Disney springs not doing so well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grotto123

Original Poster
Found out the Disney springs project isn't going as well as first thought. From sources that work there that there is quite a few stores struggling, even to the point laying off workers. Also expect a big push for Black Friday sales this year to help rejuvenate business. If the Christmas season doesn't bring in the foot traffic as hoped expect at the beginning of the new year a lot of stores to close. I'm curious is there anything Disney can do to bring people in .

ToTBellHop

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any solid evidence Disney Springs is doomed. I'm there at least once a week and its always bustling, even the Town Center and the Disney owned stores. Something isn't adding up. Of course I know large influxes of people doesn't equate to showstopping success, but still.
It does seem busy. Wonder what the rent is?

lazyboy97o

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any solid evidence Disney Springs is doomed. I'm there at least once a week and its always bustling, even the Town Center and the Disney owned stores. Something isn't adding up. Of course I know large influxes of people doesn't equate to showstopping success, but still.
People in the complex does not always equate to people in the venues spending enough money. Enough would be the key word as even the best performing stores in their chain could not be performing well enough to offset the high cost of being in Disney Springs. The stores are paying high rents and often a cut of their sales.

The Empress Lilly

I've only been there twice, but both times the place was bursting at the seams.

Or maybe that's because everybody was outside, listening to the entertainment and having drinks rather than inside spending in the shops.

ToTBellHop

I've only been there twice, but both times the place was bursting at the seams.

Or maybe that's because everybody was outside, listening to the entertainment and having drinks rather than inside spending in the shops.
Purely anecdotally, I find the restaurants to be far more crowded than the shops. Not surprising, since most of the new dining is excellent.

Grotto123

Original Poster
I'm not saying that it has its days but one or two days isn't enough to justify the rest of the week. Middle of the week it's like a ghost town but if you drive over to the premium outlets it's still busy. Disney has to incorporate some kind of Disney magic to make the people want to come, I think maybe bringing in so lower end named brand stores like an old navy for example will bring in the average joe to spend money.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I spent probably 8 afternoon/evengs there in the past three weeks. Weekends are horrendous crowded and they should be. Thats when the locals come out. During the week its not as crowded but not a ghost town by any means. There will be stores that wont make it. That happens at most new shopping venues. My guess there will be a few shutting down, but that does not mean the venue is a failure. I personally dont see the various sunglasses stores, expensive purse stores, and Ugg boot store making it. There are a few more clothing stores that I question as well as the Coke store. I dont see how it is successfull anywhere given the generic nature of what they are selling.

HurricaneHanna

If the Christmas season doesn't bring in the foot traffic as hoped expect at the beginning of the new year a lot of stores to close.

Can stores actually close so soon? I thought that all of the new stores and restaurants had to take five year leases.

Grotto123

Original Poster
Can stores actually close so soon? I thought that all of the new stores and restaurants had to take five year leases.
Yeah but I know some stores can sign performance leases specially for a new complex. Yeah some of the various glasses stores will close and probably some of the one off stores. To be honest I hope this works out well for Disney but I won't be surprised if a lot changes next year.

Bob Harlem

It's probably not just the shops, some of the restaurants too. My personal guesses are STK and Homecoming wll be the first to go. It'll take a few years though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's probably not just the shops, some of the restaurants too. My personal guesses are STK and Homecoming wll be the first to go. It'll take a few years though.
Homecoming didnt do much for me. Now i didnt have the deviled eggs and i was dining by myself and didnt want a full order, but for the price of the shrimp and grits I was disappointed.
I thought Paradiso37 was much better and actually ate there three out of eight visits.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The one clothing store I see doing well long term is UNIQLO
They had an impressive Mickey shirt and plush selection.
IMG_1688.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 81

Bolt

Whole of speculation - unless your friend is a finance manager, I doubt he knows the books of all of the non-Disney stores. This situation is brought up time and time again. Marketplace is what is slow.

WEDwaydatamover

Bolt- To the best of my knowledge the Marketplace/WOD are the busiest areas.

Are the House of Blues, Cirque du Soleil and Disney Quest pulling in unprecedented numbers that I'm not hearing about?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom