Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Lilofan

Well it would solve the problem if people with anxiety problems stayed the hell off it to begin with.
That pretty much describes a good amount of the U.S. poulation, worrying about many things, big and small. In my travels outside the US, the people that I came across in parts of Asia and Europe make less, have less, celebrate more, and don't worry as much about life, as we do in the USA. I know a bunch of worry worts that need to appreciate life each and everyday.

Disstevefan1

The big test will be what happens when the next malfunction occurs. We will see. The moment someone is stuck in a skyliner more than 20 minutes, they will post to social media and the information will spread fast. We will see.

drizgirl

The big test will be what happens when the next malfunction occurs. We will see. The moment someone is stuck in a skyliner more than 20 minutes, they will post to social media and the information will spread fast. We will see.
Yep. And if something does drag out again like the prior incident, Disney will be out of guest forgiveness and confidence.

Incomudro

If the operators of the Skyliner will give accurate information to guests about the delay, then half the problem will be solved. But if they continue to give vague replies to specific questions (such as, Q: "How long will the gondola be stuck.", A: "Please stay seated as the gondola may start at any moment.") then people are going to use their cell phones to get real answers.

Disney has to recognize that people trapped in a gondola for a period of time need specific answers. If Disney doesn't provide answers, or they are very vague, or if Disney is obfuscating then guests will light up social media and 911 to get the answers they deserve.

It's incumbent upon Disney to keep the Skyliner moving and if it stops, then they must provide specific and accurate information to all guests in the gondolas as to the nature and time of the delay. For short and routine delays a prerecorded message is fine. For longer delays a live cast member should be making the announcements and be ready and willing to answer any and all guest questions and to ally fears and to talk the guests right down to the ground if necessary.

Also, only the guests stuck in the gondola can determine if there is a real medical emergency. And the bottom line is that it is better to declare an emergency and call 911 and then find out you didn't really need them than fail to call 911 and find out later that someone suffered a serious health problem due to delayed medical care. It is always best to err on the side of caution.

I agree with you that in the event the Skyliner is stopped for a reason outside of its normal operating delays - the one's for which the automated message cues up - Disney needs the ability to address the occupants of the gondola's via a real live person relaying information about the delay.
Leaving people hanging - literally with no information about how long they may be there is insane.
Imagine being stuck for what for what you think might be a minute - which turns into 5 minutes, which turns into 15 minutes, a half hour, an hour, 3 hours... with no information?
That must never happen again.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

1) It's entirely possible someone could suffer their first panic attack on a gondola.

2) Any system that relies on people to self police is destined to have incidents like the one on 10/6. It's Disney's job to anticipate that.
Of course it is possible for that to happen, but that is not who I am referring too. Those that have had those problem in the past can easily avoid any problems by not risking hardship on hundreds of people while they test it out to see how it goes. This incident paints that picture perfectly. There were no injuries and if that individual hadn't panicked the delay would have been very small and all those people would have not had such a bad experience. Common sense should be the rule here, however there isn't much of that to go around lately. It is much easier to blame Disney for everything that doesn't go well. If Disney were to anticipate and plan action around every possibility that humankind can come up with all we would have there is a big swamp filled with alligators.

Goofyernmost

All of the lines do not enter a theme park... at least for a few more months. Once the France expansion is opened, that line will cross over themepark airspace.
I don't think it runs over, perhaps along side or within easy sight, if you wish. Of course, back in the day when the Skyway was open in MK, they used invisible gondola's so that no one's sensibility concerning immersion would be affected.

Bairstow

Yep. And if something does drag out again like the prior incident, Disney will be out of guest forgiveness and confidence.
Nah. That's a deep, deep well. With a system like this, future stoppages are inevitable. It would take multiple people, or perhaps a child getting hurt before the general parkgoing public would show significant pushback.

HiJe

Later in the call, the man indicates the door is open, although it’s unclear how. He tells the dispatcher: “I’m going to try to get her out ... I’m stuck now. Ow!” and then the line goes dead.

I was and am still totally fine with riding these things, but now worried about others that I travel with having anxiety about being trapped for so long. This line above from the article doesn't help.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Calling 911 because you are having a medical emergency while stuck on a gondola is perfectly acceptable. Calling 911 because the gondola has stopped and you don’t feel you are getting enough information about when it will start up again is illegal because it is not an emergency. Being frustrated by Disney not giving you enough information on a stalled ride is not a good reason to “light up” 911. People with a real emergency may not be able to get through.
Well, one good thing about the Skyliner is that they'll be able to give everyone who called 911 without an emergency a citation as they step off at the nearest station.

Lilofan

Later in the call, the man indicates the door is open, although it’s unclear how. He tells the dispatcher: “I’m going to try to get her out ... I’m stuck now. Ow!” and then the line goes dead.

I was and am still totally fine with riding these things, but now worried about others that I travel with having anxiety about being trapped for so long. This line above from the article doesn't help.
Wow. Those 911 calls were intense. The guests were clearly freaking out.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Sounds quite magical!
Then be like my friend here and don't abuse your 9-1-1 privileges!
tenor.gif

Raineman

OK, so here's the ultimate solution that should have been obvious before the Skyliner plan was put into place, and I can't believe no one has suggested it-forget the Skyliner, or even a monorail expansion, the answer to an added transportation system lies within Tomorrowland - the Peoplemover! (I'm only being a little sarcastic here, btw). Walt's original vision was to have a Peoplemover type system that covered all areas of his Progress City-why would this system not be a fit for resort-to-park transportation? Clone the system from TL with the covered track, and easily accessible evac paths on the side of the track, with stairs to the ground at regular intervals (over the sections of the system above dry land, anyway). Not sure how costly the system would be, but I don't imagine it would be more than a monorail covering the same routes. The TL version has stood up to Florida weather for decades now, and I'm sure an updated version of the conveyance tech on the Peoplemover would work just as well, or better, than the original in TL. Add to the fact that riders would not be cooped up inside a small cab, eliminating the anxiety caused by claustrophobia, and that the speed of the ride vehicles would be more than that of the Skyliner vehicles-I think it might work, if the cost didn't scare the Disney bean counters away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom