Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

I’m wondering if they miscalculated how long it could take to unload a car. If passengers are unable to get out in that allocated time, what is the procedure to delay new arrivals? I’ve seen buses where it took upwards of five minutes for a scooter passenger to disembark for various reasons. So if a skyliner car pulls into a station, and a scooter fails to operate and the passenger is unable to egress, what happens? Could that be a reason for the numerous stops reported?
The problem wasn’t incoming. The blue gondola failed to depart and the following gondolas failed to stop. If they can figure out why and fix both those issues they should be good.

And of course, they could also stand to improve their evac plan but not sure they will be required to do that.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Can't wait for the end of the night though...during the day when it's hottest is when missing emergency kit supplies pose the largest hazard.
The mention of a small red light alerting sounds like a great option. The supplies and the guest can be dealt with right away. I could see that method quickly educating and discouraging people from unnecessary use.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Maybe everybody should receive icy cold water pack and pp cup upon boarding. That will proactively alleviate 99.9% consumer issues :p

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It seems, according to some, that WDW is its own sovereign nation and does not need to answer to county, state, or federal jurisdictions. WDW need not bother with the laws of God nor man.

RCID operates similar to a Florida county. But doesn't tax "residents" (all 40 of them).

Can't wait for the end of the night though...during the day when it's hottest is when missing emergency kit supplies pose the largest hazard.
Yes you absolutely could. A check once every 24 hours should be more than enough to cover them. There is only so much corporate responsibility required. And again, I don’t believe for a second that this is happening with any significant frequency. I’ve yet to see an actual news report stating the absence of emergency kits.

ImperfectPixie

Yes you absolutely could. A check once every 24 hours should be more than enough to cover them. There is only so much corporate responsibility required. And again, I don’t believe for a second that this is happening with any significant frequency. I’ve yet to see an actual news report stating the absence of emergency kits.
Well, we never thought we'd see this large of an incident less than a week into operation, either...is guests potentially suffering heat stroke a risk Disney wants to take? Not likely.

Regarding emergency kits: to borrow from healthcare, we are required to check the code cart/defibrillator once per 24 hours. I can’t see Disney checking for an emergency kit more frequently than once per day. Not realistic.

Nor is wiring the kit to an alarm even remotely a possibility.

I standby my concerns about an emergency mid-day in July, but I don’t think a supposed report of missing kits is a large issue. If the kit is missing, great time to use callbox/911 if it is needed in an emergency is not there. I truly think the emergency kit is not and never was an issue.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I don't legal responsibility is as important to WDW as potential outcomes. For the many guests that are pregnant or diabetic etc, a water pack may really increase their comfort level when stuck. Disney doesn't need the bad PR when easily preventable. They'll need a way to keep the emergency packs a reliable source. The fix doesn't need to be complicated or expensive.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I have black bears (and turkeys :D) coming thru my property. My 90 square mile town is a protected watershed community that tries to retain a somewhat pristine state since the land supplies a large population of New Jersey with water. I've heard we have 10 times more deer than the natural counts back from Washington's time and 1800s.

At that time there were plenty of people actively hunting and eating them, not so much these days. When was the last time you saw a deer or bear fall over into perfectly packaged portions with nutritional information stickers?

tissandtully

At that time there were plenty of people actively hunting and eating them, not so much these days. When was the last time you saw a deer or bear fall over into perfectly packaged portions with nutritional information stickers?
Lol, this thread is now about black bears and turkeys. For a thread about a form of transportation that travels on a straight line, it sure is off course.

Minnesota disney fan

I have black bears (and turkeys :D) coming thru my property. My 90 square mile town is a protected watershed community that tries to retain a somewhat pristine state since the land supplies a large population of New Jersey with water. If bears are to be anywhere, it is here and it goes with the territory. People think bears are over-populated just because they see one.
Deer are a problem and they're near infinitely more dangerous than our local bears due to the road hazzard. Last month a friend of mine died when his motorcycle hit a deer. 3 years ago a co-worker's son died early AM on the way to work after hitting a deer. I've heard we have 10 times more deer than the natural counts back from Washington's time and 1800s.

I hear what you are saying. We live in extreme northern Minnesota. We get many black bears each Spring. It is a routine to remove the bird feeders and put the trash cans in the garage each time. We also have cougars in the area, with many wolves. The bears are usually afraid of humans, and all we have to do is yell, Get, and they run away. Deer are also a road hazard here too. My daughter hit one 3months straight. The last one broke her side window and did some car damage. BUT, I wouldn't live anywhere else:)

TrojanUSC

What in the world does that have to do with the topic. You just clouded the conversation with a fantastic irrelevancy.

What? It's not a "fantastic irrelevancy." The point is that for people saying they are afraid of the gondolas, nearly every mode of transportation can take an exceedingly long time for recuse when the fire department is involved, including those trapped in an elevator (people were stuck in elevators for hours in NY this past summer when mid-town had a power outage) or those on the monorail (people were stuck up to 90 minutes two weeks ago when the beam lost power and had to be rescued by RCID).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom