Disney Springs Mask Enforcement

bryanfze55

42,461 (UK) is much lower than 120,899 (US). You''re saying the UK has a higher rate than the US?

I’m truly shocked at the number of people here who don’t understand “rate.” Yes, the US has more deaths in total. Why wouldn’t we? We have almost 5 times the population that the UK has, yet we have just under 3 times the total COVID-19 deaths. You could also look at case fatality rate, in which the US is much better off than the UK, as well. In fact, the US has a lower death rate than most European countries outside Germany.

Chi84

Premium Member
They wouldn't know either. You can be contagious before showing any symptoms, pretty common with viruses in general. That's why people should wear the masks and what the CDC, WHO have been telling people for months. 🙄
Actually, until 15 days ago the WHO was not recommending masks for the general public. And in the updated document recommending masks, they list no fewer than 11 "potential harms/disadvantages" of the use of masks by healthy people in the general public.

People are talking about this issue as either/or. Either you believe mask wearing is effective and are on the side of the angels, or you question its effectiveness and are selfish, unintelligent, childish, etc. That's simply not the case. There are many people who wear masks because they are mandated by the government or businesses, but would like better information on their effectiveness in reality - not just in theory. It's true that universal mask-wearing was highly effective in reducing spread of the virus in Austria, but Austria also sent medical teams to the homes of people suspected of having the virus in order to test and contact trace.

I suspect that people are so frightened by this virus that they feel threatened by anyone who questions the effectiveness of any measure designed to stop it. One of the "potential benefits/advantages" of masks listed by the WHO is "making people feel they can play a role in contributing to stopping spread of the virus." It's human nature to be comforted by a feeling of control. That doesn't mean that it's okay to demonize people who ask questions or look deeply into the studies or articles that are being cited here.

There is a huge difference between people who do not follow the rules and people who follow the rules but question the reasons supporting them. The former is unacceptable - the latter is essential.

bryanfze55

Actually, until 15 days ago the WHO was not recommending masks for the general public. And in the updated document recommending masks, they list no fewer than 11 "potential harms/disadvantages" of the use of masks by healthy people in the general public.

People are talking about this issue as either/or. Either you believe mask wearing is effective and are on the side of the angels, or you question its effectiveness and are selfish, unintelligent, childish, etc. That's simply not the case. There are many people who wear masks because they are mandated by the government or businesses, but would like better information on their effectiveness in reality - not just in theory. It's true that universal mask-wearing was highly effective in reducing spread of the virus in Austria, but Austria also sent medical teams to the homes of people suspected of having the virus in order to test and contact trace.

I suspect that people are so frightened by this virus that they feel threatened by anyone who questions the effectiveness of any measure designed to stop it. One of the "potential benefits/advantages" of masks listed by the WHO is "making people feel they can play a role in contributing to stopping spread of the virus." It's human nature to be comforted by a feeling of control. That doesn't mean that it's okay to demonize people who ask questions or look deeply into the studies or articles that are being cited here.

There is a huge difference between people who do not follow the rules and people who follow the rules but question the reasons supporting them. The former is unacceptable - the latter is essential.

I still wear cloth masks in the off chance that they do work, as I don’t want to risk spreading it to anyone. And I’m not complaining about them. We went on a mini vacation last week, went to Silver Dollar City and the Wonders of Wildlife and wore a mask the whole time. Still had a lot of fun.

But you’re absolutely correct that the messaging around masks has been very poor. The WHO has reversed course many times. And the CDC has been a little better but not great. When they came out with the estimated total fatality rate of .26% in the US, people claimed the CDC had been politicized by the administration. But when it fits their agenda, the same people point to the CDC with credibility.

It shouldn’t have become politicized, but it is. Turn left for the folks who are anxious and high strung about everything, turn right for the folks who resist every little change. Sorry, not sorry 🤷‍♂️

Just read about the order. It’s not being enforced with fines. Mayor just asks for “voluntary compliance.” Masks are also only required when six feet of distance can’t be maintained. So looks like they can mostly be chin decorations.

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜

That makes sense. Thank you for going in depth. I do think and know there's a lot of fear mongering in general. The spread seems to come more from touching your face after exposure via things like door handles rather than inhaling droplets (as you'd need to be very close). Masks help prevent touching your face. Florida should have less issues with the virus due to the heat and humidity too but here we are.

There are those that frown down upon me going out still. I went to a beach without masks last week (was 20-30ft away from anyone else). I've flown 3x since March (work). Kinda have to weigh my options between debilitating seasonal depression if I don't go out and potentially getting coronavirus.

I don't believe it should be politicized either, I only care about the safety of others.

disney4life2008

It's a real feel of 95 degrees. First day of required masks in Orlando. And I can't take it. It's beyond hot and the mask makes it worse. And thus was in between me getting in and out my car and removing the mask. I can't imagine being at magic Kingdom in a 60 minute wait line in pure heat with a mask.

disney4life2008

Just read about the order. It’s not being enforced with fines. Mayor just asks for “voluntary compliance.” Masks are also only required when six feet of distance can’t be maintained. So looks like they can mostly be chin decorations.

Are you talking about here in Orlando? Its not a chin decoration. It's a mask. Many places i went to today wouldn't even let you in without full nose and mouth covering.

And yes it's being enforced. Of course, probably depends on the area of Orlando you live in its probably not.

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
It's a real feel of 95 degrees. First day of required masks in Orlando. And I can't take it. It's beyond hot and the mask makes it worse. And thus was in between me getting in and out my car and removing the mask. I can't imagine being at magic Kingdom in a 60 minute wait line in pure heat with a mask.
You definitely get more used to it over time. The first time I wore one my lungs were burning and I ended up having to stop after 30 min. A couple of days ago I went out and real feel was 97, I managed 4 hours comfortably.

I had to really work on my breathing because I breathe very shallowly normally. I have asthma and am morbidly obese, it's definitely a struggle at first.

The material can matter too - I have a lot of masks and there are some I absolutely can't wear because breathing in them is awful. I actually like the masks from universal, breathe the best in those.

Smiley/OCD

It’s not exactly pleasant walking around sweating inside a mask but yeah- I got used to it. And another model claiming something based on assumptions. Reading on my iPad so can’t see everything as clear but does it say what assumption they made on how much of general population is infectious walking around? Because I think most experts agree we aren’t going to get to even 60% of population infected and testing shows less than 10% with widespread testing, and that is catching the asymptomatic-where jury is still out on just how infectious they may be. I also can’t find if it differentiates between enclosed spaces, or outdoor spaces, or length of contact with a higher person in close quarters. I don’t think those factors are completely known yet- but good on the model for making assumptions

Well it’s impossible to be six feet away at all times. And the amount of people feeling “unsafe” because they saw someone 18’ away without a make, or a person walking through their “bubble” are ridiculous.
It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing approach-I agree it’s ridiculous walking around outside, especially when you are not going to be near same people for long, but sitting in enclosed space like a theater, or going into a shop? Mask on.
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is hard no matter the age.
There are studies on the effectiveness of homemade masks, materials etc. And on effectiveness if not worn properly or have gaps (very significant decline in containing airborne/suspended small particles) . Some materials/blends are quite good when worn properly. Neck gaiters with porous material are worthless. But hey- they catch large droplets when now apparently everybody goes around coughing without covering mouth! And you KNOW every single sneeze or cough now HAS to be laced with Covid
my mom (well first mom- long storyof childhood) had MS. Horrible disease and I hope there’s a breakthrough soon. Seems I read of a promising drug treatment coming soon? (provided everything didn’t get 100% pushed aside). Will see if I can find the article.
Thanks for the kind words...there's over two dozen drugs on the market (one was released this week), but unfortunately no blockbuster YET.

disney4life2008

You definitely get more used to it over time. The first time I wore one my lungs were burning and I ended up having to stop after 30 min. A couple of days ago I went out and real feel was 97, I managed 4 hours comfortably.

I had to really work on my breathing because I breathe very shallowly normally. I have asthma and am morbidly obese, it's definitely a struggle at first.

The material can matter too - I have a lot of masks and there are some I absolutely can't wear because breathing in them is awful. I actually like the masks from universal, breathe the best in those.

Yea I think it definitely depends on the mask. I may go to Disney and buy their masks.

Samthedog

I imagine that percentage will keep going down. people give in to peer pressure too easily. “ive seen 30 people not wearing one and they aren’t in trouble, why should I wear one” and the slippery slope begins.
I have to disagree I live here and the case have gone up bc more and more tourists are coming down here and from New York they where to self quarantine and do you really think they did for 14 days. Any place you go you see more and more New York plates. We where good went only the stores and fast food where open. So we the people who live here have to suffer bc everyone wants to come to Florida on vacation

Samthedog

From what I've been reading, people think these masks provide much, much more protection than they actually do. Even the agencies recommending them acknowledge that there is little proof of how much they help, and there are disadvantages to wearing them such as the risk of self-contamination by touching the mask without washing your hands (like constantly raising and lowering masks the way everyone is doing) or wearing a wet or soiled mask. They also can cause difficulty breathing, which may be a more immediate and realistic danger to a person in the Florida heat and humidity than catching Covid-19. I won't go to WDW while masks are required because (1) masks are too uncomfortable and (2) I don't think they do much at all to prevent people from spreading the virus. That said, if Disney has a rule, it should enforce it. My concern is that they will keep the rule and not enforce it instead of just abandoning masks based on their inability to enforce the rule.
Yup. People that’s don’t live here don’t get it. I see people the way they wear or take off there mask. You might as well not have one on . You are breathing on more germs for taking it off and on and touching it. I think marks should be worn if you want to if not that’s is your right. Plus the more and more tourists that come down here it will spread fast.

NelleBelle

Yup. People that’s don’t live here don’t get it. I see people the way they wear or take off there mask. You might as well not have one on . You are breathing on more germs for taking it off and on and touching it. I think marks should be worn if you want to if not that’s is your right. Plus the more and more tourists that come down here it will spread fast.
You don't have to live in "Florida" to see how people don't wear masks correctly 🙄 I've been in healthcare for nearly 20 years and have seen this happen. This happens everywhere. I don't happen to be for any of the Tri-states with the "travel ban" to FL, but I think currently, the rest of the states with their numbers going down should perhaps ban the "tourists" out of Florida since that seems to be the current hot spot in the country (no offense to other Floridians, just ones making offensive statements). You can't blame the increase in cases on NY.

Samthedog

You don't have to live in "Florida" to see how people don't wear masks correctly 🙄 I've been in healthcare for nearly 20 years and have seen this happen. This happens everywhere. I don't happen to be for any of the Tri-states with the "travel ban" to FL, but I think currently, the rest of the states with their numbers going down should perhaps ban the "tourists" out of Florida since that seems to be the current hot spot in the country (no offense to other Floridians, just ones making offensive statements). You can't blame the increase in cases on NY.
Absolutely the more people come down here the worse it’s getting and I see it all the time with the mask. People eating taking it off putting it on the table and then putting g it back on. I do t care either way I’m not the one that’s goin got call someone out for not having a mask on I just stay away. But we r annual pass holder and live just a few miles away. But our daughter who has Down syndrome will not wear one it’s bc of sensory is sure nothing on her face head or hands it’s not even about not being able to going to all the parks. But we can’t bc of this issue and someone said wrk with her if anyone knows someone with special needs it’s easier said then done.

Goofyernmost

That’s the whole point they want you to spend more money
That is no point at all. Again, they get about $6.00 for a couple of masks to go along with the requirement to wear one. The number of individuals that will not be going there until the need is gone amount to over $100.00 per day per person. That six bucks is not paying any bills except what they paid to have them made. Just a way to make money where none existed during the pandemic. And really blame NYers because your government opened things up to soon, is pretty lame. Florida could have kept them closed down, but, then Florida wouldn't have the income generated by those evil NYers. You are literally biting that hand that is feeding you.

Samthedog

That is no point at all. Again, they get about $6.00 for a couple of masks to go along with the requirement to wear one. The number of individuals that will not be going there until the need is gone amount to over $100.00 per day per person. That six bucks is not paying any bills except what they paid to have them made. Just a way to make money where none existed during the pandemic. And really blame NYers because your government opened things up to soon, is pretty lame. Florida could have kept them closed down, but, then Florida wouldn't have the income generated by those evil NYers. You are literally biting that hand that is feeding you.
I’m not worried about Disney making money they make enought trust me. And tourism is king down here and I feel
Sorry for the people that think they come down here to live and think they can make money. Well
You don’t down here. People buying house like crazy. And they think working for Disney is making money. That’s why some live in there cars. I wish things where still
Closed it was much better before everyone had to come down to go to the parks and beaches. And yes I like my republican governor my e New York should of had a travel band

ElvisMickey

July and August are about to kick in and those of us who live here know that they’re the two most brutal months weather wise of the year. Between the mask requirement and restrictions on when you can or can’t go, etc., I’m more than likely going to be canceling my AP until all of this is over. I’m happy with my Tables In Wonderland and a breakfast at The Wave once in a while to get my Disney fix.

Samthedog

July and August are about to kick in and those of us who live here know that they’re the two most brutal months weather wise of the year. Between the mask requirement and restrictions on when you can or can’t go, etc., I’m more than likely going to be canceling my AP until all of this is over. I’m happy with my Tables In Wonderland and a breakfast at The Wave once in a while to get my Disney fix.
For sure. We only just started with the heat. I think I’m done also. My passes expire in oct. But I don’t see going anytime soon. I will not wear a mask in this hot weather. And the people would say they will. Good luck

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom