Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

joelkfla

A window panel on the blue cabin shattered - It was tempered glass. The other panels are likely tempered glass as well. Photo is on twitter.. and in this thread somewhere too

ETA: here you go... my remix :)
View attachment 416951

But no, we don't have reports of that glass falling on any guests.
Thanks, I see it now.

The manufacturer website confirms that the main windows on the Omega V are polycarbonate. I don't think they're selling Omega IV's anymore, so I couldn't find any info specific to that model.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I do feel a bit bad for Disney for the way it's played out. Most news going around centers on the panic attack while very few mention the additional history of seizures. The night's events snowballed from there.

Rescue had to respond to seizure risk immediately, removing the possibility that all guests could've just disembarked at the station. Poor unfortunate roll of the dice and crapped out. If for nothing else some decent lessons were learned, but the PR is now a fiasco.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Rescue had to respond to seizure risk immediately, removing the possibility that all guests could've just disembarked at the station. Poor unfortunate roll of the dice and crapped out. If for nothing else some decent lessons were learned, but the PR is now a fiasco.

Not quite. They did the mid-line evac because they --couldn't-- move the cabins to the stations at that point in time. Not that the evac prevented that.

The evac stalled the work to clear the line and get to the point where they could move the cabins.

Where the evac was done, they were only about 1200ft from the EPCOT station (and ~1000ft from the turn). They could have gotten her to a station (even if it were just the turn station) very quickly if the line were movable.

The mid-line evac took almost 90mins. Obviously that's not the first choice :)

allgiggles

People do crazy, fearful stuff at amusement parks all the time -- for some people, that's the point. A ton of people will try the Skyliner out, but very few of them will be people who have true phobias. The people who ride will be people who have fears but feel confident they can reasonably manage that during the ride. Most of them will be right, and a few won't.

I hope you are able to try it out and I hope you love it!

I fall in this category. I'm terribly claustrophobic and also suffer from acrophobia. We always stay at Pop or AoA and I want my family to be able to use this transportation (they're all excited about it). We won't be there until next summer, but I'm doing everything I can to prepare myself for riding the Skyliner. I have a game plan -- I will ride it on arrival day when we only plan to spend a few hours at a park. If I have a total panic attack, I'll get off at CBR and Uber/Lyft to the park. Or maybe I'll only need a few minutes of "down" time at CBR and I'll be ready to try the last leg of the trip to whatever park we're going to. I will take my anti-anxiety meds before we attempt to ride and now I know that I should keep a few of those meds with me in case the system would go down for an extended period of time while we're on it and I would need a little "boost" from my meds. I know my fears are irrational, but that doesn't mean they don't feel very real to me. I work at overcoming them or at least learning how to deal with them. Having a back-up plan for when I encounter them (like this situation) makes me feel a little more at ease.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks, I see it now.

The manufacturer website confirms that the main windows on the Omega V are polycarbonate. I don't think they're selling Omega IV's anymore, so I couldn't find any info specific to that model.
View attachment 416953

I believe liftblog labeled Disney's as IV cabins. The main advantage of poly should be weight savings. I'm speculating that the cabins are a mix... some panels glass, some poly. Should be pretty easy to tell by knocking on them.

mm121

Not quite. They did the mid-line evac because they --couldn't-- move the cabins to the stations at that point in time. Not that the evac prevented that.

The evac stalled the work to clear the line and get to the point where they could move the cabins.

Where the evac was done, they were only about 1200ft from the EPCOT station (and ~1000ft from the turn). They could have gotten her to a station (even if it were just the turn station) very quickly if the line were movable.

There is no unloading platform at the turn, it is lower to the ground however so that may, I repeat may, have speed up the evacuation

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is no unloading platform at the turn, it is lower to the ground however so that may, I repeat may, have speed up the evacuation

Yes, which is why I said "(even if it were just the turn station)" - as it is an inferior choice vs a regular station. I'm not clear if their system would allow running them backwards to return to EPCOT. At the TURN station even without a platform they could use lifting platforms vs the fire bucket, etc. They were using these types of lifts for cabins closer to the ground near the riviera station.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No

Thanks for the clearer details. Without a need to evac, it could've just been a delay to get the line running again and return the occupied gondolas to the ground station.

With both a cabin collision AND an evac procedure, the news piqued more interest than if only one occurred. But isn't that the way it goes... when it rains, it pours.

Tanna Eros

Some of that isn't lack of intelligence, it is a sense of entitlement. There's a big difference.
As a small town person, I'm going to say some of it is 'small town' think, where's there's always time and less people, so there's not a rush or call to be efficient. It drives me crazy. I stand in line, money in hand. I think of a lot of the people you listed are more used to amusement parks and not big theme parks, anyway.

ImperfectPixie

As a small town person, I'm going to say some of it is 'small town' think, where's there's always time and less people, so there's not a rush or call to be efficient. It drives me crazy. I stand in line, money in hand. I think of a lot of the people you listed are more used to amusement parks and not big theme parks, anyway.
Ohhhh....I forgot about that. It drove me and hubby both nuts when we moved away from the city. We don't notice it as much now, but it's definitely still there.

beertiki

Curious about 2 things:

1) is that you in the picture with the large fish?

2) if indeed that is you, is that a Zambezi aka bull behind you? I can't really tell; but it looks like decent sized a bull.

If that is you and if that is a Zambezi you might want to reassess your position on the totem pole of intelligence.

Reef shark. I prefer to keep bull sharks where I can see them.

Tanna Eros

Ohhhh....I forgot about that. It drove me and hubby both nuts when we moved away from the city. We don't notice it as much now, but it's definitely still there.
We are a Cracker Barrel people, as low and slow as Sam Elliott's voice.
If the bus driver at Fort Wilderness and Chip and Dale didn't cotton onto my plan of escaping my family on the second day of my trip, I would have experienced WDW through a molasses haze. You'd think the sap in our veins would run more freely in such a hot place as Florida, but it only makes us more confused by our natural depletion of electrolytes.

Tanna Eros

With three daughters, I have a hard time understanding people who just cant seem to keep their lives together when going on to transport. Just insanity that a family who is there wouldn't take the five minutes on arrival at their hotel to learn the process and transport options that are needed for the entire trip.

These must be the same people that go on trips to New York and take random colored "cabs" that do a random route and charge $100 for a five block ride. I just don't get how people can make a trip and not even have the basics of where they are going.
My mom. In New York, I ditched her, too.

Orangeanna

More local news articles with guests who were trapped for almost 4 hours( that's the time now) and seriously angry at Disney. Not bc it stopped but bc of Disney's response. Stated a 6 year old girl in full panic, almost hyperventilating and children having to pee in the blue bag which then leaked on the floor! My 8 year old daughter would be mortified! Only one bag of water was found. Im assuming the others were taken. It doesn't matter by who, blaming them won't help a thirsty hot guest. Disney's response to these things lately has not been even adequate, much less worthy of the Disney name. I'm assuming glass had to at least fall on some guest whom we haven't heard from, maybe bc Disney got to them first. All the cabins seem to have been occupied bc it was near park closing. I could be wrong but I think dis paid them off quick, right then and there or that night. Why no interviews by guests rescued by fire dept? Its continued pretty big news here in orlando.

drizgirl

Adding numbers to the bottom of the cabins definitely sounds like something that should be considered to speed up any future evacuations
I bet they don't do it. Seeing the numbers will make people wonder why they're there. But hopefully they'll put some sort of tracking system in place regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom