Disney Springs - Didn't like it

squidward

Original Poster
Just back from a quick trip to WDW. Went to see DS for 1st time. Marketplace is still fine, but as for the rest, I wasn't impressed. Hated the garages. Ugly. The buildings in the Landing are aestetically nice looking, but the shops are WAY too expensive, there's very little room to move, and it's just "too busy". The brick building that houses the new Bakery and hat shop is just not placed well. I like that there are musicians, but there are too many. It was too noisy. Back to the shops, they simply aren't interesting. Just high end mall shops. Maybe once it's done, I'll change my mind, but for now, no desire to go back.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just back from a quick trip to WDW. Went to see DS for 1st time. Marketplace is still fine, but as for the rest, I wasn't impressed. Hated the garages. Ugly. The buildings in the Landing are aestetically nice looking, but the shops are WAY too expensive, there's very little room to move, and it's just "too busy". The brick building that houses the new Bakery and hat shop is just not placed well. I like that there are musicians, but there are too many. It was too noisy. Back to the shops, they simply aren't interesting. Just high end mall shops. Maybe once it's done, I'll change my mind, but for now, no desire to go back.

Last May, I walked through the Disney Springs area. The design of the buildings was very attractive, as you pointed out. (There was still a lot of construction work going on when I visited, so I assume more shops are open now.)

I also share your impression that the new shops appear to be more upscale. However, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing, as I think there needs to be a variety of shopping options that would cater to guests of various financial means. For example, in my own situation, I'd be more likely to make a purchase in one of the more traditional, Disney-themed shops in the original Marketplace end, such as the World of Disney, or the Disney Christmas shop; yet, I wouldn't mind "window shopping" in Disney Springs.

In conclusion, I think the dilemma that Disney faces is the challenge of presenting a new, updated shopping and dining experience (that some guests really want), while, at the same time, trying to balance the nostalgia aspect, for other guests. Think I'll hold off my final decision, until I can see the completed new area.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Me and DH really like all the changes and were there a month ago. Can't wait for it to be all complete. :)

SeanWM48

Downtown has always been a big favorite of mine and i'm reallllll curious to see it semi-finished in the Fall of '16 (have not been since '14). In '14 it was construction heavy.

I was a fan of the previous setup, like back in '12 when they had Captain Jack's margarita bar and some remaining elements of Paradise Island. I guess those were part of the "older crowd" vibe that they are trying to tone down.

Will definitely give Springs a fair chance though. One thing about OP's comment about high-end shops - I don't mind that. There are enough alternatives at the parks and resorts. I look forward to seeing some cool stuff even if just for window shopping purposes.

toolsnspools

Will definitely give Springs a fair chance though. One thing about OP's comment about high-end shops - I don't mind that. There are enough alternatives at the parks and resorts. I look forward to seeing some cool stuff even if just for window shopping purposes.
I always do more window shopping than anything else at DTD. I almost always fly there so that alone limits my buying ability. I think the biggest thing I've brought home was an RC car for my son, and it had to become his carry-on for the trip home. The next trip will definitely involve a trip to Art of Shaving, for my son and me. How times have changed...

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I always do more window shopping than anything else at DTD. I almost always fly there so that alone limits my buying ability. I think the biggest thing I've brought home was an RC car for my son, and it had to become his carry-on for the trip home. The next trip will definitely involve a trip to Art of Shaving, for my son and me. How times have changed...

They even have the special Art of Shaving Barber Shop attached to the store at Disney Springs. Really cool because not all of the Art of Shaving Stores have one attached at each location. :)

Bolt

Last May, I walked through the Disney Springs area. The design of the buildings was very attractive, as you pointed out. (There was still a lot of construction work going on when I visited, so I assume more shops are open now.)

I also share your impression that the new shops appear to be more upscale. However, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing, as I think there needs to be a variety of shopping options that would cater to guests of various financial means. For example, in my own situation, I'd be more likely to make a purchase in one of the more traditional, Disney-themed shops in the original Marketplace end, such as the World of Disney, or the Disney Christmas shop; yet, I wouldn't mind "window shopping" in Disney Springs.

In conclusion, I think the dilemma that Disney faces is the challenge of presenting a new, updated shopping and dining experience (that some guests really want), while, at the same time, trying to balance the nostalgia aspect, for other guests. Think I'll hold off my final decision, until I can see the completed new area.
You really did see much of a new Disney Springs either, only 8 new shops and 3 restaurants/bars have been added so far. Still close to 50 new things coming.

squidward

Original Poster
They even have the special Art of Shaving Barber Shop attached to the store at Disney Springs. Really cool because not all of the Art of Shaving Stores have one attached at each location. :)

That store was kind of cool. Neat little set-up. There definitely seem to be a lot of nice restaurants, but they also seem upscale. Not sure how good they'll be with kids. I guess I'm more of a touristy type of guy who likes cheap themes. Give me Rainforest, T-Rex, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock or Bubba Gump any day.

Jon81uk

That store was kind of cool. Neat little set-up. There definitely seem to be a lot of nice restaurants, but they also seem upscale. Not sure how good they'll be with kids. I guess I'm more of a touristy type of guy who likes cheap themes. Give me Rainforest, T-Rex, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock or Bubba Gump any day.

To be fair, the majority of restaurants in the old Downtown Disney were of that type, Splitsville, Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, Planet Hollywood, Wolfgang Puck. The new restaurants added some upscale offerings, replacing nightclubs, the old casual dining places are still there. Plus once the Town Center there will be new casual and quick service dining.
Also as far as we know the Town Center will have a mix of high street (Zara, Uni Qlo) and high end (Shore) retail. But there won't be anything cheap from what we can tell.

Personally as a tourist coming over from UK, we'll take a look round Disney Springs, but I see the majority of our shopping being at Premium Outlets or Florida Mall. Other than World of Coke, most of the brands at DS are in London.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom