Disney Springs construction begins

mm121

Its one of the primary reasons we no longer have the Skyway. :(
I thought the primary reason for the demise of the Skyway was maintenance, not people throwing things or falling off.

Did anyone fall off during its time of operation? That excuse just sounds like lawyer fearmongering

G00fyDad

I thought the primary reason for the demise of the Skyway was maintenance, not people throwing things or falling off.

Did anyone fall off during its time of operation? That excuse just sounds like lawyer fearmongering

First, I never said anybody fell off of it. I was referencing the comment about people throwing things from it.

Second, I said ONE of the primary reasons. Not THE primary reason.
:)

I think there were several reasons. The skyline from what I understood would not have any cast members on the second story. That could lead to several problems, such as falls, food, or lightning.

It may seem silly...but when you have close to 10000 people coming through a day...unusual things are the norm.

lazyboy97o

I think there were several reasons. The skyline from what I understood would not have any cast members on the second story. That could lead to several problems, such as falls, food, or lightning.

It may seem silly...but when you have close to 10000 people coming through a day...unusual things are the norm.
There are multistory malls all over the country. The actual High Line sees millions of people per year. Are people constantly falling off the upper level of CityWalk up the road?

There are multistory malls all over the country. The actual High Line sees millions of people per year. Are people constantly falling off the upper level of CityWalk up the road?

Those multi-story and City Walk have personnel precisely to keep an eye out for things like this, and choose to have those multistories because it makes them money due to commerce. DIsney's plans did not include the commerce angle and probably decided it just wasn't worth the risk, however small. Naturally this could change if Disney decides it would be wise to support commerce.

Brushing around sources, I also recently learned the elevator was a nightmare to set up which didn't help things...but I can't get a good answer as to how.

Next Big Thing

New concept art on the walls... Here's what the former Adventurer's Club building will look like:
B243fUNCYAIGl7T.jpg

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Nov 20. View of construction area from Planet Hollywood.

IMG_3932.JPG

The other side of Planet Hollywood, looking towards the original bridge from Pleasure Island to West Side. The length of the bridge is covered with panels to hide the ongoing construction when this bridge is open later in Nov to guests. The sand area in the foreground will be the bottom of the Springs River.

IMG_3934.JPG

The "uphill" street into Disney Springs from the deck of Paradiso 37. Since just a few days ago, these trees have appeared. A new construction wall is in place just beyond the one in the foreground that will guide guests along the left side of this street. Construction is ongoing between these walls.

IMG_3936.JPG

From the "left" side of this street looking towards the Paradiso 37 outdoor deck, you can see the new construction wall and the recently planted trees.

IMG_3937.JPG

An "over-the-wall" view on the "uphill" street indicates the "left" side of the street will be open for guests, but the right side is still under construction. A partial construction wall is now in place in the center background of the photo.

IMG_3935.JPG

mm121

Photo update as of Thursday, Nov 20. View of construction area from Planet Hollywood.

View attachment 74568

its too bad they aren't buildig something where that big service court is over by the escalators,
an imax prehaps could be be built on level two

which would really help to theme the view of this area rather than the view being the giant parking garage along with maximizing land usage

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Nov 21. Today guests were being allowed to park in level 2 when the ground floor of the parking garage was filled.

Concrete surface being poured today in the service area between the new parking garage and AMC Dine-In Theaters.

IMG_3949.JPG

The exterior walls of the Springs Bottling Company were being removed to access the structure. It appears the original openings are being walled over (see second photo below). The arched roof of The Hangar is in the right background.

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

Here is an over-the-wall view of the new shaded park with low brick seating walls that will be at the end of Marketplace Causeway and in front of T-Rex Café.

IMG_3957.JPG

An example of the new street lighting (copper) in the park above. T-Rex Café is in the background.

IMG_3955.JPG

Finally, here is a view of the re-worked / re-shaped Springs riverbed between T-Rex Café and Raglan Road.

IMG_3954.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Nov 23.

New restrooms have opened up at The Landing, at the end of the unoccupied building along the passageway next to Portobello's. This is a new sign. The restrooms are down the lighted corridor. (I guess this counts as exciting news for some.....)

IMG_3996.JPG

An "over-the-wall" update on the uphill street next to Paradiso 37. Most of the street has new plantings and trees. The workmen are busy finishing out the brick star pattern on the pavement, half of which is already showing on the existing walkway.

IMG_3995.JPG

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Photo update as of Sunday, Nov 23.

New restrooms have opened up at The Landing, at the end of the unoccupied building along the passageway next to Portobello's. This is a new sign. The restrooms are down the lighted corridor. (I guess this counts as exciting news for some.....)

View attachment 74840

An "over-the-wall" update on the uphill street next to Paradiso 37. Most of the street has new plantings and trees. The workmen are busy finishing out the brick star pattern on the pavement, half of which is already showing on the existing walkway.

View attachment 74841
It's exciting if you really need to go;)

michmousefan

Here is an over-the-wall view of the new shaded park with low brick seating walls that will be at the end of Marketplace Causeway and in front of T-Rex Café.

View attachment 74724

From the photo, it certainly appears like this section might open sooner rather than later if they are being so aggressive in placing all of the landscaping and plantings... or is this section not going to open until the causeway is ready?

mm121

From the photo, it certainly appears like this section might open sooner rather than later if they are being so aggressive in placing all of the landscaping and plantings... or is this section not going to open until the causeway is ready?
thus far they've been opening things as they are being completed

though from the pics looks like the whole causeway is nearing completion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom