Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Tanna Eros

You are correct. Gators being in populated areas is becoming increasingly common. They went from being on verge of extinction (in florida) to now being a massive unchecked population. The hunting laws dont help this. But like black bears it takes alot of political capital to say go kill a bunch sadly.
Well, also, black bears look like primordial Scottish Terriers. There's an 'aw' factor with bears that alligators sadly lack.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Without the Skyliner being active, there is no reason for Guests to even be near there since it on the fringe of CBR and Riviera is still a construction site.

It was significant because it was the scene of the incident and would be at the nexus of the immediate investigation. Yet, the next morning... not a single tweet I could find about the station, the #108 gondola being there or not, nor activity around the station.

Tanna Eros

I have black bears (and turkeys :D) coming thru my property. My 90 square mile town is a protected watershed community that tries to retain a somewhat pristine state since the land supplies a large population of New Jersey with water. If bears are to be anywhere, it is here and it goes with the territory. People think bears are over-populated just because they see one.
Deer are a problem and they're near infinitely more dangerous than our local bears due to the road hazzard. Last month a friend of mine died when his motorcycle hit a deer. 3 years ago a co-worker's son died early AM on the way to work after hitting a deer. I've heard we have 10 times more deer than the natural counts back from Washington's time and 1800s.
The deer in my area are surprisingly plenty. I was strolling through an arboretum in my area, looked up, and that tree had a face. A deer was only 15 feet away from me- I froze, it froze, but at least it didn't charge. Those things are dangerous. My brother in law lost three cars in one year due to dear suddenly leaping across the road. When they take flight, you don't know the direction they'll go.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
It was significant because it was the scene of the incident and would be at the nexus of the immediate investigation. Yet, the next morning... not a single tweet I could find about the station, the #108 gondola being there or not, nor activity around the station.
There was an areal shot the next day that made the rounds on twitter showing the station with cab 108 in the station and security waving people off.

But to get there you basically have to have access to the CBR. Driving there doesn't guarantee they will let you in, and sure you could take a bus and walk there, but clearly it seems people aren't motivated to do that, and I doubt Disney is letting credentialed media anywhere near there, and those that do under the radar, will probably get some retaliation by Disney for doing so.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I hear what you are saying. We live in extreme northern Minnesota. We get many black bears each Spring. It is a routine to remove the bird feeders and put the trash cans in the garage each time. We also have cougars in the area, with many wolves. The bears are usually afraid of humans, and all we have to do is yell, Get, and they run away. Deer are also a road hazard here too. My daughter hit one 3months straight. The last one broke her side window and did some car damage. BUT, I wouldn't live anywhere else:)
Yep! I couldn't agree more.

Tanna Eros

At that time there were plenty of people actively hunting and eating them, not so much these days. When was the last time you saw a deer or bear fall over into perfectly packaged portions with nutritional information stickers?
My niece sent me a phone pic on her first date with a new fellow. It was of them dressing a deer. Josie Cotton's "He Could Be the One" went through my head.

stratman50th

Thanks. I seem to also remember reading, after the Grand Floridian incident, that they have been easing up on Disney's ability to relocate potential problem animals.
Disney has an active alligator removal program and are permitted to conduct removals at will (based on size and problem criteria). For those who believe they "relocate" alligators isn't exactly correct. They are euthanized. Florida has enough wild alligators without moving others into wild habitat. There's lots and lots of wild gators out there. I don't know about professional hunters but if you want to hunt them there is a season and 2 tags are allotted to recreational hunters. They are also based on location. They aren't endangered in Florida any longer. Yes I've looked into getting some tags to hunt. Last time I was on a boat from the Fort to MK I asked one of the cast members how often they see gators in the lake I was told "all the time". I was also told that they are removed at 3'. This is unusual as most are taken at 5' since at that size they can be considered a danger to humans. Actually, even a 5' gator is on the small side. Anyway, thought I'd throw that in there to keep the gondola thread going! LOL

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Disney has an active alligator removal program and are permitted to conduct removals at will (based on size and problem criteria). For those who believe they "relocate" alligators isn't exactly correct. They are euthanized. Florida has enough wild alligators without moving others into wild habitat. There's lots and lots of wild gators out there. I don't know about professional hunters but if you want to hunt them there is a season and 2 tags are allotted to recreational hunters. They are also based on location. They aren't endangered in Florida any longer. Yes I've looked into getting some tags to hunt. Last time I was on a bot from the Fort to MK I asked one of the cast members how often they see gators in the lake I was told "all the time". I was also told that they are removed at 3'. This is unusual as most are taken at 5' since at that size they can be considered a danger to humans. Actually, even a 5' gator is on the small side. Anyway, thought I'd throw that in there to keep the gondola thread going! LOL
Yeah...I knew about the euthanization, lol. Just didn't want to start a huge thread de-rail from people freaking out about Disney killing alligators.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There was an areal shot the next day that made the rounds on twitter showing the station with cab 108 in the station and security waving people off.

But to get there you basically have to have access to the CBR. Driving there doesn't guarantee they will let you in, and sure you could take a bus and walk there, but clearly it seems people aren't motivated to do that, and I doubt Disney is letting credentialed media anywhere near there, and those that do under the radar, will probably get some retaliation by Disney for doing so.

Access didn't stop coverage during construction... the station is readily viewable from guest areas and the road.. even if you weren't allowed to approach the station. Dunno.. I just found it really odd that all these blogging armies can be on something in 30mins.. but can't be bothered to cover the actual scene of the incident and Disney's reaction.

like.. why haven't people been watching the CBR hub to see if Disney has been offloading any gondolas or not as part of the work.. or where is #108? You'd think they stalk it until it went somewhere backstage.. etc etc.

lazyboy97o

What? It's not a "fantastic irrelevancy." The point is that for people saying they are afraid of the gondolas, nearly every mode of transportation can take an exceedingly long time for recuse when the fire department is involved, including those trapped in an elevator (people were stuck in elevators for hours in NY this past summer when mid-town had a power outage) or those on the monorail (people were stuck up to 90 minutes two weeks ago when the beam lost power and had to be rescued by RCID).
They also don’t have warning signs about potential stoppages for people with phobias, emergency kits and are rarely air conditioned. Elevators are a great analogue that people don’t freak out about. Reedy Creek even regulates gondolas like elevators.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Access didn't stop coverage during construction... the station is readily viewable from guest areas and the road.. even if you weren't allowed to approach the station. Dunno.. I just found it really odd that all these blogging armies can be on something in 30mins.. but can't be bothered to cover the actual scene of the incident and Disney's reaction.

like.. why haven't people been watching the CBR hub to see if Disney has been offloading any gondolas or not as part of the work.. or where is #108? You'd think they stalk it until it went somewhere backstage.. etc etc.

The Saturday night twitter parade of pictures and videos was only because there was action happening. That leaves for the most part the Disblogger and Distwitterer to go after this, and many of those people may not want to upset their access and freebee comps the mouse gives them for positive coverage.

You know like what the NBA is doing now....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom