Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

tissandtully

I'm also wondering what Rob at Passport to the Parks reaction to all this, but he's been oddly silent about it all on YouTube, no videos for at least a week. He usually had some decent info and also some informed sources who would chime in.

ImperfectPixie

more info on how turkeys are a menace please?
I wouldn't say menace...more like a nuisance. They walk into traffic and can cause accidents. I was driving next to someone who hit one at nearly 70mph...it EXPLODED and did damage to the grill of the pickup. They also are not kind to your yard - they scratch and dig to the point that they can ruin your lawn.

Heppenheimer

Are there other instances of this happening on other gondola systems? @Lift Blog probably knows?
I was once stuck on a ski gondola for 30 minutes. I do not know the reason for the stoppage, but I'm pretty certain nobody made a 911 call that prompted an evac... I'm not even sure an evac would have been physically possible along most of the gondola span, except near the bottom of this particular mountain.

tissandtully

I was once stuck on a ski gondola for 30 minutes. I do not know the reason for the stoppage, but I'm pretty certain nobody made a 911 call that prompted an evac... I'm not even sure an evac would have been physically possible along most of the gondola span, except near the bottom of this particular mountain.
Yeah it's interesting, cause I believe most gondolas don't have a ground-based evacuation plan. It would be the zip line deal like we saw practice for, so technically should be one of the fastest evacs comparatively, just can't believe all the drama around this..

ImperfectPixie

There's the catch - how many people who have a fear of heights or are claustrophobic are also skiers?

tissandtully

Also wanted to bring an example of a system that probably doesn't get the same level of attention the one at WDW gets as far as maintenance and works just fine.
TTC World on Ta Cu Mountain in Vietnam has a Doppelmayr system with smaller cabins, so if the Vietnamese can figure it out and keep it safe, Disney definitely can.

Some photos I took below, and a video here...

IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_1440.jpg
IMG_4331.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Been getting reports of constant and consistent testing on all lines (but mostly Epcot) to get back to standard. Do we know if the damaged gondola is still on the service spur at Riviera.

For some reason the locals don't seem to be monitoring and reporting on the station at all... which is confusing to me

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For some reason the locals don't seem to be monitoring and reporting on the station at all... which is confusing to me

Locals have no need of the gondolas, they don't stay at a gondola resort.

And they haven't developed the obsessive interest that comes from decades of nostalgia such as those that know the entire maintenance and paint history of monorail lime.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Been getting reports of constant and consistent testing on all lines (but mostly Epcot) to get back to standard. Do we know if the damaged gondola is still on the service spur at Riviera.

For what it's worth a Twitter person tweeted that it was removed earlier in the week, I have to see if I can find the tweet.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

Without the Skyliner being active, there is no reason for Guests to even be near there since it on the fringe of CBR and Riviera is still a construction site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom