Disney Springs Mask Enforcement

NickMaio

Masks don't exclude kids. My kids are fine with the masks on, they're 6 and 8. Plenty of kids properly wearing masks at universal enjoying themselves too.

Covid isn't a joke. My mother died from it - her blood thickened and she had multiple strokes, horrible neurological damage. All caused by covid. She was in her 50's and was otherwise healthy and active.

If you don't want to wear it than don't, but don't come to places where it's MANDATORY and then complain about people being too uptight about the guidelines. They're there for a reason. If you want to vacation without a mask I'm sure there are plenty of other places you can go. 🤷
My deepest condolences.

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
The mask requirement may not exclude your kids, but surely you understand that your kids are not just exactly like all other kids in the country, right? Have you seen all the comments from parents that their kids cannot tolerate masks? Have you listened to them? Or have you just dismissed everyone who does not have the exact same experience as you do as selfish whiners?

I really don't think you would see a kid in a wheelchair and think, "My kids don't need a wheelchair. So no one else's kids should need a wheelchair, either." At least, I hope you wouldn't do that. You have been educated that there are kids who are different from your kids who have different needs than your kids.

Somehow people totally ignore the knowledge that people are different when it comes to masks. We get it with most other things in life, but with masks, maybe because they are so new, we want those differences to disappear. There truly are a lot of people who cannot tolerate them for various reasons- from asthma to other breathing issues to sensory issues to anxiety to claustrophobia to PTSD. And here is where someone jumps in and says, "Well I have asthma and I can tolerate them so everyone with asthma should be able to tolerate them," or "Well I have a child with sensory issues and he can tolerate them so everyone should be able to tolerate them." We really need to step back and realize that our disabilities and differences don't go away in times of pandemic- and that others don't respond to things the same way we do.
Many people have underlying conditions or things that make it more difficult to wear a mask. I'm autistic with SPD, asthma, and have severe lung damage that occurred when I was a child due to chemical burns. My youngest has asthma and SPD. My oldest is just a normal spazz and ironically he has the most difficulty with keeping his mask on.

I have to sit down frequently and help teach my kids how to breathe more mindfully. I have to work with myself on taking deeper breaths. I want to go out too, and if that requires masks I'll do it to keep myself and others safe.

It's not a walk in the park and can take a conscious effort. You shouldn't assume everyone has it easy because they're actually following guidelines. You're right, our "disabilities" and conditions don't go away because of the pandemic. That's why we adjust and take the time to learn how to keep ourselves safe.

All that to say - I'm not dismissing those that have problems which make things more difficult. I know there are those who can't wear masks at all. That doesn't mean masks should stop being a requirement - they're a requirement to keep you and your family safe, to keep my family safe. Many kids can and do wear masks successfully. For those who can't a theme park is likely not safe for them right now as the risk of exposure is going to be much greater. Disney can't cater to that small set of people unable to adhere to guidelines right now without risking the health of the millions who can.

Do what's safe for you. Your assumption that I was being dismissive and thinking of others as selfish is harmful and does nothing to help the current situation. I'm in fact doing the opposite by trying to ensure the safety of people in the parks, this includes the CM's who are terrified of going back to work due to the risk. I know because I live in a complex with hundreds of CM's. They don't have a choice because they need to work to survive, but you do.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

The virus isn't fake, there is a flu-like virus that is out there that has not come in the same universe that they predicted. It is the reaction that is a scam. You'll survive if you walk around without a mask. Eventually this will wear thin and companies will just eventually brush it aside. Because Disney doesn't want "social distancing" in a theme park anymore than I do. If I had this conversation with you in February that we ought to have social distancing at Splash Mountain lines you'd have had me committed to a mental institution.....................and you'd have been right.

Wait, I mentioned social distancing at Splash Mountain in February and was told to be committed. Hmm.

Smiley/OCD

OK, my two, well maybe, fifty cents...first off, my heart goes out to EVERY family that has lost a loved one due to COVID...a friend lost their mom in a nursing home due to it. As an earlier writer said, it is a shame that more family members don't visit their loved ones in nursing homes...my dad was in an excellent rehab facility when he broke his femur a few years ago, and the staff said that was one of their biggest "beefs", that in many, not all cases, children put their parents in there and just "forget" all about them. I saw it first hand, because I was able to visit him every day and was his primary caretaker. I had numerous conversations with patients I didn't know, just to give them a sense of self worth. It really IS a sin that in many cases, the "kids" are more interested in spending their parents money before they're even dead than they are about visiting them, but that IS a reality in some instances. It was heartbreaking to see the tears in some of their eyes having not seen their families in a VERY long time. I believe that we will ALL have to answer for what we did or didn't do...it may not be tomorrow, next month or in 20 years, but it's coming.

As far as the whole COVID situation goes, I live in NJ, one of the "hot spots" of the pandemic....this next statement was told to me, believe it if you wish, but I have a life long friend that is an RN in the ICU of one of the largest hospitals in NJ...they were given STRICT orders that ANYONE who has a respiratory illness or ANY condition that could be connected to COVID had to be classified as positive. Why do you ask? Because the state gets more federal funding for COVID related cases/deaths. Our Governor, Phil Murphy, and the Governor of NY, Andrew Cuomo, forced long term care facilities to accept positive COVID cases and the virus spread like wildfire. Almost HALF of the deaths in these 2 states occurred in those facilities. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you put sick people in an enclosed area with immuno suppressed patients, the result won't be good. Murphy essentially shut the whole state down, forced everyone to wear masks, but when he appeared at demonstrations earlier this month, NEVER socially distanced himself...double standard? You be the judge. When the dust finally settles, I think we will find out that many cases were preventable by our elected officials. Again, they will have to answer for it. All of those 70,000 ventilators Cuomo screamed about? NOT needed...The hospital ship Comfort that was sent to NY? It departed earlier than expected, having handled less than 200 patients total. Will there be a resurgence? ABSOLUTELY, but what no official or doctor is telling the public is, EVERYONE secluded in their homes for the past 3 months have suppressed immune systems BECAUSE they haven't been outside. I've already seen stories about anti-vaxxers that will refuse to immunize themselves or their children when/if an effective vaccine becomes available. Some things in this world will NEVER change.

I have MS, and the medicine I'm on leaves me immuno compromised. Personally, I'm more concerned about having to give up driving and being forced into a wheelchair in the near future...THAT, I think about constantly. I still drive, shop with a mask (because I'm forced to) by the state. I take my vitamins and hope and pray for the best. I handle money, touch counters and don't use hand sanitizers nearly enough (so my wife says), but I think I have a good immune system BECAUSE I venture into the outside world.

My wife and I have a second Disneymoon scheduled for the first week in December...we had a family vacation to Disney cancelled twice this year. I don't know, because of my daughters future college schedules, if we will ever be able to visit as a family again, but we will try like hell to make it happen. I have discussed this with my wife many times, that if masks are still REQUIRED and no parades, fireworks, etc., I really don't know if I want to return this year. We will have waited 27 years...what's one more? Hopefully, I will still be able to enjoy it. I don't know how much "quality" time I have left, but I'm NOT going to finish it out as a shut-in if I have anything to do or say about it...

I HOPE and PRAY that everyone stays safe!!! I'll get off my soapbox now...

mergatroid

Nice to see there are a good number of great compassionate people on here as well. Let's all hope a cure is found soon and take a moment to remember those not as lucky as ourselves.

NL1019

So, I went to Disney Springs yesterday and didn’t feel fully safe. All the cast members I saw were wearing masks, but there was a lot of guests not wearing them and I didn’t see any cast members enforcing mask wearing. I felt safe around cast members but not other guests. I’d expect Disney to enforce this but I don’t know if they fully are. Anyone else notice this? I attached some pics.
You shouldn’t go if you’re this afraid. Unfair to Disney for anyone to expect to they play the mask police it’s not feasible or realistic.

juniorthomas

So, I went to Disney Springs yesterday and didn’t feel fully safe. All the cast members I saw were wearing masks, but there was a lot of guests not wearing them and I didn’t see any cast members enforcing mask wearing. I felt safe around cast members but not other guests. I’d expect Disney to enforce this but I don’t know if they fully are. Anyone else notice this? I attached some pics.
People everywhere are hit and miss with masks. Unfortunately, all you can do is take care of yourself and try to be as safe as possible.

timsyr

You should not be going to Disney Springs or any other public place if you feel unsafe around people who aren't wearing masks.

(This is not a defense against people who aren't wearing masks. I personally think masks are stupid, but if a place has a mask policy, you should follow the rules or just not go.)
personally -- i don't understand the urgency to mingle with the public - do they play Kenny Rogers the gambler on continuous loop as well
seek addiction counseling -- disney the new crack/cocaine

SetterFan

And it's just like the flu lol!! Oh brother!! :rolleyes:
Check your CDC stats! The ”normal,” yearly flu killed 36,400-61,200+ lives last year (2018-19) in the USA alone with 37.4-42.9 million getting the flu and 531,000-647,000 hospitalized - and that’s with a vaccine. And no big deal is ever made of that. And interestingly enough, this flu season (2019-2020) it may be hard to track since some of the flu folks may get incorporated in with the COVID folks - who knows?! We’ll have to wait for the final stats to be posted.

Chi84

Premium Member
Unfair to Disney to have guests visit when masks are required and not follow the rules.
I agree 100%. It's unfair to everyone - those who believe masks are effective and feel unsafe when the rule is ignored, as well as those who don't think masks are all that effective but comply because it's Disney's right to adopt the rule. As always, the rule-breakers ruin the experience for everyone.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney has never been good at enforcing anything. It goes against their thought process that making guests happy so they will come back is important at all costs. I don't see this issue being any different.
They’re not good at enforcing guest experience rules, but they are good at enforcing safety rules. As I said earlier, their degree of enforcement is going to depend on whether a violation is seen more as a “no sitting on the handrails” violation or a “no standing up on a roller coaster” violation. My hope is that they either enforce it or abandon it so everyone will have full information on where they stand. Letting people get away with not complying is unfair to everyone.

I really don’t understand why we (businesses, the government) can’t just devote resources to making and distributing N95s to people who want them. Then all of this “Others have a responsibility to protect me” goes away. People who want protection can wear the N95s, taking the responsibility off of strangers (and removing the anger and division this mask issue is causing). It also would mean that those who want protection can get it from a reliable product rather than some crafter on Etsy or some homemade thin, porous material that is probably useless anyway.

Neither Disney CMs nor any employees should have to be in the business of enforcing the wearing of something people don’t want to wear. They are supposed to be welcoming and friendly, and mask enforcement is neither welcoming nor friendly. It just creates tension.

Anyone know what is the reason behind not being able to produce enough effective masks? I get why we didn’t have enough in April, but we’ve had several months now. I think if some business would mass produce the N95 masks and make them available to those who want them, then so much of this crazy controversy would go away.

N95s for those who want them. Everyone has a choice. Problem solved.

Prince-1

Check your CDC stats! The ”normal,” yearly flu killed 36,400-61,200+ lives last year (2018-19) in the USA alone with 37.4-42.9 million getting the flu and 531,000-647,000 hospitalized - and that’s with a vaccine. And no big deal is ever made of that. And interestingly enough, this flu season (2019-2020) it may be hard to track since some of the flu folks may get incorporated in with the COVID folks - who knows?! We’ll have to wait for the final stats to be posted.

Like I said, oh brother. 🙄

BuddyThomas

From what I've been reading, people think these masks provide much, much more protection than they actually do. Even the agencies recommending them acknowledge that there is little proof of how much they help, and there are disadvantages to wearing them such as the risk of self-contamination by touching the mask without washing your hands (like constantly raising and lowering masks the way everyone is doing) or wearing a wet or soiled mask. They also can cause difficulty breathing, which may be a more immediate and realistic danger to a person in the Florida heat and humidity than catching Covid-19. I won't go to WDW while masks are required because (1) masks are too uncomfortable and (2) I don't think they do much at all to prevent people from spreading the virus. That said, if Disney has a rule, it should enforce it. My concern is that they will keep the rule and not enforce it instead of just abandoning masks based on their inability to enforce the rule.

Chi84

Premium Member
The test was done with bacteria, not virus. That's even worse than trying to use the N95 results to demonstrate the effectiveness of cloth masks. More importantly, now that the Today show has weighed in, what does Oprah say?

Basically, that video suggests that an infected person wearing a cloth mask can cough into your face from a distance of one foot and you would be protected. No wonder some people think the masks are so highly effective!

Last edited:

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
I'll just go ahead and toss this up here

Attachments

• 20200617_193856.jpg
    20200617_193856.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 120

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom