Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

note2001

Skyliner is under Transportation, not Attractions. Attractions policies & procedures do not apply.
Are you sure? The boat operators on Crescent Lake are listed under attractions and are paid less than their counterparts over in the Bay Lake area. (Source: multiple boat skippers on Bay Lake some of whom started on Crescent Lake.)

Heck or fabio...

One more reason not to ride on the outside of the gondola.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
They also don’t have warning signs about potential stoppages for people with phobias, emergency kits and are rarely air conditioned. Elevators are a great analogue that people don’t freak out about. Reedy Creek even regulates gondolas like elevators.
At this point most people worry that the risk of it happening to them is much greater on a gondola than an elevator.

I've made it my whole life without ever getting stuck on an elevator once. Gondola odds feel much higher after Day 6. We'll need to see a whole year of operation to have reliable data but for now I can understand some concern. Is Vegas taking odds?

KBLovedDisney

At this point most people worry that the risk of it happening to them is much greater on a gondola than an elevator.

I've made it my whole life without ever getting stuck on an elevator once. Gondola odds feel much higher after Day 6. We'll need to see a whole year of operation to have reliable data but for now I can understand some concern. Is Vegas taking odds?
I had a "Tower of Terror" moment in our work elevator once and it scared me. I was alone trying to go to the third floor from the first of our building. The elevator decided to go straight up to 5th and without stopping went back down to the first floor. It has a mind of its own. Some days it works properly, some days it doesn't work at all.

BromBones

You're a brand new account... supposedly. So, what do you mean by "we all" and "we...thought"?

I've been reading these boards for quite a while before I decided to actually comment.
There are many people on here who had serious reservations and concerns about the skyliner.
And of course there are many on here who go out of their way to defend Disney no matter what happens.
and there are others who get rather confrontational with people who dare voice their opinions.
I often wonder if some of them actually work for Disney.

lazyboy97o

We have lots of data on reliability from Dopplemayr’s other systems.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought the rules of this forum were not to attack people. But from what I have observed having read these boards for a long while before choosing to comment...some people just want to attack others. I guess it's to make themselves feel important?
Either way it's unnecessary.
Unnecessary and boring except for the handful who do it. It seems some people need their opinions validated by having others agree with them and they can get quite upset with people who disagree.

joelkfla

Are you sure? The boat operators on Crescent Lake are listed under attractions and are paid less than their counterparts over in the Bay Lake area. (Source: multiple boat skippers on Bay Lake some of whom started on Crescent Lake.)
Yes, confirmed both by bus drivers and Skyliner hosts. Don't know about the Friendship Boats, but Sassagoula boats are also under Transportation.

The first Skyliner cast preview was for Transportation cast members. Numerous bus drivers in costume were spotted riding, before the widely announced cast previews started.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
We have lots of data on reliability from Dopplemayr’s other systems.
For safety, yes. For complications in WDW possibly exacerbating stoppage delays, not enough to determine average frequency of significant issues. Twice a month? Once a year? I do hope it's the latter.

Last edited:

Tanna Eros

Some of the blood was mine, most was the Goose's.
Heck or fabio...

I'm a wicked person. I kind of always found this funny, what with Fabio's cape and his crewe of Apollo-ettes. When they come into the station, the girls in the Roman gear look like they want to be anywhere but sitting there.
I don't think a goose smash has happened since, has it?

natatomic

One more reason not to ride on the outside of the gondola.

this is accurate. Friendship boats get paid less than other watercraft because friendship boats are technically attractions. A friend who is a friendship captain left and went to skyliner and he took a pay cut, so I’d imagine skyliner is under the attractions umbrella based on that, since transportation CMs get paid more.

Or it could just be the lowest transportation gig on property. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

natatomic

Question about the rappelling evacuation process. How does the rescuer first get up to the gondola to attach the ropes? I’m sure it’s somewhere in that other thread, but it’s soooo many pages to sift through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom