Disney Springs Mask Enforcement

lazyboy97o

I really donā€™t understand why we (businesses, the government) canā€™t just devote resources to making and distributing N95s to people who want them. Then all of this ā€œOthers have a responsibility to protect meā€ goes away. People who want protection can wear the N95s, taking the responsibility off of strangers (and removing the anger and division this mask issue is causing). It also would mean that those who want protection can get it from a reliable product rather than some crafter on Etsy or some homemade thin, porous material that is probably useless anyway.

Neither Disney CMs nor any employees should have to be in the business of enforcing the wearing of something people donā€™t want to wear. They are supposed to be welcoming and friendly, and mask enforcement is neither welcoming nor friendly. It just creates tension.

Anyone know what is the reason behind not being able to produce enough effective masks? I get why we didnā€™t have enough in April, but weā€™ve had several months now. I think if some business would mass produce the N95 masks and make them available to those who want them, then so much of this crazy controversy would go away.

N95s for those who want them. Everyone has a choice. Problem solved.
The mask recommendation, social distancing, self isolating and quarantining are all about keep the virus contained as much as possible to the infected individual. The efficacy of N95 masks is dependent on much more precise fitting and use than the simple task of everybody wearing a face covering and maintaining some distance. Even with protective equipment and training, healthcare workers continue to get sick because of exposure. Stopping people from sharing the virus is more effective than people trying to keep it away.

The mask recommendation, social distancing, self isolating and quarantining are all about keep the virus contained as much as possible to the infected individual. The efficacy of N95 masks is dependent on much more precise fitting and use than the simple task of everybody wearing a face covering and maintaining some distance. Even with protective equipment and training, healthcare workers continue to get sick because of exposure. Stopping people from sharing the virus is more effective than people trying to keep it away.
Maybe thatā€™s the idea, but as we know from experience, many people arenā€™t complying with the mask requirement. Mask compliance requires a collective mentality- that we are somehow responsible for everyone else. A lot of people disagree with that mentality and will not comply without force- which I hope we all can agree, is a bad idea (a lot of people have also been advised by doctors that wearing a homemade mask can actually cause them to touch their face more often and to ignore social distancing, which can increase their chances of getting the virus, while others canā€™t wear them due to disabilities).

I really think the answer is to design a mask that is somewhat effective (I get that no mask is fully effective- even medical masks, and especially masks made out of a sock that even the experts say may at most block 30% of particles) against outside particles so those who want to protect themselves can take responsibility for themselves and not be angry and stressed all the time because others are choosing not to wear masks.

Walt Disney1955

Wow - great news.
I know the efficacy and proper use of masks is always a debate - - - but it's something.

They aren't good for you. You are not meant to wear a mask for long periods of time. It isn't natural. The sun and fresh air is natural.

Oh, I was. Funny, will you look at me the same way in four months when Disney is still trying to enforce it against an unrelenting public? I use the word enforce in the silliest way possible.

I think it is crazy now, would have in March, will in October. So yeah. You print on the back of the ticket the same thing you print at a baseball game, that there are risks (flying balls at a ball game) that you are assumed to be taking by attending. Same thing at a Disney park and you are good to go. Some might still wear masks, and you can make it optional, but you let people who pay taxes and work hard all week decide for themselves. We take risks everyday by driving cars, but we can't be within 6 feet of another person? Hmmmm.

G00fyDad

If you don't want to wear a mask, tell them that you are a "protester". That might work.

That might not work as well as you imagined. Protesters (for the most part) ARE wearing masks. Of course there are those that aren't but most are.

BLM.jpg

Lilofan

View attachment 477620
Here's one, actually from Orlando. Lot of people with no mask, or mask pulled aside. Everybody within the hallowed 6 foot zone of death. I wonder if O.C. mayor Demings has put 2 and 2 together yet on what caused the spike he's seen in the last 10 days??
Of course the Mayor has. He gave the order starting this weekend that face masks are mandatory in public areas of Orange County.

Jon81uk

They aren't good for you. You are not meant to wear a mask for long periods of time. It isn't natural. The sun and fresh air is natural.

Then be thankful you weren't living in Spain where they had a very strict lockdown and you could not leave your home for around a month except to purchase food. In comparison the USA has very lax restrictions and you have more access to sun and fresh air than many countries allowed.

Although of course the less restrictive lockdown also explains why the US has so many cases.

G00fyDad

Sure, but then you cherry-picked a photo of a protest somewhere undoubtedly hundreds/thousands of miles away from here in the Orlando area, one of the few you'll find with so many masked protestor faces, and then you failed to mention entirely the lack of "social distancing", which has been the mantra of the pro-virus crowd from the outset. Give me a break.

No. I grabbed the first one I found. I never said ALL protesters wear masks. Exactly the opposite as a matter of fact. But yeah, you have a break given. ;)

NickMaio

I think it is crazy now, would have in March, will in October. So yeah. You print on the back of the ticket the same thing you print at a baseball game, that there are risks (flying balls at a ball game) that you are assumed to be taking by attending. Same thing at a Disney park and you are good to go. Some might still wear masks, and you can make it optional, but you let people who pay taxes and work hard all week decide for themselves. We take risks everyday by driving cars, but we can't be within 6 feet of another person? Hmmmm.
I never said it was good for you.
I said its something, especially since covid numbers are jumping up even before WDW opens up.

Personally I think opening up that many states was a HUGE mistake...but hey what do I know.

If you have covid and dont have symptoms yet, wearing a mask properly is better than not. Period. Thus slowing the spread if this havoc wreaking virus that has traversed the planet in mere weeks.

NickMaio

Then be thankful you weren't living in Spain where they had a very strict lockdown and you could not leave your home for around a month except to purchase food. In comparison the USA has very lax restrictions and you have more access to sun and fresh air than many countries allowed.

Although of course the less restrictive lockdown also explains why the US has so many cases.
That us exactly why cases have exploded in the US.
Well there are other reasons but I'm not opening up that can of yellow worms.šŸ˜†

NickMaio

As a side note, my wife is a nurse and wears two masks per shift. 1 for every 6 hours.
You can wear them.........outside in the heat poses extra challenges.
I think the mask order is also to prevent vacationers who wont come because of the mask order.
I still think it's great, even for that reason alone.

mergatroid

Tim Tracker saying the vast majority of people in Disney Springs are wearing masks and social distancing now unlike at Busch Gardens and Sea World.

G00fyDad

Wrong again. You said ā€œfor the most partā€, which means the majority. The opposite of ALL is NONE, not ā€œmostā€. Revisionist history much? And can you address the total 100% observable lack of ā€œsocial distancingā€? Or is that not also important?

The obvious conclusion anyone with boots on the ground here in the OC (like me) would draw is that this Mayor Demings ā€œspikeā€ MUST have been largely influenced by the total disregard for any preventative measures by the raging left. If anything, during the last 10 days, Iā€™ve seen even more compliance among the population at large than before. So please do not try to tell me that protestors ā€œfor the most partā€ are complying.

Jesus! I am not going to debate the use of masks with you. I made a comment in response to your snarky comment about protesters. You said that if the person did not want to wear a mask then they should just tell them they are a protester inferring that protesters do not wear masks. I'm done. Pick a fight with someone that actually cares if you pick part of a comment out, twist it up, put it back together again and then toss it at the person trying to get a rise out of them. I have too much work to do today to get wrapped up in someone else's personal issues and desire for a fight. Have a nice day! :rolleyes: šŸ‘

Astrotrain

ā—āŠ”_āŠ”ā—œ

Wearing a 6in by 3in mask isn't interfering with your ability to get sun.

Paying taxes doesn't entitle you to be able to expose a bunch of people to a potentially deadly virus.

Get over yourself. You're not special because you work and pay taxes. Millions of other Americans do too and aren't complaining about showing respect to others by wearing one.

It's like saying "I refuse to wash my hands after using the bathroom" if you work in the food industry. Sure, not everyone will get sick, but you don't want someone who just had their hand in a toilet messing with your food.

Remember: it's not FOR YOU. You wear masks to protect others from you. People can be asymptomatic and people are also contagious before showing symptoms. Everyone complaining seems to think the world revolves around them. No, it doesn't.

When you come to the parks you're around hundreds of thousands of other people. You interact with CM's who want to make YOUR visit special and good. But screw them, right? Why should you care about them getting sick because you can't be bothered? Please, if you're not going to wear a mask and it's required, don't come.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom