Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Incomudro

I used to feel the way you do about Mission Space, but not anymore. It's not about the G-forces, it's not about people getting hurt on it.

It's about being trapped in the ride vehicle due to malfunction. In my case, we sat strapped in the ride, with the control panel right in front of us and doors locked for an extended period of time before the simulation started. It was long enough that your mind starts to say "Is the ride malfunctioning?". It ended up being a slow loading issue with other people on the ride.

Since that incident, I also looked a bit more into the ride and apparently there are cases where the floor for the ride does not come back up at the end of the ride leaving people stuck in those compartments until a ride tech is brought in to fix the issue. I can't imagine how long that would take to have done. To me that would be the worst ride to be stuck on.

So as much as I used to love this ride, I now just enjoy the pre show and post show with my friends while they ride it.

My wife rode Mission Space once, and never again.
When that screen moved in just inches from her face, coupled with the being locked in the ride compartment for the duration - she was nervous.
People like her have a difficult time getting the "what if's" out of their head.
It matters little to them how many thousands of others come and go before them without a hitch.
I think Mission Space is cool - but I still only ri it because my son's want me to.
I really don't care for the borderline nausea.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
These are the lessons that I have learned over my 71 years. People get killed in cars so I'm never going to ride in a car again. People get killed in trains, boats and buses so they are off my list as well. Motorcycles? Are you kidding me. Everyday there are many deaths related to accidents involving bicycles. People have fallen while using roller boards/skates, hit their heads and died, they are out also. A lady was killed while walking on the sidewalk here last week, walking is now a no-no! I read somewhere that someone slipped and fell while taking a shower, bathing is now off the table. I guess that from now on it is going to be sitting in the house, dirty, smelly and unhappy, but, until I have that heart attack caused by inactivity I'm sure not going to ride in a Gondola and get stuck for a couple hours. That seems like suicide!
Nah. You’ll starve to death before that heart attack. So glad we got to meet when we did. 😘

Goofyernmost

The point wasn't to justify the poor safety decisons of the past. They were equally wrong. I was highlighting that both safety AND customer experience are now at the back of the line behind profits.

The difference is some people want to make money AND ALSO want people to have the best time possible and strike a balance between "give me every cent you have" and "I want you to enjoy this experience as much as I do". That was Walt. That is not Dis Corp.
Maybe Walt's intentions were honorable, it's kind of late to ask him now, but the happening we are citing was in 1974, a full eight years after Walt died. Even if that group had nothing but the best of intentions, to put peoples life in danger so they could all experience an enjoyable time one has to ask how death is classified as the enjoy the experience intent.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think they might have underestimated the amount of ECV users in general, but that said the only other option would have been to have it as another terminal station where everyone gets off and back on. They probably calculated that stopping it for those who need it is still more efficient then unloading everyone and having them get back on.

There was a discussion of this in the main Skyliner thread and there is a station design that would have allowed for ECV loading areas without people having to get off and back on.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Perhaps the issue was operator error (updating processes and training). However, maybe Disney/Doppelmayr are implementing software changes to mitigate the human error part (system updates). It would make sense that they already put this update on the Riviera line, since 1. this is where the accident occured and 2. this is where they will run into the issue of starting/restarting the line due to no ECV loading area (more frequent stops). The downtime on wednesday for the HS line would be to install the update and test that line.
I can just hear the conversations...
May 2019
Software Engineer 1: Do you zink ve should force a delay on ze in-station motion until ze cable is up to shpeed?
Software Engineer 2: No, nobody vould be shtupid enough to try and drop a gondola onto a shtopped cable.
Oct 2019
Software Engineer 1: How long should ve delay ze internal transport after ze haul rope is up to shpeed?
Software Engineer 2: Better make it a full 5 zeconds or zo...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Crashed into the interior infield barrier... which due to decisions to run cars in the opposite direction from what the track was designed for.. meant the barrier end faced into the direction of vehicle travel.. instead of away. Thus creating a safety hazard, that unfortunately contributed to the death of the instructor.

But we know that because details were released... not simply the company going "We've updated training and procedures..."
And ultimately, Disney not only closed, but destroyed all traces of the track.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are a business...they care for you as far as your money holds out.
It’s amazing how many people can’t grasp this statement AT all...

I guess life just must suck that much in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey??(someday I’ll confirm all 3 🤫 )
I can just hear the conversations...
May 2019
Software Engineer 1: Do you zink ve should force a delay on ze in-station motion until ze cable is up to shpeed?
Software Engineer 2: No, nobody vould be shtupid enough to try and drop a gondola onto a shtopped cable.
Oct 2019
Software Engineer 1: How long should ve delay ze internal transport after ze haul rope is up to shpeed?
Software Engineer 2: Better make it a full 5 zeconds or zo...
Wait...it was designed by sargeant Shultz???

I’m never going on that thing 🤪

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney didn't dream up the need for more parking to bury the death of an outside contractor. The inference of intent is how all this 'evil monster' crap starts and lives on...
Maybe they shouldn't have given up the parking space they had before they put the track in...

Either way, that's an awful lot of work for the equivalent of 8 lanes of parking spaces.

Magic Feather

Maybe they shouldn't have given up the parking space they had before they put the track in...
View attachment 418287

Either way, that's an awful lot of work for the equivalent of 8 lanes of parking spaces.
The forest in the middle of the established area is currently getting transplanted to the former speedway to open up a large new chunk of parking.

Disstevefan1

Disney Parks has shared an official statement regarding the Disney Skyliner accident that took place last Saturday:

We know many of you have been looking for an update on Disney Skyliner and are glad to share that it has reopened to guests today. Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner. We again offer our deepest apologies to the guests impacted by the malfunction that resulted in extended operating delays on Oct. 5.

Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, particularly when we need to accommodate guests who require additional time to load their cabin. We want to assure you that the comfort of every guest is important to us.

As a reminder, Disney Skyliner connects Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four Disney resort hotels: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort (and the forthcoming Disney’s Riviera Resort, a Disney Vacation Club resort set to open Dec. 16, 2019).

We greatly appreciate your ongoing patience and understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you back aboard Disney Skyliner.
There wasn't a vehicle malfunction but when the guest drove the Lamborghini at NASCAR racing speeds around the Richard Petty driving experience Disney oval track by the MK parking lot a few years ago he crashed into an embankment and the passenger, the Richard Petty driving instructor lost his life. Then shortly afterwards the track was closed. Loved hearing the roar of the race cars in the distance.

In my opinion, that crash was operator error! Just like what happens on all public roadways, every minute of every day. I think we can all agree statistically, it’s safer on a WDW attraction then on the public roadways

lazyboy97o

Crashed into the interior infield barrier... which due to decisions to run cars in the opposite direction from what the track was designed for.. meant the barrier end faced into the direction of vehicle travel.. instead of away. Thus creating a safety hazard, that unfortunately contributed to the death of the instructor.

But we know that because details were released... not simply the company going "We've updated training and procedures..."
I’m pretty sure those details were released as public records from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. It seems someone should request the file Reedy Creek is required to compile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom