the newer places.

It seems that Portobello may be doing just that. I had breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express about a week ago and sat next to a cast member who works the little kiosks right out front of the soon-to-be Paddlefish and she said that soon after Paddlefish's opening, Portobello is closing down for a renovation. Nothing confirmed on this, but based on the posted ultimatum above, that seems to make sense. We'll see if Bongo's follows suit.

RyMickey

Maybe they offer more or different merchandise at this location, I don't know first hand... But Under Armour came out with a Star Wars line last year, yet you don't see it in stores often, maybe DS has it. These companies aren't stupid.. They know the market they are in and they'll stock and adjust accordingly.

The Disney Springs Under Armor location does have Star Wars-themed and Marvel-themed pieces. Not a ton, but maybe 6-8 combined between the two IPs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Its a shopping mall with a vague story of a cattle rancher who discovered a water source and settled there. Wow, *mind blown......NOT. It is absolutely beautiful in its design, just doesnt seem practical (IMO). And how many people claim that their kids get bored at a place like Epcot and they wind up skipping it, or spending very little time there. Would the same not apply to DS? If your kids are bored at Epcot, their gonna pull their hair out at DS.

Did Disney truly need a shopping mall? People keep saying that its convenient if you forget something at home. I forgot to bring my jacket on a trip in January once. So, I bought a jacket at HS for about $40, problem solved. I forgot the memory card for camera once, so I bought one in the AKL gift shop for $12, problem solved. I dont see any type of realistic scenario in which a person forgot something at home and seriously needs a place like Disney Springs to fix it. For locals, its perfect. I just dont see any appeal as an out of state traveler. Especially considering the amount of planning your forced to do ahead of time.

RyMickey

I always thought that stores in Disney Springs, while they'd love to make money there, were moreso there for brand recognition as others have stated. Similar to Times Square stores with their presumably astronomic rent, those stores are there simply for their name to be ingrained into the culture that visits. Is the M&M store or the Disney store or Sephora or L'Occitane really making back its money or is its place in Times Square simply meant to be name recognition. (I know first hand based on the company I work for that this is the case for us.)

To me, Disney Springs was always meant to be the same thing. Maybe that wasn't the intention of most of the stores, but I assumed that was always going to be the case.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Its a shopping mall with a vague story of a cattle rancher who discovered a water source and settled there. Wow, *mind blown......NOT. It is absolutely beautiful in its design, just doesnt seem practical (IMO). And how many people claim that their kids get bored at a place like Epcot and they wind up skipping it, or spending very little time there. Would the same not apply to DS? If your kids are bored at Epcot, their gonna pull their hair out at DS.

Did Disney truly need a shopping mall? People keep saying that its convenient if you forget something at home. I forgot to bring my jacket on a trip in January once. So, I bought a jacket at HS for about $40, problem solved. I forgot the memory card for camera once, so I bought one in the AKL gift shop for $12, problem solved. I dont see any type of realistic scenario in which a person forgot something at home and seriously needs a place like Disney Springs to fix it. For locals, its perfect. I just dont see any appeal as an out of state traveler. Especially considering the amount of planning your forced to do ahead of time.
Its really convenient when I forget to bring along my Raglan Road, Morrimotos, Wolfgang Puck, Ghirrodelli, Paradiso37, and Boathouse restaurants.

21stamps

The Disney Springs Under Armor location does have Star Wars-themed and Marvel-themed pieces. Not a ton, but maybe 6-8 combined between the two IPs.
Oh cool! I'm the type of mom who would be more likely to buy a SW Under Armor tee shirt instead of a character tee from a Disney store while one vacation...he would get more use out of it. He loves SW, and he loves Under Armor..would be a "smart buy" even over a toy. I.e the mr potato head that he's played with maybe once since that trip.lol

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Portobello is pretty terrible. Even more so when you realize it's terrible in comparison to Disney Italian restaurants. I'd take Mama Melrose over Portobello 100 out of 100 times.

Where did you get that information? There was one built by us that opened last year. I will admit I was perplexed when they were building the mall by us but it was one of those newer styles with the open air/indoor mall mix. It is doing ok but I think like Disney Springs, the restaurants and entertainment vibe keeps it going.

One opened by me a couple years ago too. 67% of stats are 79% false.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Portobello is pretty terrible. Even more so when you realize it's terrible in comparison to Disney Italian restaurants. I'd take Mama Melrose over Portobello 100 out of 100 times.

One opened by me a couple years ago too. 67% of stats are 79% false.
You forgot the decimal points. 87.00034% of statistical facts that are not taken out at least 4.17 decimal places are sometimes only occasionally partially correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom