Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
So are the conspiracy nuts.

I dont know about you... but i wont be riding until disney can provide me a full recliner so my back doesn’t cramp, wifi so i dont miss out on any of my social media posts, 3 usb ports per person so my devices dont die, and uber eats delivery per cabin because you know i cant function if someone delays my meal patterns.

Anything less, would be uncivilized

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
rkgf692qxxq31.jpg

*Cue spooky laugh*
Of course, there's always MY way...
peter-pan-captain-hook-crocodile.gif

Last edited:

MikeWhitis

Seeing all of the various stops they've had since he system started, including this 1, makes me wonder if the problem really isn't people who are riding the system, not the system itself! Even though this is the same type of system that is put in at ski resorts, the riders are very different.

At ski resorts the riders ride the lifts multiple times per day many days of the year. I'm sure most of the people riding the Disney system have never written a gondola in their life. In addition the gondolas are being loaded with young children, adults, grandparents, strollers, wheelchairs etc. The much wider range certainly is bound to cause problems. Unfortunately these problems can't be worked out over time because majority of the people visiting don't visit regularly enough to know how to use the system.
Yep, was thinking the same thing this morning.
Imagine being stranded up there and have a thunderstorm blow in. Its possible.

We were watching Monday night as that scenario appeared to be playing out. Line had been stopped for 30-45 minutes when they closed the Epcot station and emptied us out of the queue. Rain ended up being minimal, but the clouds rolling in looked Mingus, and I’m sure it wasn’t a fun time to be in a gondola.

Last edited:

joelkfla

Its not the decision you rush to because it is the slowest and most risky. You do everything you can to avoid using it, and only use it as the last resort. They knew they had an incident they could reach... so the most prudent thing to do was try to clear it so the line could be moved. The evaluation of that situation and the time to remedy it takes time.

Since the situation appeared to be recoverable... you dont evac. What we dont know is, if it took longer than expected, or if they changed their mind and started an evac, or if it was just specific evacs, etc.

Evacs will always be slow to start unless some catastrophic happens... because you literally want to exhaust all other potentials first.
OK, but not 90 minutes. After Doppelmayr had 30 minutes, or even 15 minutes, to get things moving, and they were unsuccessful, evacuations should have commenced.

MissingDisney

This is the most popular travel destination on the face of the planet, not a bank branch. The fact that it was a weekend night should never be an excuse for having inexperienced leadership (not assuming this was the case, however).
It’s not being used as an excuse....or even reasoning. Thus our new member who is a fan of Lilo uses subjective terms like “Most likely“ and “probably“. Sounds like someone is bitter about being passed up on a “leadership” position. The same person was also certain this was caused by incorrect weight distribution, among other things.

Brer Oswald

They really, really should’ve just poured that money into new Monorail trains. Or rather, maybe even a couple new attractions. It does not matter if this gets fixed, a lot of people are turned off of this system. And lord help them if this ever happens again. Normally I have some sort of idea on how to fix this, but this time, I just can’t think of one. It’s a shame as this idea sounded great on paper.

I love the homage, but I guess the Skyway closed for a reason.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The lift truck is only required for the highest portions over Caribbean Beach. Most of the line can be reached with more standard lifts.

There is a good chance that agency is the Reedy Creek Improvement District.
In Florida the DOA (Department of AGRICULTURE) handles amusement park regulation and Florida exempts theme parks with 1000 or more employees from oversight. So unless there was any criminality, this one is all on TWDC.

UNCgolf

When a bus has an issue it's a lot easier to evac and take care of those passengers than when a plane has an issue. Are we advocating against air travel?

There are tradeoffs with everything.

That's not a good comparison because air travel is much much much faster than bus travel. If they took exactly the same amount of time (or were relatively similar), almost no one would use airplanes. I'm sure the gondolas are faster than taking buses (if they weren't, there would have been no reason to build them -- I don't think they're any faster than monorails, though), but it's certainly not a difference of multiple hours or days.

Regardless, this thread has been enjoyable. It's like reading a political discussion between party loyalists. The numbers of people who either think the sky is falling and the Skyliner is a massive disaster or who are so defensive about Disney that they can't even admit this was actually a significant issue (if only because of the evacuation problems) or that people have a right to be upset are absolutely hilarious.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yes. I think nobody wanted to be the one that called the first evac of the system so they delayed and tried to avoid.

My opinion is that the crash was a relatively minor incident (still bad) that was made much worse by poor decision making after the fact combined with a very difficult evac process. There are worse incidents around the resort involving buses, boats, monorails, attraction vehicles and more every month. If people only knew the things that happen.

Too bad they can't confiscate everyone’s cameras, destroy the film, and give it back to you anymore. Ahhh simpler times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom