Disney Springs Mask Enforcement

Jon81uk

While I DO advocate for wearing a mask at all times in public and do so myself I am going to have to call you on this post. We all know full well that Disney CM's are not going to do anything about people not wearing a mask. They may approach a person and offer a free mask to them as a hint that they should wear one but that is it. No one is going to be asked to leave the parks and most of the people not wearing a mask will never even be approached by the CM's or supervisors. Or ANYONE at all. They have already proven their track record with the smoking and selfie-sticks issues. They are not going to be worried about a mask. Especially since the person refusing to wear the mask is probably someone ready to pick a fight over some perceived attack on their Constitutional rights.
A front-line CM may not remove you, but if you are significantly breaking rules and putting others at risk then security may get involved. It is possible they may ask people to leave the park.
Someone discreetly smoking where they shouldn't is unlikely to be noticed, but walking down main street chain smoking, or in the middle of a queueline is more likely to get noticed and you may be removed and I expect it is similar with masks. Keeping your distance from others while not wearing a mask you might get away with. But if you are politely asked and then kick off and start shouting expletives etc then I expect security will attend.

G00fyDad

A front-line CM may not remove you, but if you are significantly breaking rules and putting others at risk then security may get involved. It is possible they may ask people to leave the park.
Someone discreetly smoking where they shouldn't is unlikely to be noticed, but walking down main street chain smoking, or in the middle of a queueline is more likely to get noticed and you may be removed and I expect it is similar with masks. Keeping your distance from others while not wearing a mask you might get away with. But if you are politely asked and then kick off and start shouting expletives etc then I expect security will attend.

It's clear that we have two totally different experiences in the parks. I see people standing in line for attractions smoking and vaping, walking down Mainstreet USA smoking and vaping, etc. Nothing ever gets said to these people. Nothing. Not a ton of people but at least one a day when we go to the parks. I have zero faith that Disney will even approach these people not wearing a mask. I do agree that if Disney CM's (or security) were to approach a person and they started screaming or cursing then they'd be asked to leave but you have to get to that point first.

SpoiledBlueMilk

While I DO advocate for wearing a mask at all times in public and do so myself I am going to have to call you on this post. We all know full well that Disney CM's are not going to do anything about people not wearing a mask. They may approach a person and offer a free mask to them as a hint that they should wear one but that is it. No one is going to be asked to leave the parks and most of the people not wearing a mask will never even be approached by the CM's or supervisors. Or ANYONE at all. They have already proven their track record with the smoking and selfie-sticks issues. They are not going to be worried about a mask. Especially since the person refusing to wear the mask is probably someone ready to pick a fight over some perceived attack on their Constitutional rights.
Smoking is an inconvenience for other guests. Selfie sticks are also annoying. Neither are at the level of the current pandemic from an immediate public health perspective. From what I've seen covered on YouTube right now about the reopening, Disney isn't fooling around. They aren't spacing out hotel rooms, putting signage every few feet and initiating reduced park capacity only to have their CMs simply let things slide by inside the parks.

SpoiledBlueMilk

It's clear that we have two totally different experiences in the parks. I see people standing in line for attractions smoking and vaping, walking down Mainstreet USA smoking and vaping, etc. Nothing ever gets said to these people. Nothing. Not a ton of people but at least one a day when we go to the parks. I have zero faith that Disney will even approach these people not wearing a mask. I do agree that if Disney CM's (or security) were to approach a person and they started screaming or cursing then they'd be asked to leave but you have to get to that point first.
I guess I've never seen the volume of people smoking or vaping in the parks that you have - that is outside of Disneyland Paris - and I take notice as a smoker who gets very angry with people who break the rules. I don't know how else to put it other than this: COVID-19 isn't the same as mitigating smoking in the parks. This. is. different. It will require a different response from CMs. Remember, there will be special groups of CMs specifically working to ensure social distancing. I am confident they will also enforce the mask rule.

G00fyDad

Smoking is an inconvenience for other guests. Selfie sticks are also annoying. Neither are at the level of the current pandemic from an immediate public health perspective. From what I've seen covered on YouTube right now about the reopening, Disney isn't fooling around. They aren't spacing out hotel rooms, putting signage every few feet and initiating reduced park capacity only to have their CMs simply let things slide by inside the parks.

By your own admission smoking is a threat and masks are not. My point was that if Disney is not even going to bother stopping a person who is smoking where they shouldn't you can bet they won't stop a person not wearing a mask. I am saying this from the perspective of someone who cannot be around cigarette smoke and has gone to CM's about the behavior before with ZERO results. If they had frontline CM's approaching people without masks and telling them put the mask on or risk ejection from the park I'd be stunned. And they do not have enough higher role staff or security to do this.

Jon81uk

I don't think I've ever seen a large number of people smoking where they shouldn't be though, certainly I've not seen/smelt anyone doing it somewhere obvious.

G00fyDad

I am confident they will also enforce the mask rule.

It would take them reversing a long history of ignoring the behavior. The best I think they will do is to approach a person and give them a "complimentary" mask and ask them to wear it while in the parks. That person will either put it on or walk away and toss the mask in the trash. The CM will not pursue the issue further. And again, this is just my guess based on their past.

G00fyDad

I don't think I've ever seen a large number of people smoking where they shouldn't be though, certainly I've not seen/smelt anyone doing it somewhere obvious.

Didn't say a large group. In fact, I said at least one a day during our trips. And I am not talking about someone standing off to the side and out of the way but still outside the smoking areas. I am talking about in line, right outside the restroom doors, walking down the middle of Mainstreet USA, etc.

G00fyDad

I think it is pretty clear that others have some new found faith in Disney (that I do not share) to suddenly start enforcing rules. That is fine. We will see and if I am wrong then I will happily applaud Disney and eat crow. ;)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What "right"? There's something in the Bill of Rights about masks?
The Bill of Rights does not grant rights.

Nature (or God, if you prefer) grants rights. The Bill of Rights is an imperfect attempt made by flawed men to write some of them down. It is not intended to be comprehensive.

Jon81uk

Didn't say a large group. In fact, I said at least one a day during our trips. And I am not talking about someone standing off to the side and out of the way but still outside the smoking areas. I am talking about in line, right outside the restroom doors, walking down the middle of Mainstreet USA, etc.

I didn't say large group either, just large numbers of people. There might have been one outside the restroom, or someone just behind the bus shelter at the resort, but I don't think it was more than one person a day which is not a large amount.

However we do seem to have veered off topic quite significantly.

Club Cooloholic

Being at Disney Springs means Disney can tell you what to do. It doesn't mean some random pushy lady can tell you what to do.
Wait. Are you saying the pushy lady doesn't have the "right" to voice her opinion you are in clear violation of a rule? Sorry if I see someone just throw a pile of trash on the ground, public space or not, I am free to call them out on it. How is this different?

SpoiledBlueMilk

The Bill of Rights does not grant rights.

Nature (or God, if you prefer) grants rights. The Bill of Rights is an imperfect attempt made by flawed men to write some of them down. It is not intended to be comprehensive.

Absolutely correct
The whole discussion makes no sense. When you buy a ticket to enter a Disney park, you're rights and responsibilities are written out in the fine print. (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/). If you have an issue with them then don't go. It's private property. Florida is a concealed carry state. Does that mean Disney is violating my constitutional rights by denying my ability to carry a gun into the park? No. If they require you to wear a mask and you don't, do they have the right to deny your access to the park? Yes. No shirt, no shoes, no service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom